Driving in Thailand

sotonowl

5 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

Thank you, that makes more sense.

So my understanding of this then, is that there is no 90-day rule. Just as long as you don't have a non-immigrant visa you don't need a Thai driver's license. Is that fair to assume?

Yes thats right but you wont be staying longer than 90 days. Its basically the same all over the world , most countries are signatories to the international treaties, accept each others licenses (IDP for translation) and usually have a 2-3 month period before a local license is required.

Yes thats right but you wont be staying longer than 90 days. Its basically the same all over the world , most countries are signatories to the international treaties, accept each others licenses (IDP for translation) and usually have a 2-3 month period before a local license is required.
Yes, that's good to keep in mind. Nice summary.

However, according to the text that was quoted earlier, in Thailand you cannot legally drive on a foreign license at all if you entered the country on a non-immigrant visa. Perhaps again a case of lost in translation?

How come the IDP covers only for 3 months ? I've been using one for 6 years now and each one lasts 1 year . Bought at the post office for around £5 and dated for a years use in countries of your choice.  

An IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue, however it is only valid in most countries for 3 months from your date of entry so in effect if you arrive on Jan 1st your IDP is no longer valid after the 1st of April and you must convert it to a local licence, this is not generally enforced here by the police but if for example you were involved in an accident after the Three months were up the insurance company may take a dim view of this and consider you were not licensed to drive said vehicle
We all no that insurance companies will look for any reason they can not to pay out so be careful

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived