Old age when you are too old to travel

1 hour ago, Apache704 said:

Sir, I am 73 years old and I also have to leave Thailand due to the ever increasing changes with Immigration and with no health insurance which I did have before the Army took over. Ecuador is my next destination with a minimal amount of money per month($800) US and for each dependent $100 more plus they have health care for less than $100 per month for a couple and a Senior have discounts on everything. The rents are cheap, also the food, the climate is better. Also you can own land there as a foreigner but they are a lot more expensive than Thailand. Cuenco has the largest expat population (up to 8000) with English being spoken almost everywhere compared to none elsewhere. There are plenty of restaurants that can cater to whomever. I'll be going there from Canada in November and staying 60 days in Cuenca. I'm sure that I can pick up Spanish a lot easier than Thai. Take a good look at getting a Pension Visa from Ecuador you won't have to go back to England for Health care. If you would like to e-mail me for more information I will gladly send it to you.

Did the Thai Army take away your health insurance?

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

I imagine that by the time you get to 80 the attractions of Thailand fade somewhat? The OP makes a very valid point. I personally would not want to rely on Thailand to assist me in my later years, I’d much rather be in the home country. 

Having a problem about what to do with my Thai wife and dog.  She works and has family in Thailand.  And last I heard transporting my dog is around 100,000 baht.  

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

I have been thinking about going back to the UK for the past 12 years, still here. health is the main concern, can't afford insurance that would be good enough at my age.

If you have been living in Thailand for the past 12 years you will not be entitled to free medical care on the NHS if you return to UK.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, cooked said:

There remains of course the  "Fitness to fly" question. Airlines may refuse you if you seem to be in bad health, although of course going business class might ease that problem. What we oldies should have done years ago was get repatriation insurance, only available up to age 65 I believe.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Before-you-fly/Am-I-fit-to-fly/Guidance-for-health-professionals/Assessing-fitness-to-fly/

shows the UK's attitude.

What the link indicates is that cabin crew are not nurses. If a passenger needs nursing care, help with administration of meds or needs help on the toilet, they need either an assistant or a nurse to travel with them.

• Like 1