Interesting experience at BKK immigration this morning

22 minutes ago, kmw said:

I normally try to get a male IO as for some reason the females don't like me, just always had issues with them in the past, I'm in my mid thirties dress smart casual, and of an Asian appearance, 

Agree, So far i have been only questioned by female IO.

I think its a kind of women to women jealousy thing..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I usually try to pick a queue with a female IO as they're more efficient and quicker!

NOT Always............A Female IO Once Stamped me in on a Multi-Non-Imm " O " For 30 Days at Nong Khai,Until I Pointed ouit HER Mistake,She just Laughed & Then Changed it to the 90 Days !! Thank You Ma'am....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LongTang said:

Agree, So far i have been only questioned by female IO.

I think its a kind of women to women jealousy thing..

Totally agreed , I think female IOs are on some kinda power trip

• Like 2

20 hours ago, LongTang said:

This is BS. Whether he was working or not, The man is trying to do the right thing by getting the proper visa for his stay, Why give him a hard time for that??

This will just reduce the likelihood of people making the move to get a proper visa..

Why give him a hard time?

Because they can!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op has been here for a while on a METV... this time he's re-entered on a Non-Imm B (Business Visa).

Questioning if he was working in the past seems a rather common sense assumption.  

The Op answered their questions, they accepted the answer and stamped him in. 

If he had been working before, do you think he would have answered that he had, it's a fair cop, damn, lock me up. A bit like the question that used to be (maybe still is) on USA forms asking if you have ever engaged in terrorist activity. "Sir, I cannot tell a lie, I dun it."

• Haha 1

Not visa related, but I recently had a bewildering experience with Immigration at DMK. I was returning from Cambodia with Air Asia's "Fly-Thru" service to my home in Khon Kaen. At DMK, there are Immigration desks set apart from the main area dedicated for "Fly-Thru" passengers on Air Asia, Nok Air and Thai Lion Air. A lady IO was manning the only desk open and as the result of a build-up, a male IO came to assist in an adjoining desk without the Bio-metric Identification System. Passengers lucky to be processed by him had just their photos taken, passports processed and allowed to enter Thailand. I, unfortunately, ended up with the lady IO and whilst she processed my paperwork I tried to use the Bio-metric system without success. It kept telling me to replace my fingers on the scanner. I apologized to the lady IO who stated "no problem, you can go through" handing me my passport - unbelievable! On the outward journey I had no problems with the new Bio-metric system in Khon Kaen International Departure Lounge One.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Op has been here for a while on a METV... this time he's re-entered on a Non-Imm B (Business Visa).

Questioning if he was working in the past seems a rather common sense assumption.  

The Op answered their questions, they accepted the answer and stamped him in. 

I'm really not sure what the issue is with any of this, the Immigration officers were doing their jobs and had no issues with letting the Op enter Thailand after he'd answered their questions. 

------

Some posters have written that the Immigration Police were being overzealous etc because he was on a Valid Visa for work (this time), thats kind of like someone implying that because someone is suspect of a criminal offense (say theft) last time, but have not done anything wrong today they should not be questioned... These are Police - In this case they're just doing their jobs.

------

I work overseas (rotation 28x28 days). If I am ever asked if I am working in Thailand I can prove that I'm working overseas and answer the questions that I'm in Thailand on my days off - I think its a perfectly reasonable question to be asked that I am complying with Thai law or not. 

Yah after he answered their questions for 30 minutes! 

Now you can reply like “ I don’t find being questioned on a proper visa for JUST 30 minutes a problem blah blah blah” 

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, berybert said:

Western people are weird. We laugh at the Thai police because they are lazy and do nothing.

Then we moan about the immigration staff because they do their job. 

Hua Hin immigration are good at their job, apart from one young idiot trying to scam me for 500 baht to transfer a visa stamp from old to new passport, I demanded a receipt and soon got the cash back. My only tea money experience. They even neatly place stamps so as to use each passport page efficiently. Not like the lazy arrogant SOBs in the UAE, one little stamp right in the middle of a fresh page, time and time again. I want to throttle them.

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, KittenKong said:

So you were deliberately trying to pick the immigration lane you used, you have many previous long stays without apparently needing to work anywhere but now you are going to work here?

They thought you seem dodgy and I can see why.

I can compare this with my BKK entry this week: fast track immigration, picked the shortest line, got stamped in. Took about 1 minute with no questions asked at all.

Wow, Sleuthhound par excellance!