Siriraj Hospital looks for relatives of killer Si Quey

Siriraj Hospital looks for relatives of killer Si Quey

By The Nation

800_b2e00b86ac19611.jpg

Bangkok’s Siriraj Hospital plans to reach out to the relatives of alleged Chinese serial killer Si Quey to discuss how to deal with the man’s embalmed corpse.

The hospital is due to make the announcement on Wednesday. 

Si Quey’s embalmed corpse has been displayed in a glass case at Siriraj Medical Museum for six decades. 

Dr Prasit Watanapa, dean of Mahidol University's Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, said on Tuesday that the hospital would wait for one month – until August 3. If none of the man’s relatives showed up, the hospital will have the legitimate right to deal with the body.

He said the hospital did not intend to make an official contact with the Chinese Embassy to assist with the search. However, the embassy was free to offer its help, he said.

He said the current measure was aimed at making its actions in keeping with the law. He said the hospital’s legal team had suggested that a relative, who can present evidence to being a blood relation – should be located to discuss how the body should be dealt with.

Following pressure from a recent online campaign to restore the convict’s human dignity, the hospital on May 31 removed the label “cannibal” from the glass case displaying Si Quey’s embalmed body. The hospital later announced that it would cremate his body.

Si Quey was reportedly a Chinese migrant who had moved to Thailand shortly after the end of World War II. He was accused of murdering seven children between 1954 and 1958 in Prachuap Khiri Khan, Nakhon Pathom, Bangkok and Rayong provinces, but he was found guilty of only one murder – in Rayong. 

He was sentenced to death, and executed by a firing squad in September 1959. Siriraj Medical School sought custody of his body for autopsy studies. Later, the body was embalmed and put on display in a glass case at Siriraj Medical Museum.

Source: http://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372143

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-02

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He said the hospital’s legal team had suggested that a relative, who can present evidence to being a blood relation – should be located to discuss how the body should be dealt with.

I take it they won't be doing a blood test to compare any claimant with the exhibit, unless they've kept his blood somewhere else.

Edited by bluesofa
grammar

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Following pressure from a recent online campaign to restore the convict’s human dignity, the hospital on May 31 removed the label “cannibal” from the glass case displaying Si Quey’s embalmed body.

How do you restore human dignity to a corpse? Even as a non-cannibal, I'd be very surprised if anyone was to restore human dignity to me after I've fallen off the twig and joined the choir invisible. 

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I take it they won't be doing a blood test to compare any claimant with the exhibit, unless they've kept his blood somewhere else.

They can get DNA from Si Quey to compare with collateral relations. Maybe it would be culturally appropriate to ship him back to China in a box. I wonder whether he didn't just drink the babies' blood, rather than eating intestines as was hypothesized. Cannibalism as a cultural practice in China is well documented, even in Imperial banquets!

On 7/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, snoop1130 said:

Si Quey’s embalmed corpse has been displayed in a glass case at Siriraj Medical Museum for six decades.

Glad to hear the hospital now is proceeding to deal with this matter with all deliberate speed, as is the custom here.... :whistling: