Social Security

During a visit to my lawyer recently, I was told that once in business I would need to pay social security contributions for 15 years before becoming eligible to use Thai health public facilities. Does anyone know if that's correct? I have a friend who has been in business in Thailand for a few years now but certainly not 15 and I am sure he's used a Thai hospital before.

I am also a little confused as to the position regarding a person's eligibility to the social security system once they are over 60.  I've heard various stories - some say you are offered all your contributions back but can still use the facilities, others say that you cannot use the facilities once you reach 60 if you accept the refund. Does anyone know the definitive answer to this?

Edited by KhaoYai

Just now, hereforgood said:

incorrect

over 60 and retired you can continue paying into it provided you were under 60 when you began working. i believe 12 months of work and you can use it no way 15 years

Thanks, what is the position if you are over 60 when you start work?

I paid social security for about five years before I claimed on it.

As the hospital I went to wasn't the one designated on my social security card, I had to pay the bill then claim it back from my local office, which I did.

Also when I stopped working, I claimed back all my social security payments I had made. I received a bank transfer for 50,000 Baht.

When you're sixty you no longer have to pay into the social security fund, but I don't know how it affects you using the facilities.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

Then you still qualify for the work permit and business Visa but you can no longer claim the medical benefits

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

I take it that's specific to foreigners - Thai people can still use the facilities?

I take it that's specific to foreigners - Thai people can still use the facilities?
I don't have that answer as I am a foreigner it just applies to me and other foreigners not sure how the Thais fit into the picture

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, hereforgood said:

incorrect

over 60 and retired you can continue paying into it provided you were under 60 when you began working. i believe 12 months of work and you can use it no way 15 years

I wonder if the 15 year period is for those who start paying contributions when they are over 60?

you are misinterpreting your lawyer. Your lawyer means when you will become eligible for a monthly stipend when you reach retirement age. To receive a monthly government pension you need to contribute for 15 years. The other element to Thai SS is medical. You can receive those benefits 3 months after signing up and contributing. btw, the monthly pension amt. is peanuts.

8 hours ago, Rama said:

you are misinterpreting your lawyer.

Nope, we were specifically talking about medical benefits - I already know the Thai pension is very low, I'm not interested in that part.