Dunking

6 hours ago, Saltire said:

My favourite snack is also a beng beng (mainly as they remind me of a 'picnic' bar back home) but never once did I think of dunking it, in fact since 8 years in Asia dunking has become just a vague memory - until now! Thank you TV.

I think a few others on TVForum like some beng beng, they have been mentioned before.

When I get a new box, I open it up and put a dozen or so in the fridge. If I don't have a cup of Rosy, and just want a snack, I eat them at room temperature (not from fridge). With my tea I have a couple from the fridge. I like my tea hot but the cold bickie is left in for no more than 2 seconds, otherwise the chocolate melts and makes the tea too sweet. I dunk it down about 5/6 cms. Then I suck off the top layer of chocolate,

There's more to it than that of course. When I have my first cup in the morning, I place my cup of Rosy so that the fan for the computer just takes the heat out of the top couple of cms. This means I can sip it quite early on.

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

I used to dunk ginger nut biscuits in my coffee.

Every morning i have my toast and marmalade, my wife has 1 slice and dunks her toast with marmalade on in her coffee.... crazy sod.

I think your wife's a real anarchist.

8 hours ago, blackcab said:

Moved to the beverage forum for biscuit-related discussion.

I was thrilled to see the OP moved to the beverage forum. I've noticed that it is farang pub. Now the causal innuendo, at chucking out time, from the usual suspects.

There is a Big C about 20k from me. I'll try the ginger hob-nobs. Just as a side issue; my evening cup of Rosy has slices of ginger in it.

41 minutes ago, VBF said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I think your wife's a real anarchist.

Quick - send in the food police!!!!! ????

Are you sure they'll manage to get through the door, with all that investigating of dodgy food they must have to do?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Are you sure they'll manage to get through the door, with all that investigating of dodgy food they must have to do?

They'll get the balloon chasers to show them how! ????

From the script of "The Goon Show - Jet-propelled Guided NAAFI"  Broadcast 24th January 1956

FX:
Phone rings. Phone picked up. 

SEAGOON:
Give it to me! Hello . . . 

WILLUM 'MATE' COBBLERS:
This is the manager of the Guided NAAFI at Kuala Lumpur sir. Do you want this tea we brewed up? Or shall we throw it all away? 

SEAGOON:
Certainly not. I will not tolerate waste. How much tea is there? 

WILLUM 'MATE' COBBLERS:
Ten thousand cups. 

SEAGOON:
Right. Keep it on the boil. I'll attend to it. 

(puts phone down) 

SEAGOON:
Grytpype, we're going to Malaya. Prepare airliners to carry ten thousand troops. Tell them we're going to Malaya for tea. 

GRYTPYPE-THYNNE:
That will mean tropical kit, sir. 

SEAGOON:
Tropical Kitt, I love that woman! Ooohh, you mean uniforms? 

GRYTPYPE-THYNNE:
Yes, yes 

SEAGOON:
Yes, well, have them issued at once. 

GRYTPYPE-THYNNE:
You will have your little joke. 

SEAGOON:
Yes, needle nardle noo, Ha, ha, ha. Eyes that ~~~~~ ~~~~~~ No expense must be spared to see that this tea is not wasted. The watchword is still . . . Economy. 

:offtopic2:  Well it is The Farang Pub!

8 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Some might even say an “ extreme sport “ !!

Last time I tried that at Expo 92 all the loose change in my pockets showered the crowd below .. They liked it that much they were urging me to have another go before I'd even finished boing'in up and down .. 

9 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Last time I tried that at Expo 92 all the loose change in my pockets showered the crowd below .. They liked it that much they were urging me to have another go before I'd even finished boing'in up and down .. 

You must be mad Sir....... Tea Potty in fact! ????

Some people are beyond redemption when it comes to the matter of dunking .. Bloke I worked with back in the day seen no problem dipping a double folded ( so as he could force it into the mug ) dripping egg sarnie in his coffee .. I mean there are limits to what might be considered acceptable behaviour and that ain't it .. He will have to answer to the Almighty for that no  doubt .. 

2 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Some people are beyond redemption when it comes to the matter of dunking .. Bloke I worked with back in the day seen no problem dipping a double folded ( so as he could force it into the mug ) dripping egg sarnie in his coffee .. I mean there are limits to what might be considered acceptable behaviour and that ain't it .. He will have to answer to the Almighty for that no  doubt .. 

Perhaps he was looking at it from a time management point of view?

If he managed to get most of his coffee into the sarnie, it would make consuming both a fair bit faster.

6 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

With or without Brown Sauce?

I mean these details are important, you know

7 minutes ago, VBF said:
12 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

With or without Brown Sauce?

I mean these details are important, you know

With brown sauce obviously - mind you it was the world's runniest brown sauce - aka coffee.

Just now, bluesofa said:

With brown sauce obviously - mind you it was the world's runniest brown sauce - aka coffee.

Depends how strong you like your coffee 

dadamud4_sm.jpg.1148e06e5f50eba1dde626b1d4ffcdfd.jpg

50 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps he was looking at it from a time management point of view?

