Anti-booze Campaigners Sign Up Surayud

george

As others have said I doubt under-age drinking will be affected much - I thought you had to be 20 already anyway.

A blanket ban on advertising though will affect many - I know of one charity even that will be significantly affected if they have to stop the sponsorship through this.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have laws already.

What they don't have is enforcement :o

Exactly! What do laws matter when there is no real enforcement and when the country is so far down the dark road of corruption to return to the bright avenues of justice and integrity.

With corruption existing in every sector of Thai society, what are old and new laws gonna do anyway?

I see they must have made a compromise with the alcohol companies as the first draft of this law the age was 25. The same thing will happen here as in the US. Teens will get illeagal ID cards so those that want to drink will still be able to drink. What needs to be done is the penalty for drunk driving needs to be increased. This is the only way to curb drunk driving.

Edited by Rdrokit

The booze, the coyotees and the issue of sex among teenagers is more important than... let me pick up something... oh yes.... 9 people massacred in the south today.

Indeed. Voila.

The top priorities of this governement are clear. The PM Surayud and his Bozo Clowns Ministers Band's, is another shame for the country. At least he's not alone... The list is so long.

:o

They have laws already.

What they don't have is enforcement :o

Exactly! What do laws matter when there is no real enforcement and when the country is so far down the dark road of corruption to return to the bright avenues of justice and integrity.

With corruption existing in every sector of Thai society, what are old and new laws gonna do anyway?

I agree, this regime, (I will not call it a government) came into existance because of alleged 'Political corruption' . Well what are they doing about the endemic corruption thrughout Thai society. Where are the headlines in the papers telling us of corrupt officials/business men being sentenced to hard labour in prison. Where is the anti corruption squad? What they are doing is passing stupid laws, which will not be upheld, because of corruption. Thailand is slowly creeping up the corruption tables (according to Bangkok Post), and slowly regressing into a third rate state. The problem is that the political/military elite are so incestuous, that they are like a pack of cards, one goes they all go. I suppose we will have to look on as usual and watch incompetance rule. Rather like the UK with NULABOR and Gordon Brown , full of faeces and wind but not very effective.

When will this country catch itself on as to how totally stupid it comes across to the rest of the world with the draconian, pathetic, not to mention stupid, laws and policies it comes out with.

I think this country should catch you - and get you out of this country.

If anyone should be removed from anywhere it's you. This is a discussion forum where people are at liberty to, within limits, express their opinions. If you disagree with those opinions so be it but to suggest deportation for anyone you don't like is repulsive to say the least.

What's wrong about not selling alcohols to people under 20 years old?

What's wrong about not advertising an item that is the cause of hundreds of deaths every year?

So we should ban advertisements for cars should we? They kill hundreds of people a year with or without the aid of alcohol

No - no please don't come with "not advertising will not stop the people from drinking" because I will ask

If advertising doesn't boost the sales, then why do they advertise?

So why do people drink lao khaw? I've never seen an advertisement for that. In the same vein, if they stopped advertising ya ba people would stop taking that.

Everybody knows that the fist step to sell a product is advertising (that's why it is so expensive, because you have no choice). So logically the first step to reduce sales is to stop advertising.

Great idea, without the expenditure on advertising booze could be even cheaper. First bit of sense you've spoken.

By the way, if something comes stupid across to you, that doesn't mean it comes stupid across to everybody. If you thought you were the rest of the world - that would be very stupid.

As opposed to you who, despite all the posts decrying this move, know that you are the rest of the world. But using your logic that makes you very stupid. The second bit of sense you've spoken.

British hooliganism finds its way to Thailand. Awesome.

Can't wait until England comes for a football match against Thailand and some Muay Thai fighters kick some British hooligan ass. :o

Can't do it one to one. It happens and it always takes at least five of em to jump ONE falang in Pattaya.

Your idiot views of the typical brit football supporter are 15 years out of date at least.

Its all just a big show (as usual) by the authorities. Cheap booze mollifies the masses here that Bangkok disenfranchises and exploits. They would rather have them drunk and happy than sober, pissed-off, and marching into the capital.

Some gobshite will cut an image of a whisky bottle in half, they'll all cheer; and then on to the next pressing issue of the day...

When will this country catch itself on as to how totally stupid it comes across to the rest of the world with the draconian, pathetic, not to mention stupid, laws and policies it comes out with.

