Arrivals at Suvarnabhumi expected to top 200,000 a day in October

webfact

Arrivals at Suvarnabhumi expected to top 200,000 a day in October

By The Nation

sb.jpg

The number of passengers arriving at Suvarnabhumi Airport is expected to rise to 200,000 a day when winter starts in October, the airport’s general manager said Tuesday.

Wing Commander Suthirawat Suwanawat said the arrival of flights and passengers during the winter season, which begins in October, is expected to increase by two to three per cent compared to last year.

He added that passenger arrivals at the airport last October averaged between180,000 and 190,000 a day while while the number of arrivals in June was about 160,000 a day.

Passenger arrivals averaged 200,000 per day for ten consecutive days from late December to early January.

Wing Commander Suthirawat noted that Chinese tourists have also started returning to Thailand and several Chinese airlines have requested landing slots. A few have been rejected due to too tight schedules.

The general manager said the airport expected to see the number of arriving passengers at the end of this year stand at about 66 million to 68 million, an increase over 62.81 million from the previous year.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/business/30372123

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-02

51 minutes ago, webfact said:

The general manager said the airport expected to see the number of arriving passengers at the end of this year stand at about 66 million to 68 million, an increase over 62.81 million from the previous year.

Guess that they'll have to work more efficiently than last year to keep the queues down.

Edited by Vacuum

That's a hell of alot of fully loaded planes flying into Thailand.

Say 150 per plane average, well over 1000 flights a day so obviously includes day trippers bringing untaxed smokes from border countries who are not tourists. 

That's a negative for the bean counters.

Misleading stats as usual

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alien365 said:

So that's 139 people per minute going through immigration with the new biometrics. Good luck with that!

You've bought up a good point. 139 people per minute also assumes that they are processing passengers 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

I find that very hard to believe.

Something doesn't add up and I expect it's the bullshit immigration figures.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Nothing wrong with the new system it only took me 2 hours to go trough

I flew in last saturday. Biometrics not being used. No fingerprint scan.

Flew out yesterday, still none of it, but it was the first time i had to take my shoes off at any airport for scan.

40 minutes ago, Sujo said:

I flew in last saturday. Biometrics not being used. No fingerprint scan.

Flew out yesterday, still none of it, but it was the first time i had to take my shoes off at any airport for scan.

you might have been lucky I had my fingerprints scanned on the way in but on the way out

they did not I guess they didn't need to because I was scanned on the way in

"the number of arriving passengers at the end of this year stand at about 66 million to 68 million." 40 million of them are tourists. 

66 to 68 million... So, if the TAT talks of 40 million foreign tourists, then there have to be 26 to 28 million Thai travellers, or foreigners travelling on in Thailand, e.g. to Phuket, Ko Samui, and Chiang Mai, or to other countries. I suspect they count everyone 3-4 times for each one-way flight, so the actual number of people travelling to Thailand for a holiday each year may be closer to 10 million...

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

66 to 68 million... So, if the TAT talks of 40 million foreign tourists, then there have to be 26 to 28 million Thai travellers, or foreigners travelling on in Thailand, e.g. to Phuket, Ko Samui, and Chiang Mai, or to other countries. I suspect they count everyone 3-4 times for each one-way flight, so the actual number of people travelling to Thailand for a holiday each year may be closer to 10 million...

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

No-one knows....

Well, I doubt that the figures are fudged by that much. Was flying in to Suvarnabhumi yesterday (low season?) and it was as busy as ever. Every seat on the plane from Dubai was in use, and nearly every immigration kiosk was open. The fingerprint scanners were in use, but as they scanned me in May, only needed 4 fingers so I only took 2 minutes. New people were taking twice as long. Total of 1.5 hours from plane to baggage carousel. Likewise my flight to Udon was absolutely full. Even Udon airport sees nearly 2 million passengers a year - over 90% Thais.

200'000 people per day ? Does this figure mean the number of people waiting in the queue because the immigration boys are either to slow or holding up the queue by picking on some innocent visitor and enforcing some made up rules ?

For the fun I tried to estimate the numbers of IO necessary to process all those arrivals.

First some number for Suvarnabhumi in 2018: about 25 millions international arrival, less than 6 millions domestic arrivals and less than 1 millions transfer. So about 77% of arrival will go through immigration. That's about 150k passengers per day, spending about 1 minute at the immigration checkpoint (magic arbitrary number based on gut feeling). 1440 minutes in a day... 150,000 / 1440 =~ 104

I estimate that about 104 IOs are necessary. So now this number seems ridiculous to me, even if passengers spent on average 30 seconds at the checkpoint that's still more than fifty IOs AT ANY GIVEN TIME. Which number is wrong here ? Something doesn't add up or please someone correct me if you think that many IOs are effectively manning the booths at BKK

Nevermind, it's all bullshit again: in BKK official stats report, October 2018 saw 2.5M arrivals so between 80-90k per day, far from the "180-190k" of the article.

https://www.airportthai.co.th/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Annual-Airport-2018.pdf (page 99 for monthly count)