Then there were two: Johnson and Hunt fight for British PM job

webfact

8 hours ago, evadgib said:

In which case we can expect the arrival of Farage & the Brexit party even quicker than expected therefore "Bring it on!????

What you are inviting is a vote splitting party that will ensure that Corbyn is in power ... the obviousness of that is clearly hiding in plain sight.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

No, he's saying that only the EU have agreed to that so called 'deal'. The UK have not agreed to it. You may not have noticed but it was rejected by the UK Parliament 3 times. 

Oh I did notice.

It’s the belief that there is by some magical chance of an alternative deal that I'm getting at.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vogie said:

If the police don't arrest or shoot anybody they are generally happy, no crime had been committed.

Whatever we think of Boris at the moment I don't think anybody would argue he must be under immense pressure, with his leadership challenge and his separation from his other half. As much as some people like to demonise him, at the end of the day he is just human like the rest of us. It doesn't take a lot to blow a fuse when under such pressure, maybe his new girlfriend revealed she was actually a remoaner, I don't know.

You only have to look at his track record to see what Boris is all

about, and it isn't the way a future PM of the UK should behave.

If you think he's under immense pressure now, how the hell is 

he going to handle the pressure of running the country, dealing

with Brexit and opposing the new Brexit Party when Farage comes

along after Boris fails to deliver Brexit by 31st Oct. 

The Tory MP's who are backing him are only doing so to try and

keep their jobs by following the popular trend within the party.

It's just a matter of time, when Boris fails the Tories will fail 

with him at the next GE.

If the Tory membership have any sense, and want to stay in power then they should go with Hunt it's their only hope now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nauseus said:

Remote sensing fartometers for all paparazzi now!

Oh Horrors and more MSM headlines. "Next PM has Friday night tiff with hysterical girlfriend over spilt red wine on sofa." 

I'll be it wasn't even her new white sofa. I think that's most of us out of the running for PM then. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JAG said:

And if you reread my now edited (expanded) post, you will see that I argue that "It is a mess because the government, despite confirming their intention to carry out the simple decision of the electorate, failed, or more properly never attempted any meaningful negotiations, or planned for any other exit on terms other than those dictated by the EU."

How could there have been any other outcome to the negotiations? The EU held all the cards and were always in control of the outcome of the deal. No matter who negotiated the deal on behalf of the UK, the result would have been identical. The negotiations were never about personalities, they were always dependant on one party negotiating from a position of strength and the other from a position of extreme weakness.

The EU mandarins asserted that Britain would suffer for it's  decision to leave the club and so it will be. Boris will have 2 choices, leave on what will substantially be May's deal or leave with no deal. The EU will not re-negotiate, why should they?

So, it's no deal then, a complete disaster for the UK, socially, politically and economically. Don't blame May, Barnier, Verhofstadt or anyone else but yourself for the mess we're in. You voted in the referendum with your heart, not your head, not very wise when making life changing decisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The crisis and chaos engulfing British politics is not simply a symptom of incompetent leadership or bad policy choices. It expresses a deep crisis of representation in the political system, which Brexit did not cause, but only revealed. British elites have lost the capacity to represent societal interests and their authority has, accordingly, imploded.

Since the crisis of capitalism in the 1980s, and the onset of the neoliberal era, interest representation has substantially broken down. The major parties converged on a neoliberal programme, offering no substantive choice to voters. The electorate became estranged from the parties, many ceasing to vote altogether, and elected legislators ceased to become representative.

I read a lot of posters here who are gleeful about the current farce. There is nothing to be gleeful about as the political establishment implodes. Those tempted by Mao’s line that “everything under heaven is in utter chaos; the situation is excellent” should think again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

All those things you mention are resolvable even with no deal, apart from perhaps access to the single market. They are only made to sound difficult by people who have a vested interest in the UK remaining in the EU.

Single market access can be solved with a FTA. We are told how wonderful the EU are at negotiating FTAs with countries such as Canada and Japan, so why not with the UK? Or is the UK to be treated like an enemy now? And if that's the case, why the hell would we want to stay part of the EU?! 

'The easiest deal in history'.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Your view but I disagree, particularly with which of their body parts leavers used when deciding how to vote. May allowed the EU to be in control of the negotiations and the outcome of same but we cannot know that it did not matter who negotiated on behalf of the UK because the EU say they will not consider any renegotiation, so we have no opportunity for a second test and comparison. 

You have given the EU the full deck of cards but I don't think they have all of the aces and faces. All is not well within the EU, politically, financially and economically. The EU would suffer significantly more damage from a no deal Brexit at this time (as well as the UK) than they care to admit. The EU is bluffing in hope to win this game and attempt to stop any further exits at the same time.

If we leave with no deal then I see the EU hinting at some kind of a deal within 6 months. My view.

It's not the EU facing a political crisis.