Thai ID Card for Farangs

YangYaiEric

Hi. Today I just got my Yellow Tabian Baan book from the local Ampur in Korat, which registers me as living at my address . The lady officer (Palat) then booked an appointment for me to get my Thai ID card (bat pa-pa-chon). The wife and I were both taken aback by this, as I am a British National and we thought only Thai Nationals were issued with a Thai National ID card. But, yes, I will indeed be issued with a Thai ID card next week. Are there any farangs out there who have been issued with a Thai ID card, and what are the benefits of having one?

Edited by YangYaiEric
spelling

Just now, YangYaiEric said:

Thank you Boycie for the link. It as clear that its not really that useful!

It can be useful getting Thai price at some places, opening a bank account (Thai account name), getting/renewing License (also Thai name). 

• Like 1

There have been multiple threads on these cards previously, and, based on those, you will get two types of reply:

1. Those who have one, such as myself, who will tell you they can be useful as a form of ID, and for getting Thai price at dual pricing attractions.  Are they indispensable?  Probably not.  Are they a useful thing to have in your wallet?  Definitely yes.

2.  Those who don't have one, including those who don't qualify for one, who will try and tell you they are a waste of time, and useless, and other general things of that nature, as a sort of self comforting technique to compensate for not having one.

In any case, it doesn't look like you're having much say in the matter, so go along, get your photo taken and get the card.  I'm sure you'll find a use for it at some point.  Or you can stick it away in a drawer and never take it out again.  No one will check to see if you are carrying it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

There have been multiple threads on these cards previously, and, based on those, you will get two types of reply:

1. Those who have one, such as myself, who will tell you they can be useful as a form of ID, and for getting Thai price at dual pricing attractions.  Are they indispensable?  Probably not.  Are they a useful thing to have in your wallet?  Definitely yes.

2.  Those who don't have one, including those who don't qualify for one, who will try and tell you they are a waste of time, and useless, and other general things of that nature, as a sort of self comforting technique to compensate for not having one.

In any case, it doesn't look like you're having much say in the matter, so go along, get your photo taken and get the card.  I'm sure you'll find a use for it at some point.  Or you can stick it away in a drawer and never take it out again.  No one will check to see if you are carrying it.

Sound advice mate! Cheers!

1 hour ago, YangYaiEric said:

Thank you Boycie for the link. It as clear that its not really that useful!

Any idea why was it given to you when you didn't apply for it in the first place?

I would like to get one too.