Totally agree, the banning of alcohol advertising is just pathetic. Goodbye Bangkok Rock 2008, and alos major sporting events like the Johnny Walker Classic and others. Back deeper in to the Third World we go, why can they not wait for a democratically elected government to deliberate on major issues like this?

Not sure it will completely eliminate rock concerts in general. Take Pattaya International Music Festival this weekend for example. 3 days of rock music and I doubt very much that I will have a hard time finding a Beer Chang if I so wish. Maybe I won't see it on the advertisements (replaced by stuff like MTV, UBC, Mobile Phone Companies, etc.). Looking forward to seeing Ebola, Big Ass and especially interested in seeing the new singer of Silly Fools actually try and sing in Thai (he's not). Anyway, my point being.... There will still be festivals as companies like DTAC, Motorola, Nokia, LG, GMM Grammy Music, etc., will jump in for the alcohol companies to vie for the kids money.

To all of those who cite laws in other countries as rationale for similar laws in Thailand, there is one major difference. In the U.S., if you are stopped while driving erratically and test above the legal limit for alcohol you are cuffed and taken to the slammer immediately no ifs, ands or buts about it. Doesn't matter if you are man, woman, judge, priest, Big-wig politician or Bill Gates, you're going to spend some time behind bars. Then you re going to spend big bucks for a lawyer hoping that you can keep your license. If you are a repeat offender, you will see jail time as well.

I have no objection to having laws against alcohol sales to minors, and totally support strong measures against drunk driving. But untill Thailand cuts the hyprocisy of laws without enforcement, I have little respect for these self-serving measures.

In my state it is a minimum of one night in jail. They even passed a law that if you get convicted 3 tims you lose you car but I think it got overturned.

Alcohol Control Act needs support from NLA

The Network against Alcohol Risks requests the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) to support the draft of the Alcohol Control Act.

Today (March, 14th), more than 300 members of the network has arranged activities as parts of the campaign against alcohol consumption in front of the Parliament Building. The activities include rites to offer merits to those whose cause of death is from alcohol consumption and a forum to share experiences on the upside of alcohol.

The Cabinet has already approved the draft of the Alcohol Control Act. The network seeks NLA’s support for the Act especially punishments of those who violate the Act and bans on all forms of alcohol advertisement.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 14 March 2007

To all of those who cite laws in other countries as rationale for similar laws in Thailand, there is one major difference. In the U.S., if you are stopped while driving erratically and test above the legal limit for alcohol you are cuffed and taken to the slammer immediately no ifs, ands or buts about it. Doesn't matter if you are man, woman, judge, priest, Big-wig politician or Bill Gates, you're going to spend some time behind bars. Then you re going to spend big bucks for a lawyer hoping that you can keep your license. If you are a repeat offender, you will see jail time as well.

I have no objection to having laws against alcohol sales to minors, and totally support strong measures against drunk driving. But untill Thailand cuts the hyprocisy of laws without enforcement, I have little respect for these self-serving measures.

In my state it is a minimum of one night in jail. They even passed a law that if you get convicted 3 tims you lose you car but I think it got overturned.

The car or the law?

Teens will get illeagal ID cards so those that want to drink will still be able to drink.

I've seen them, and every other fake ID possible, on sale in Kao Sarn Road, right in front of the patrolling police, who even chat and joke with the peope selling.

No wonder no one takes this country seriously.

Questions?? Will it be enforce?? Will all the local mom and pop shops be monitor for selling booze to minors. My guess mostly LAX at the most. Next to impossible to monitor all the little mom and pop shops. Fake ID cards will go up in price for sure.

This appears to basically be the same legislation they were discussing several months ago...But when Johnnie Walker threatened to cancel the golf tournament, everything quieted down...Golf tournament is over, so now we start it all over again...TIT

If anyone should be removed from anywhere it's you. This is a discussion forum where people are at liberty to, within limits, express their opinions. If you disagree with those opinions so be it but to suggest deportation for anyone you don't like is repulsive to say the least.

What's wrong about not advertising an item that is the cause of hundreds of deaths every year?

