MPs seek to block no-deal Brexit by stopping government funds

Jonathan Fairfield

4 minutes ago, vogie said:

I am sure (well not that sure) that Parliament does represent all the people, unless you are a Liberal Democrat who only want to represent remainers, Labour is not too sure who they want to represent, the Tories are split on who they represent, the only party that democratically wants to represent the 17.4 (majority) are the Brexit party. Can you see it is an impossible task to make everyone happy, it is not going to happen, there will be people dissapointed that they havn't got their own way, that is how democracy works.

Now don't go all echolalia on me.????

Agree.

Prepare to be disappointed. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, vogie said:

At the moment Chomper it is not working very well is it, ignore the people at your peril.

You might think that, millions disagree with you.

It is patently obvious that neither Johnson nor Hunt will get the majority support in Parliament for a no deal Brexit, and that's before the animosity either candidate raises plays a part. It is also very clear that talk of proroguing Parliament is little more than nonsense (dangerous nonsense, but nonsense all the same). 

So what we actually have is the main candidate for the post of PM running his mouth and making threats that he surely knows are hollow hogwash. Not everyone is taken in by this nonsense.

Parliament is doing exactly what it should do, representing all the people regardless what they voted for or even if they did not vote. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, vogie said:

Maybe Hunt or Johnson may not get a majority, that still does not mean we will not leave the EU with a no deal. By law it is the default option, the EU will have a say on this also. Lets be honest, nobody has a clue.

If the PM doesn't get the backing of Parliament it aint happening. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

I would appreciate less patronisation Chomper, you are above that and I don't deserve it.

All Boris has to do is not to bother writing to the EU and we are out. Do you think that the French will go back on their word and grant another extension.

Your version varys from a lot of MPs, Stephen Kinnock even admitted on the Politics Live Show that there was a strong chance of a no deal.

Boris might say that the odds on a no deal are a million to one, but PaddyPower are only offering 2/1. 

I doubt a Johnson Government will last that long.

Parliament, which will not back no-deal has the power to bring down the Government.

1,000,000 : 1 is still too big a risk in the hands of a habitually lying idiot.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Well, if nothing else, this shower of shit has taught me never, ever to believe any politician ever again

I just hope they kick out this No Deal, then kick out the Tories, and install Labour

Lets see all these pieces of shit, politicians, remainers, etc, complain when we are still in the EU, but with the unions running the country

I'm gunna sit at my pool and watch how the UK is reduced to a third world country, just like in the 70s, with strikes, inflation , job losses, hyper inflation

But that's what the so called "remainers " want,to ignore the people who voted ?

Can we expect the same when we have an election, people wanting a 2nd vote because they didn't like the result of the 1st one ?

Perhaps you should take a closer look at the ‘easy promises’ you were offered and the people who fed them to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, stephenterry said:

If the hard-line Brexiteers of the ERG had voted with Johnson and Hunt to pass the WAG, the UK would have left in March. This deal, although far from perfect, according to some, is far better than a no-deal scenario -and quite rightly parliament would aim to prevent a no-deal, as it woud ruin the UK economy, devalue sterling, etc etc.

Many have opinions about the effects and validity of a no deal but to rule it out seriously weakens the negotiating position. As for devaluing sterling, as members, which we are, sterling has lost rather a lot.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Absolutely, as long as the first (of many) referendums is completed.

IF the second referendum also is in favour of Brexit will you accept that as democracy and cease your incessant babblings? A simple yes or no answer is all that is required.

There is also zero evidence that all of the population is in favour of the Tories, Labour, Lib/Dems/ Green party, Brexit party etc. At this point it is FPTP.

Does that mean that the party you support should run the country and ignore the democratic vote from the electorate?

Unfortunately for you both that is reality under the FPTP system in use in the UK at the moment.

If you don't like it the get your MP (if you have a vote) to do something about it, but don't be to disappointed if nothing happens.

Alternatively go back to the UK, stand for parliament, convenience at least 400 current MPs that you are right and they are wrong and you can then introduce PR.

Personally I can't see it happening but I do wish you the best of luck.

i'm not avoiding the question, but it would depend on the referendum questionnaire - if there is one - which could have several alternatives to vote for. I could reason right now it wouldn't just be a simple leave or remain.

As for political democracy, it has been explained ad infinitum on here that MPs  - our sovereign parliament - should be enacting what's best for the country, full stop - not a FPTP. Our democracy is such that ALL people deserve to be heard and the government should be accountable for whatever course they decide to take.  

I suspect that at the next election PR could be introduced - or at least mandated by one or two parties.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1