Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

19 minutes ago, bomber said:

the trade deal the EU signed with south america last week took TEN YEARS to complete,yet brexiteers say its will be a piece of cake,and they moan when we call them thick.

I read it was more like 20. That shows how thick the EU is. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Somebody needs to sit you down and tell you that it is not acceptable to call other members "thick". And then come back with a "grow up" in reply.

the term brexiteer isnt aimed at any individual poster on here,it a collective term for 17 million,similar to turkeys,i prefer to to call an individual a leave voter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bomber said:

the term brexiteer isnt aimed at any individual poster on here,it a collective term for 17 million,similar to turkeys,i prefer to to call an individual a leave voter.

You just don't get it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Although that doesnt mean that the UK making trade deals will take ten years , trade deals will be done much quicker

or even longer or not at all or even worse some bad deals,oh but i forgot these nations are tripping over themselves to rescue/take advantage of a cast adrift desperate nation.as many neutrals have already stated we have the best deal already.

• Haha 1

Strange that Brexit is going to be so good that so many businesses will need to be compensated for it 

Yes, I know this is a satiric account, but it's basically what both leadership candidates are now saying ...   

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tebee said:

Strange that Brexit is going to be so good that so many businesses will need to be compensated for it 

Yes, I know this is a satiric account, but it's basically what both leadership candidates are now saying ...   

the UK is in for serious tax rises or an even bigger deficit,take ya pick but its going to be nasty and thats without the inflation that will come with brexit,pleased i wont be there to enjoy it ????  iam sure the brexiteers on here will keep me updated.

Edited by bomber

36 minutes ago, Becker said:

Since they have you over a barrel due to your insignificance standing alone compared to being part of a mega powerful trading block like the EU it's going to be real quick and painful, you're right about that.

these brexiteers dont get it,they seem to think the UK will be holding all the Ace's,the Mauratainains are that stupid.

Edited by bomber
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, potless said:

is there any reason why they could not just be copied chapter and verse, signed and then carry on as normal?

Why would anyone do that? The UK has much less and different things to offer than the EU; why would anyone give the UK the same conditions? 

30 minutes ago, potless said:

Would a signatory to these E.U. deals say to the U.K. that they would no longer trade under existing arrangements after brexit, purely because the U.K. was no longer a member of the E.U.? 

Existing arrangements are with EU, of which the UK won’t be a member anymore. So, of course, those existing agreements would no longer apply to the trade with the UK. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, nontabury said:

And it was of course a Democratic decision taken by the people, something remainers are not happy to accept.

the 16 million who voted accept it,MPs are the ones that dont,the people you want to hand more power to are flexing their muscles and ignoring your wishes,to me you should despise them more than anything in Brussells or Berlin but i doubt you do,yet you still have this warped vision of the UK becoming great again after brexit,it not going to happen iam afraid to tell you

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, billd766 said:

For bombers information (because he does not understand researching your subject) look here.

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/south-american-trade-bloc-signs-historic-trade-deal-eu-190628173859729.html

The European Union and South American bloc Mercosur have agreed to the draft of a free-trade treaty, both sides confirmed on Friday, ending almost 20 years of negotiations.

The two blocs began negotiating in 2000. They intensified efforts to reach an accord after United States President Donald Trump's election victory prompted the European Union to freeze talks with the US and look for other global trading allies.

That took me less than a minute to find on Google.

i read somewhere it had taken 10 years,it seems the report was incorrect,but thanks anyway you have made my point even more stronger,these deals are doing to be anything but a piece of cake,thank you again for confirming it.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

For bombers information (because he does not understand researching your subject) look here.

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/south-american-trade-bloc-signs-historic-trade-deal-eu-190628173859729.html

The European Union and South American bloc Mercosur have agreed to the draft of a free-trade treaty, both sides confirmed on Friday, ending almost 20 years of negotiations.