So we should ban advertisements for cars should we? They kill hundreds of people a year with or without the aid of alcohol

No - no please don't come with "not advertising will not stop the people from drinking" because I will ask

So why do people drink lao khaw? I've never seen an advertisement for that. In the same vein, if they stopped advertising ya ba people would stop taking that.

Everybody knows that the fist step to sell a product is advertising (that's why it is so expensive, because you have no choice). So logically the first step to reduce sales is to stop advertising.

Great idea, without the expenditure on advertising booze could be even cheaper. First bit of sense you've spoken.

By the way, if something comes stupid across to you, that doesn't mean it comes stupid across to everybody. If you thought you were the rest of the world - that would be very stupid.

As opposed to you who, despite all the posts decrying this move, know that you are the rest of the world. But using your logic that makes you very stupid. The second bit of sense you've spoken.

Two things I like about your comment.

1. I love red color (bold letters would even have looked better, but anyhow, it's nice)

2. You are not the one who determines the limits of liberty to express expression here.

Two things I like about your comment.

1. I love red color (bold letters would even have looked better, but anyhow, it's nice)

2. You are not the one who determines the limits of liberty to express expression here.

As I said previously, this thread when being read by Thais, is becoming highly amusing.

He he, here we go again, introduction of yet more laws for the overworked Thai Police to enforce.

It's great isn't it, Thai goverments are nowadays always providing us with great topics for our rantings and musings.

I have several comments to make :-

1. This is again a continuation of some sort of "moral campaign" against drugs and alcohol abuse that has been going on now for about 10 years and more recently aimed at the Thai youth. It's probably a good thing for Thai people in general because someone needs to try to put some brakes on drug and alcohol abuse.

2. The campaign is not aimed at Farangs in particular but like previous introductions of new laws, as a side effect it will have some impact on Farangs both tourist and long term expats.

3. The ban on advertising alcohol, to my mind, is probably a good thing if one accepts that overall reduction in alcohol consumption in Thai population is desirable. I'm sure it will have some effect on consumption and in particular on some drinking by young people. Let's face it we don't need to encourage people to consume alcohol, do we.

4. Maybe the 20 year age restriction is a bit harsh, perhaps 18 yrs would have been fairer. Sorry for the teenage Farang tourists who will probably get annoyed if they are refused to be served a drink sometimes.

5. Sure there will be a loss in revenues and business to advertisers and vendors of alchohol but there you go. New social laws sometimes impact business. Governments will not stop creating new laws because of adverse business reasons, they will make their calculations on the economic consequences and decide accordingly. Look at the Tory party in the UK, they propose to introduce "green" taxes on air travel. The airlines are up in arms about it because it will impact their revenues.

6. There were some various comments in this thread on how it's one thing to introduce a law but it's totally another thing to enforce it. That's very true, but new laws have a high profile and a momentum of their own, so for certain this law will be enforced here and there and maybe in some places not at all. One poster on this thread was hinting that bg's over 20 can sell themselves legally in bars. As far as I know, prostitution is totally illegal in Thailand anywhere and under any circumstances but this is one law that to my knowledge is very rarely enforced ! As an aside, there were moves some years ago against massage houses in Bangkokand the big shots who owned them, so even the sex trade can come under the official spotlight and be hit by the "moral campaign".

7. I guess my final comment is aimed at the expat moaners and whiners about these new laws. Sorry guys, lets face it, Thailand is changing. The old freewheeling days when anything goes has gone forever and it won't come back. So please accept there will be changes and that nothing in this Universe stays the same forever. Thailand is still a great place to stay or visit and the culture, the people and the life in Thailand are still great.

Cheers

Chips

(P.S. No, I do not work for T.A.T.)

Chaipranin Visudhipol, a former president of the Advertising Association of Thailand, hopes the NLA will understand that the problem has more to do with poor law enforcement than anything else.

''A total ad ban cannot reduce consumption. White liquor accounts for 80% to total alcohol sales although it has never been advertised,'' he said.

cite

Cabinet approves alcohol consumption control bill

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet Tuesday approved a bill to control alcohol consumption and prohibit advertisement of alcoholic drinks.

Public Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla said the bill would provide comprehensive control of alcohol consumption.

Among other things, it would prohibit the sale of alcoholic drinks to people under 20 years old.

It would also set zoning for alcoholic drinks sale and consumption, he said, adding that the sale would be prohibited near temples and schools.

