.net Vs Perl?

Mamboking

Hi!

Does anybody can say any pro/contra about .NET(C#, VB.NET) vs Perl about web applications creation. Usually I'm using .NET technology, but interesting of Perl as well. Run my first "Hello World!" on Perl today and now it's question for me what is better?

P.S. Please do not send me to the other sites, just have no time to read, but would like to know web programers opinion.

Edited by Mamboking

Hi!

Does anybody can say any pro/contra about .NET(C#, VB.NET) vs Perl about web applications creation. Usually I'm using .NET technology, but interesting of Perl as well. Run my first "Hello World!" on Perl today and now it's question for me what is better?

P.S. Please do not send me to the other sites, just have no time to read, but would like to know web programers opinion.

If you do "hello world" then it doesn't matter what language and tools you use. If you develop real, actual applications with more complex functionality then .net is a better choice thanks to a proper underlying framework with the base classes, language engine etc etc. I am not sure I would even try comparing .net to perl as it is a bit like comparing an Airbus 340 with a Honda Wave.

Considering PERL = Practical Extraction & Reporting Language, which i & others use mainly for log parsing and report generation, alough i do not dismiss it's uses for your application, maybe a slightly more flexible language may suit your needs better.....but then again, it may do the trick. YMMV.

Hi!

If you do "hello world" then it doesn't matter what language and tools you use. If you develop real, actual applications with more complex functionality then .net is a better choice thanks to a proper underlying framework with the base classes, language engine etc etc. I am not sure I would even try comparing .net to perl as it is a bit like comparing an Airbus 340 with a Honda Wave.

Well. should say that I'm experienced developer in .Net but looking for other possibilities too.

Ok. I see that probably quite diffuculte to compare. So let's say like that: where is better possibilities to work with DataBases. Is there in the Perl something then can be compared with ADO.NET?

For me nothing better now to create DataBase driven application then .NET but... is there at least some advantages in the Perl?

Edited by Mamboking

Hi!

I don't really have anything to say about Perl vs. .Net - like others said, they are perhaps to different to compare without having a use case at hand. If you have some requirements it would be easier...

But that doesn't stop me from pitching my favorite new web app language, Ruby! Try Ruby on Rails (RoR) and be prepared to be blown away. RoR also has a very nice db wrapping layer.

Ruby was originally intended as an object-oriented replacement for Perl. In the meantime it has transformed into a programming language for the enjoyment of programming. Ruby is good for scripting and for real OO programming.

And Ruby on Rails is a very clever web framework based on Ruby.

Let me describe the database mapping in Ruby on Rails - the philosophy is that nothing is declared twice. So for classes that are attached to a database table entry, the fields are all defined in the db - the table columns.

Let's say the field is called "a". In other systems, you might define table "foobars" and give it a column 'a', then define a class "FooBar" and give it a field "a" and then add some code that maps the db fields to the object fields.

In RoR, you just define the table - you don't define matching fields or the glue code as RoR does that all for you. Search results from the table will then yield objects which already have a field "a". If you change the table definition, the objects change too. It's just nice.

You're comparing apples and oranges

Perl is great for manipulating text , scripting and quick prototyping. It's not a web framework like .NET, although I'm sure there's a ton of modules that can do that. Closest equivalent to .NET in the Unix world would be J2EE on the high end and PHP & python on the low end.

The major problem with Perl is code maintainence. There are many ways to do the same thing and it's easy to write messy code that noone else can understand which is not good for programming teams. I look back at scripts I wrote 2 to 3 years ago and have no idea what they do or how they work anymore.

I mostly use python now for scripting tasks and the Drupal CMS for any web work.

Many of the worlds largest and most mission critical systems still have massive amounts of legacy perl (EDI document handling, batch job runs,routine system maintenance, reporting,database backups and restores etc....to name a few functional areas that spring to mind).