The two blocs began negotiating in 2000. They intensified efforts to reach an accord after United States President Donald Trump's election victory prompted the European Union to freeze talks with the US and look for other global trading allies.

keep searching you might even find big bizzness that is looking forward to brexit,or a crackpot that expects sterling to rise with a no deal.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, nontabury said:

And it was of course a Democratic decision taken by the people, something remainers are not happy to accept.

i'd accept that because it was an overwhelming majority for a concrete proposal.

But supposing it had gone the other way and 52% had voted to leave the UK. Would  you accept that that meant they must immediately sever all ties with the UK and become part of Argentina ? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, tebee said:

i'd accept that because it was an overwhelming majority for a concrete proposal.

But supposing it had gone the other way and 52% had voted to leave the UK. Would  you accept that that meant they must immediately sever all ties with the UK and become part of Argentina ? 

“Yes” if that’s what the Majority Democratically voted for.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nontabury said:

“Yes” if that’s what the Majority Democratically voted for.

But it wasn't - some might have wanted to become an independent nation, some might have wanted to form an alliance with another nation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I include facts and quotes to back up my view, unlike many. If you find reading through anything over a few lines (and often lacking in substance) difficult, that's your issue, feel free to scroll past my input, I couldn't care less - and again, feel free to crack wise all you want [emoji6].

There were erroneous promises made by both sides, never contested that once. In reality, if you have read any of my earlier comments on another thread you would know that my position has been for a long time that we should have had a much more detailed and honest discussion about this with opposing political parties on the issue comprised of people conversant with it and willing and able to enact the result, campaigning against each other. That way, once the decision was made (with more understanding) there would have been an established party behind the result to enact it properly. What we had was a government that were elected with the mandate to offer the referendum to the public (despite your earlier post incorrectly stating otherwise) with their leader actually campaigning for the people to vote to remain rather than leave - despite the huge split on the issue within his own party. The same could be said of Labour. Once the result was arrived at (to the shock of DC and a great many others in the political establishment) there was NO ONE around to deliver it, they relieved themselves of all duties to carry it out, which has lead to this shambolic state we find ourselves in now.

There were many people I knew that wanted to leave on WTO terms - or a 'hard brexit' if you will, and this was discussed by Farage and a number of others during the campaign. The Norway deal is a bad comparison because what we were offered by May was a lot worse - or 'Norway without the fish (ie - economic clout)' or having our hands untied. If you think that leaving the EU in any meaningful sense would have been delivered by May's deal then you're not in full possession of the facts. It was loathed by both sides of the argument for that exact reason, we'd remain in the CU and SM but have a much reduced amount of input than we had as full members. The decision was binary - there was no detail on how we would leave, there should have been more discussion on this I would agree, but this is not what was offered or promised. Furthermore there is literally NO WAY to discuss the detail of what will happen once we leave with any certainty whatsoever, as this would simply be an exercise in predicting the future, something Remainers seem to be most proficient in. [emoji849] 

Lastly see -
'as stated - the recent polls with the EU elections being the greatest indicator, indicate that the majority of the electorate still want to leave, knowing that a no deal is what the Brexit Party, UKIP and the Tory government are all pushing for.' - from a previous post. That seems to support the initial feeling that the majority backed and still do - that leaving means leaving, warts and all. 

"Lastly.....", lets make something up and throw in some "feelings" [emoji1782]

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Most of the delay was caused by the sometimes problematic - and I put it mildly - relationship between the Mercosur members.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for your reply. I dont know how these deals work. I was wondering if a simple solution could be found. I cant imagine why these deals take so long. Get a deal up and running and tinker with it after? Most of the basics are already in place.

9 minutes ago, damascase said:

Of course one could copy the content of the EU - Japan FTA ( to name an example) and change the relevant articles to a UK - Japan coverage. The big question is: would Japan be willing to sign it? Why would they agree on the same conditions for the UK as for the EU? FTA’s are always tailor-made and that is only one of the reasons why negotiations take time.