Absurdity of Visa extension and TM.30 requirements

4 hours ago, Carolina Reaper said:

This part isn't quite true. I've read the legal language surrounding this assertion and it's effectively neutralized by a separate paragraph that says that the 90-day reporting requirement for those staying longer than 90 days (i.e., on long stay visa or extension) satisfies the "internal movement" part of the overall TM30 reporting requirement, at least from the foreigner's point of view.

However, something like a hotel is never relieved of their TM30 reporting obligation.

Perhaps you could show a link to the regulations you've quoted that assert a 90 day report abrogates the need for the TM30. I'm sure many would be interested in reading it, and perhaps even giving a copy to their local IO, particularly the offices that have fined transgressors.

The way I understand it, if a hotel, where you may have stayed for one night, records you at their address, you have to do an updated TM30 when you return to your normal residence, else the system has you as being elsewhere. 

In my earlier post I tried to point out that the sheer numbers of records that need to be compiled, along with, what must be, an extraordinarily low compliancy rate, makes the systems goals an impossibility!

The impracticallity of a data base that requires a plethora of people such as expats, short term tourists, hoteliers, absent landlords, private resident owners, and others to upkeep it, wouldn't work anywhere, let alone in Thailand.

As a tool in finding the bad guys, who are unlikely to volunteer their whereabouts anyway, the system is about as effective as those bomb detecting devices Thailand went all in on.

Ergo, it's purpose must only be for raising funds from a few unfortunates.   (or forcing people to Agents)

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, zydeco said:

Been waiting four weeks for approval for my online registration for the TM30. Your suggestion is nonsense.

How is it nonsense? It works in my area - in fact Korat Immigration did the registration for me. If your area is poor at doing this, take it up with them.

Edited by KhaoYai

32 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

How is it nonsense? It works in my area - in fact Korat Immigration did the registration for me. If your area is poor at doing this, take it up with them.

I love it when folk talk about the imm offices in towns. Clearly never dealt with CW. You don't have a chin wag there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I love it when folk talk about the imm offices in towns. Clearly never dealt with CW. You don't have a chin wag there. 

Correct, I've never dealt with CW but as far as I know, registering for online TM30 reporting is national - not dealt with by a particular office.

What's process for the TM30 at CW and what document do I need in my case: Residing with Thai spouse who owns the property and is listed as House Master in the blue book, while I'm listed as occupant in the Yellow Book?

Edited by Morakot

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Correct, I've never dealt with CW but as far as I know, registering for online TM30 reporting is national - not dealt with by a particular office.

I'm assuming you have not needed to register for online report for tm30. Yes some have reported success. Many have reported complete frustration. The successful ones I imagine have the full on desk top at home. Some experts advising this browser or that. Most punters would not have a clue how to register. Let alone those that do not use TVF. 

Give it a go and report back how easy it was. 

Others doing it by mail waiting weeks plus for reply. 

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I'm assuming you have not needed to register for online report for tm30. Yes some have reported success. Many have reported complete frustration. The successful ones I imagine have the full on desk top at home. Some experts advising this browser or that. Most punters would not have a clue how to register. Let alone those that do not use TVF. 

Give it a go and report back how easy it was. 

Others doing it by mail waiting weeks plus for reply. 

If you took the time to actually read my posts you would realise that I am already registered for TM30 reporting.  From the post you first picked up on #62:

'in fact Korat Immigration did the registration for me'

I initially had a problem with Korat over the 'housemaster' not being present but once we got over that bit, I was sent to a small office in a different building. The young lady in there was very helpful and set up my online reporting with username and password. I use a laptop on Firefox and have no problems.

I'm not condoning TM30 reporting, I think its bloody ridiculous especially for those on long term stays who have to report their address to report their address. But for the moment its there and is increasingly becoming a requirement.

Edited by KhaoYai

IMHO you identified the problem at hand with your closing statement...... "I really fail to understand the logic behind this".

Common sense and logic are a bridge to far for most Thais to cross..............

All other aspects in Thailand are "anything goes" 

And like Nike "just do it" and "where's my tea money"

Many of you are overthinking the “absurdity” of all this.

I went to CM immigration to help somebody get a re-entry stamp this week. From reception to the copy shop, to three different desks they dealt with at least 8 different people. If the applicants hotel had not done their job they would have been fined (TM30, deepest gold mine in the history of Chiang Mai immigration).

In a rational system all this could be done online in advance, at a automated kiosk onsite even. Finally with one supervisor to stamp the passport. Rest of them out on their bums to find productive work.

It isn’t absurd it is a jobs program.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2019 at 9:37 AM, Pedrogaz said:

Yes totally absurd. Why don't they buy a computer to enable them can talk to the immigration at the airport.

I am fed up with the endless pointless petty rules and the outright corruption here in Thailand. 

I'm going to check out the Philippines at least they speak English there.

Immigration is a breeze in Philippines, but you'll still be there every 2 months on average unless you drop ten grand USD. They also have a BS ID card you have to get annually. It's just a revenue raiser. Everything else seems to be worse in PI except the price of booze.

Banks, post office. accommodation, infrastructure, supermarkets, all far below Thailand.

HOWEVER, I am sick to death of the screws turning here and really tired of Asia in general. Cambodia is just gross.

Reluctantly considering Colombia, also hearing crime threat there is overrated if you're careful, and a similar lifestyle to be had to this old place before the little green men from mars landed and Fubar-ed it beyond all recognition.

On 7/3/2019 at 5:43 PM, KhaoYai said:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about. Yes it seems crazy to have to report TM30 because surely you are reporting your address when you do your 90 day reports - but really, its very easy to report TM30 online and once set up, it only takes a couple of minutes. Just go with the flow, why get stressed over this?

When you change, renew your passport, their systems can't cope, 90 day report rejected, you have to show up after that. Or post it, which is just as time consuming. 

• Like 1