The bill would be submitted to the National Legislative Assembly for deliberation soon.

-- The Nation 2007-03-13

Anti-booze campaigners sign up Surayud

BANGKOK: -- Campaigners trying to reduce the availability of alcohol in Thailand - through restrictions on sales and advertising - have enlisted a high-profile supporter.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has added his name to a rapidly growing petition, which lists people who back the alcohol control bill.

The bill faces opposition from businesses, especially over plans to totally ban alcohol advertising. If passed, the legislation will ban alcohol sales to people under-20 and sales near religious sites and educational institutes.

The anti-alcohol network of 246 organisations is gathering signatures in support of the bill, due to go to the National Legislative Assembly (NLA) this month.

Caravans in support of the bill are converging on the capital from four directions and have collected around 4 million signatures along the way with the help of www.stopdrink.com and numerous health clinics. Teenage anti-booze campaigner Kan-anek Thanapornditsanand invited the premier to pledge his support.

"I'm very glad that he accepted. It shows that he gives importance to the issue and wants to keep alcohol away from young people," Kan-anek said.

Campaign coordinator Khamron Chudecha said the caravans were expected to collect more than 8 million signatures before they arrive at Sanam Luang this Sunday, where they will be joined by Bangkok joggers and more than 50,000 supporters.

The signatures will be presented to the prime minister and NLA Speaker Meechai Ruchuphan.

The movement aimed to protect the young and the vulnerable from problems caused by excessive alcohol consumption, Khamron said.

--The Nation 2007-03-13

What will happen to the fullmoon party on Koh Phanang

verry bussy police agents?

I haven't been to the U.K. for years but apparently no ban on alcohol advertising there judging by this ad on the Underground.

But then of course Thailand is a genteel civilized Kingdom eh?

Edited by ratcatcher

Chaipranin Visudhipol, a former president of the Advertising Association of Thailand, hopes the NLA will understand that the problem has more to do with poor law enforcement than anything else.

''A total ad ban cannot reduce consumption. White liquor accounts for 80% to total alcohol sales although it has never been advertised,'' he said.

cite

Mid, what do you expect a guy from d advertising assoc to say ? Unfortunately in quoting him, I think you are just quoting some total big time bullsh... I cannot argue about d issue of white liquor except to say, how in d hel_l does this guy know about the sales of white liquor when per se it's illegal and therefore there are no reliable official statistics (unless he is in this illegal business himself) ! So his quote of 80 % could be an exaggeration, an understimate or totally spot on. Surely nobody knows. Let's face it loads of good money is spent on alchohol advertising for a reason, because it does encourage more sales and it's not just about competitive selling. For certain, curbing the promotion and availability of alchohol will have some effect on consumption, its just a question of how much effect it will have. For many Thai people any reduction in the general consumption of alchohol would be a good thing.

Cheers again (but not bottoms up !)

Chips

A couple of pages back, I suggested that a ban on alcohol advertising (as others have suggested also) might alleviate Thailand's drinking problems and is a better way of tackling the problem than trying to police all sorts of restrictive laws on liquor retail outlets.

Do not be misled by statements that 80% of all alcohol sales are in the form of locally made white liquor that are not advertised and, therefore, banning advertising will not reduce over-all consumption. This is precisely the deceptive argument that the tobacco companies used. They would claim that advertising only persuaded people to switch brands and had no effect on the total consumption of cigarettes.

This argument has proved to be fallacious. There are usually two fundamental messages in good advertisements; one that the type of product being advertised is very desirable; two that the specific brand being advertised is more desirable than the others. It would be very difficult to separate these two concepts in any advertisement other than plain statements to the effect that, for example, "We sell Jonnie Walker whisky here", or "We sell most brands of beer".

Advertising promotes consumption, period.

Why dont they try teaching responsible drinking? Making it forbidden only makes it more appealing. So now instead of drunken 18yr olds, we will have drunken 20yr olds. Instead of drunks who probably couldnt afford cars or bike, we'll have drunks that hve them.

Toughen the drunk driving/riding laws, someone gets caught drunk driving and kill/injure someone, make an example of them. Object lessons.

They should have a law against drinking on the curbside. 1 or 2 is ok, but a bunch of louts sitting on the curb and drinking bottles after bottles of beer and whiskey.....oh but they're 20 so thats fine...