If he managed to get most of his coffee into the sarnie, it would make consuming both a fair bit faster.

Yea but ' Sof it was a most unedifying spectacle to have to observe .. An he wouldn't keep his gob shut while masticating .. T'was like looking at a concrete mixer some days .. 

Yea but ' Sof it was a most unedifying spectacle to have to observe .. An he wouldn't keep his gob shut while masticating .. T'was like looking at a concrete mixer some days .. 

I used to work with a guy who would take a bite of his sandwich ( at lunch or break time ) and immediately slurp a big mouthful of tea and eat/drink with his mouth open making a real slapping sound.
It was really disgusting and the guy could never understand why people would leave the break room early !!

10 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Some might even say an “ extreme sport “ !!

Well I think that is rubbish!

Sure he put the thing in his tea, but then he forgot to put it in his mouth.

No world record in my book for this contrived gimmick.

39 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Well I think that is rubbish!

Sure he put the thing in his tea, but then he forgot to put it in his mouth.

No world record in my book for this contrived gimmick.

Perhaps the adjudicators needed to check the how wet the biscuit was, as definite proof it went into the tea enough?

Surely there must be a British Standard test to cover the level of moisture absorbed in to the biscuit by the tea?

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps the adjudicators needed to check the how wet the biscuit was, as definite proof it went into the tea enough?

Surely there must be a British Standard test to cover the level of moisture absorbed in to the biscuit by the tea?

Indeed, apparently it's an institution !

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/minor-british-institutions-biscuit-dunking-6263062.html

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

The whole thing about 'dunking' is that it makes for a pleasurable experience. That Guinness world record stunt missed the point. Funny as it was, it was IMO a rubbish advert for dunking.

I don't care about the adjudicators, or how wet the biscuit became, or definite proof it went into the tea enough. No, no no!

What I care about is eating a nice bickie and drinking a lovely cup of Rosy. I actually think a decent biscuit, as in custard creams, make the tea taste better. I like to hear personal experiences from the TVForum posters, about their dunking, not some stunt up a crane.

I just knew that it would turn out like this. Triviality; the curse of TVF.

The whole thing about 'dunking' is that it makes for a pleasurable experience. That Guinness world record stunt missed the point. Funny as it was, it was IMO a rubbish advert for dunking.

I don't care about the adjudicators, or how wet the biscuit became, or definite proof it went into the tea enough. No, no no!

What I care about is eating a nice bickie and drinking a lovely cup of Rosy. I actually think a decent biscuit, as in custard creams, make the tea taste better. I like to hear personal experiences from the TVForum posters, about their dunking, not some stunt up a crane.

I just knew that it would turn out like this. Triviality; the curse of TVF.

I apologise for being trivial owl , I thought it was on topic .

Anyhoo, to redeem your respect I will add my dunking preferences .

Rich Tea don’t do it for me, not a fan of Digestives , Ginger Nuts and Hobnobs are the king of dunkers IMHO but I do like the occasional Bourbon and Custard Cream ( and yes I agree Custard Creams do add to the taste of the tea !! ).

As for Beng Beng and other chocolate covered goodies, I’m afraid it’s an avenue I’ve not regularly traveled, I don’t feel confident in getting the synchronicity right to get the overall sensation.
I will try it though and hopefully can experience the euphoria that others are quoting .

Okay Owl , am I forgiven ?? [emoji51]

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I apologise for being trivial owl , I thought it was on topic .

Anyhoo, to redeem your respect I will add my dunking preferences .

Rich Tea don’t do it for me, not a fan of Digestives , Ginger Nuts and Hobnobs are the king of dunkers IMHO but I do like the occasional Bourbon and Custard Cream ( and yes I agree Custard Creams do add to the taste of the tea !! ).

As for Beng Beng and other chocolate covered goodies, I’m afraid it’s an avenue I’ve not regularly traveled, I don’t feel confident in getting the synchronicity right to get the overall sensation.
I will try it though and hopefully can experience the euphoria that others are quoting .

Okay Owl , am I forgiven ?? emoji51.png

No prob's Andy. I don't hold grudges for more than a few minutes. Unless, of course someone says I'm either of those two most disrespectful, and hurtful things; 'lazy' or 'dead'.

What is that feeling called when you hook a big fish, take that first swig of a cold beer after a hard days work on the farm, pet a cat who has come to you for love, enter a lady after weeks of seduction, dunking a custard cream into a steaming cup of Rosy? It's euphoria!! That's what dunking is to millions of English, or British even; euphoria.

You whistle to the wife for it, and shortly it arrives. She places the cuppa on the table. You know she is hiding something out of view; you wait expectantly. And she slowly draws her hand from behind her back. You hold your breath. But not for long as the saucer of bickies come into view. You exhale. Just wonderful! That 'umm' moment.

Never thought about the "beng beng - Picnic" connection, I will give that a go !  Just never been a lover of Thai chocolate but I think that might be worth exploring further, so thanks for that ????

Archived