Cop’s grieving family drops legal threat after drunk driver pays record Bt45m

snoop1130

12 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

But the reckless driving charge leading to a death will still result in a gaol term, yes?

reckless driving resulting to homicide or drunk driving resulting to man slaughter??

Compensation should be a civil matter, and I doubt the equivalent to THB45 Mil paid out by an insurance company in the western world would have batted an eyelid.

I  do not know how serious the injuries to the daughter were and just how life changing they were but no doubt 45 mill will have bought her a very big family.

Obviously the bulk of the payout should have gone the daughter but does Thailand have a system of putting such payments in to a trust?

Compensation payouts should never stop the prosecution of criminal acts. 

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CALSinCM said:

The rich can buy their way out of criminal charges.  Jail is for the little people.

A settlement in a civil case should not affect the level of criminal charges brought against the defendant. A Thai doctor once told me that rich people don't go To jail in Thailand. So true !

• Like 1

Well i suppose the drunk driver has taken some responsibility 

while the other @rsehole who killed a cop,just did a runner,

taking no responsibility at all.45 million would have nothing

to him too.

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
add on

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Well i suppose the drunk driver has taken some responsibility 

while the other @rsehole who killed a cop,just did a runner,

taking no responsibility at all.45 million would have nothing

to him too.

regards worgeordie

Maybe enough compensation was made to affected parties behind the scene which we do not know about... 

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Public prosecutor have now decided to drop the charges related to homicide.

Somchai has already pleaded guilty to the three remaining charges of speeding, drunk driving and reckless driving.

The court will deliver its verdict on July 31.

Homicide, well I a glad the prosecutor decided to drop that charge, because no doubt it would have been thrown out of court, as homicide from my interpretation means: the deliberate killing of a person, this was an accident so I fail to see the relevance to a homicide charge.

Pleading guilty to the remaining 3 charges, i.e. speeding, drunk driving and reckless driving, well that's just an everyday event on Thai roads isn't it, I suppose the fact that he drives a Benz and has compensated the deceased daughter, no doubt the court system here will go lightly on him, e.g. 500 baht for each charge and a wai. I only hope the daughter does get the 45 mil and no lawyer pees off with it, or the grandparents don't pee it up the wall.

Will be waiting for the verdict, don't know why, because I reckon it's pretty much what I have assumed.

21 minutes ago, justin case said:

other people's life is 50k baht but because its a cop the prise rise 1000x ?

More like loss of future earnings as well as how wealthy the guilty party is. Milk all you can . 

• Like 1

Sadness for the family loss. 

Not even in the line of duty. 

The thai obsession with monetary is just another sad blight on the LOS.

Never seem to see any mention of the actual government amount payable in these circumstances?

It always seems to fall back on the individuals concerned. 

*There would have to be some life insurance cover and the third party insurance component that is attached to vehicle accidents?

Just interested.

Or does that not get paid if the party involved coughs up a small fortune like this?

friends that are recovered "now sober" alcoholics whose actions while drunk landed them prison terms have told me it was the best thing that could have happened because they had no choice but to be sober. once the brain cleared they were able to think normally and realize/regret all the damage they had done.

at least the compensation paid is real world though some might argue too much based on predicted earnings for given occupations

2 minutes ago, atyclb said:

friends that are recovered "now sober" alcoholics whose actions while drunk landed them prison terms have told me it was the best thing that could have happened because they had no choice but to be sober. once the brain cleared they were able to think normally and realize/regret all the damage they had done.

at least the compensation paid is real world though some might argue too much based on predicted earnings for given occupations

No one, ever, should be allowed to get charges dropped for financial compensation. The law should be above all, no matter class, money, gender or 'who you know'. The opposite is true here.

11 hours ago, off road pat said:

Hmm,..Correct, but In the real world similar things happen as well, but in the background!!!

This one was almost in the open...now if this is a good or a bad thing is a very different and difficult question to answer.

If by real world you mean Western democracies,NO it wouldn’t,the criminal charges would be prosecuted irrespective of any financial settlement-the two are quite separate and in UK for example this guy would be on the thick end of the 14 years maximum for causing death by dangerous driving.