Johnson warns EU against any 'Napoleonic' tariffs in no-deal Brexit

snoop1130

I don’t share your concerns over what you feel are the problems with the democratic legitimacy of the EU.

I accept there are issues, but am confident in the elected representatives of the EU citizens to work on them.

I see what the EU parliament for what it is am happy to accept it for what it is, warts and all. 

I’m not too sure how your manifold concerns relate to my posts on johnson suspending parliament, though. 

I disagree with your assertion that there is little recourse to suspending parliament to force through a minority version of brexit. 

johnson could, for example, call an election with his vision of brexit as core tory policy. 

See how popular that is with the majority of the electorate. 

If he wins a majority then onward and upward with his goals. 
Johnson vs Corbyn. I hear the siren call of flying lessons.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

"Brexit supporters say there would be short-term disruption but in the long-term the UK would thrive if cut free from what they cast as a doomed experiment in German-dominated unity that has led to Europe falling behind China and the United States..."

Really?? Perhaps, those supporters should study their own country's history. Britain in the early 1970s was considered to be a "failed state". Then it joined the EEC in 1973. - No-one wishes the UK to repeat her dismal (economic) history, but who knows with someone like Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson at the helm...

And, do the Brexiteers really want to risk the breaking off of Scotland?

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Would this have had anything to do with the Unions running the country in those days by any chance ? Ramapant inflation, crazy wage rises that we couldn't afford, Commies in the car manufacturing 

You say we will have this again if we leave the EU?

We joined the EEC, not the Federal EU

We will go back to the 70s if we get labour in power, but hey, isn't that what remainers want

Scotland can go do one if it so wishes, who will miss it, Will the EU let it join ? Can it pay its bills on the declining oil revenues, keep free universities, free prescriptions, etc, etc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, potless said:

Last night on a news station. it was reported that the E.U. had secured a free trade agreement with Vietnam and that 99% of tariffs would be waived. If that report is true, then I wonder what excuse the E.U. would give for not offering the same or similar for the U.K. I dont know the details but I doubt if Vietnam would be subscribing to the E.U. coffers.

For the past 44 years, the UK has relied upon the European Union, formerly the European Economic Community, to negotiate trade deals. As an EU member, Britain cannot strike its own trade deals, but the bloc has successfully secured 36 trade agreements for its member-states, spanning more than 60 countries. It is unclear whether Britain can continue to participate in these deals once it leaves the EU.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AlexRich said:

You post more words than a Tolstoy novel? There were no Leave politicians campaigning for a leave on WTO terms with no transition? Not one of them. People voted based on promises made .... Daniel Hannan’s comment about “not leaving the single market” was simply one of many. So no one voted leave expecting that outcome ... an outcome that simply has no mandate. May’s deal takes the UK out of the EU ... more than Daniel Hannan’s Brexit promise. Even Farage is quoted extolling the economic success of Norway outside of the EU. Again, May’s deal goes further than Norway. 

If Norway are outside the EU, then so is May’s deal. And that’s leave.

if you favour no deal, WTO, and no transition ... you need a second referendum and a mandate for it. 

Exactly. Take what is on offer, not reject it for an ideological pipe-dream. Tolstoy was right. How much land does a man need?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joinaman said:

Care to give us the truth then

Would be good to get some REAL facts from the people who know more than all the others

Please include the facts about the above, but include any costs incurred up to now, and in the future with the Lisbon treaty, if we stay in the EU

Its time someone told us the "FACTS" 

Here are some trade facts issued by GovUK:

Leaving the EU with a deal remains the government’s top priority. This has not changed. While a number of these continuity trade agreements are likely to be concluded, it is the duty of government to produce a highly cautious list of those that may not be in place so that businesses and individuals can prepare for every eventuality.

It remains the government’s priority to conclude trade continuity agreements with these countries when the UK leaves the EU or as soon as possible thereafter. The government is exploring a range of options to ensure continuity of effect for trade agreements if an agreement has not been ratified and brought into force in time.

The government is seeking continuity for existing EU trade agreements which the UK participates in as a member of the EU. These agreements constitute around 11% of the UK’s trade.

Satisfied?

3 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

Scotland will be more than happy to do one, as will Northern Ireland ... possibly before Scotland. And Scotland will attract enormous amounts of internal investment from countries looking for a foothold in the EU market, and the financial services industry in Edinburgh will also receive a boost. Meanwhile Little England will  be negotiating trade relations with Mesopotamia and the Congo. 

Don't forget the Falklands. Remember Thatcher sank the 7,069-ton armoured cruiser General Belgrano on 2 May 1982 during the Falklands War by the Royal Navy submarine Conqueror with the loss of 323 lives. Losses from General Belgrano totalled just over half of Argentine military deaths in the UK war with Argentina to preserve these islands.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Scotland will be more than happy to do one, as will Northern Ireland ... possibly before Scotland. And Scotland will attract enormous amounts of internal investment from countries looking for a foothold in the EU market, and the financial services industry in Edinburgh will also receive a boost. Meanwhile Little England will  be negotiating trade relations with Mesopotamia and the Congo. 
Good luck negotiating with Mesopotamia.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

You are correct about the Belgrano but omitted to mention that 2 days later HMS Sheffield was sunk along with HMS Ardent, HMS Antelope, HMS Coventry, MV Atlantic Conveyor. Also lost were the RFA Sir Galahad and RFA Sir Tristram.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War#Sinking_of_ARA_General_Belgrano

If you are going to write about something like the Falklands war, try to show what happened on BOTH sides and not just on one side.

ot they could give it to the Argentines and not more worries, it's quite far from the UK.... 555

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You are correct about the Belgrano but omitted to mention that 2 days later HMS Sheffield was sunk along with HMS Ardent, HMS Antelope, HMS Coventry, MV Atlantic Conveyor. Also lost were the RFA Sir Galahad and RFA Sir Tristram.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falklands_War#Sinking_of_ARA_General_Belgrano

If you are going to write about something like the Falklands war, try to show what happened on BOTH sides and not just on one side.

Apologies, Bill, not intentional to overlook British casualties, as the theme was who the UK could be trading with post Brexit.  thanks for reminding me and posting the link.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephenterry said:

For the past 44 years, the UK has relied upon the European Union, formerly the European Economic Community, to negotiate trade deals. As an EU member, Britain cannot strike its own trade deals, but the bloc has successfully secured 36 trade agreements for its member-states, spanning more than 60 countries. It is unclear whether Britain can continue to participate in these deals once it leaves the EU.

the trade deal the EU signed with south america last week took TEN YEARS to complete,yet brexiteers say its will be a piece of cake,and they moan when we call them thick.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

The Guardian misses so much out, as ever, so please don't call it a reminder.

When Thatcher came in, many industries were inefficient and most British industry was losing money hand over fist. There was little reinvestment and previous Labour governments allowed Communism to penetrate the unions and they became very powerful, with their members freely spending more time in the pub (but clocked-on by their mates) or on strike than they spent at work - it was always going to end badly - now the unions are weak as a result of these previous excesses. The EEC/EU did encourage and assist the transfer of British industry, or control of it, over to other EU countries, especially after the smaller eastern European countries joined the EU. 

And we still have some of the worst productivity in western Europe. It's not the EU that has encouraged the sell off of British industry, more the Conservatives who were more interested in the finance sector.

If we leave the EU it will just be the US and China buying up the dregs of our decimated industries.  

• Like 1