EU leaders choose France's Lagarde for ECB after marathon summit

webfact

2 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It might matter but that would be a separate case.

What really matters is that Lagarde has been previously in court for a fraud-related case, found guilty of negligence but now has been given the reins of the ECB. A bit rich, even for the EU. 

What really matters is the dishonesty of the arguments you are relying upon.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You seem to be misinformed.

"I will put it more simply...….IN the UK we have direct democracy.  Every MP and minister must be elected directly by the people".

There is absolutely no requirement that 'ministers must be elected directly by the people'

Cabinet ministers are not elected to ministerial office by the people, and there is absolutely no requirement that they must be elected to Parliament by the people. 

Throughout the past one hundred years there have been numerous occasions upon which members of the House of Lords (not elected by the people) have been appointed to the cabinet as ministers and a number of occasions in which people who were not members of either of the Houses of Parliament have been appointed to the cabinet as ministers. 

Chomper, you know and I know that the anti EU gang never allow facts to stop them sprouting their garbage.  What you say is of course 100% correct but I can't wait for them to come back with some other fictional scare stories.  Hav'n't heard them make mention of the British constitution for a few days, do you think it has finally sunk in that there is not such thing ? or perhaps just my wishful thinking that they have finally educated themselves maybe ?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, aright said:

Putting aside her court antics which were judged by the French who find her very appealing there are other issues. She is a lawyer by training , lacks the traditional background of most central bankers and has no first-hand monetary experience as an economist. Dare I suggest this was a political appointment?

You can't do that! Can you? ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

Chomper, you know and I know that the anti EU gang never allow facts to stop them sprouting their garbage.  What you say is of course 100% correct but I can't wait for them to come back with some other fictional scare stories.  Hav'n't heard them make mention of the British constitution for a few days, do you think it has finally sunk in that there is not such thing ? or perhaps just my wishful thinking that they have finally educated themselves maybe ?

No such thing as what?

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It might matter but that would be a separate case.

What really matters is that Lagarde has been previously in court for a fraud-related case, found guilty of negligence but now has been given the reins of the ECB. A bit rich, even for the EU. 

A lone grinning smiley is neither response or defence, Chomper. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nauseus said:

A lone grinning smiley is neither response or defence, Chomper. 

What defence is necessary against libellous accusations?

It is now firmly established that the claim that Legarde was convicted of a serious fraud is hogwash. 

Feel free to move the goal posts, but admit that fact first. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You seem to be misinformed.

"I will put it more simply...….IN the UK we have direct democracy.  Every MP and minister must be elected directly by the people".

There is absolutely no requirement that 'ministers must be elected directly by the people'

Cabinet ministers are not elected to ministerial office by the people, and there is absolutely no requirement that they must be elected to Parliament by the people. 

Throughout the past one hundred years there have been numerous occasions upon which members of the House of Lords (not elected by the people) have been appointed to the cabinet as ministers and a number of occasions in which people who were not members of either of the Houses of Parliament have been appointed to the cabinet as ministers. 

Why so pedantic? Are we talking thousands?

Non Cabinet Ministers are referred to as "Ministers without Portfolios" not Cabinet Ministers, who hold sinecure posts like Lord Privy Seal or empty titles like First Secretary of State. Since you have obviously researched this subject and quote 100 years how many non elected Cabinet Ministers have been in post over that time?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

What really matters is the dishonesty of the arguments you are relying upon.

Um. Well you can try and dispute the stories in the 3 links given if you like? But it looks like Lagarde is the dishonest one here from ALL accounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aright said:

Why so pedantic? Are we talking thousands?

Non Cabinet Ministers are referred to as "Ministers without Portfolios" not Cabinet Ministers, who hold sinecure posts like Lord Privy Seal or empty titles like First Secretary of State. Since you have obviously researched this subject and quote 100 years how many non elected Cabinet Ministers have been in post over that time?

Sorry for pointing out your lack of understanding of how the British government works. 

It has, I see, spurred you to do some research and fill the gap in your knowledge, in that respect I am pleased to have helped. 

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Already conceded and downgraded to merely negligence. But does that make her fit to run the ECB? 

I'm not sure negligence is as serious a fault as that, I've been involved the in the investigation of too many incidents involving negligence, often with tragic outcomes, to view it as anything other than a human failing that can be fixed. Not so the criminality that would be associated with guilt for 'serious fraud'.

Thank you for debating this and accepting the point I made. 

Those making and or repeating the slur have stayed clear of defending it. 

8 minutes ago, nauseus said:

It doesn't matter whether negligence is a fixable human failing or not. What matters is that Lagarde has been convicted as part of a fraud case and therefore is not a suitable candidate to be a bank manager.

What matters is Largarde was not convicted of 'serious fraud'.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

From someone who had never heard of poll tax ????

Oh I've heard of the poll tax. 

Tried out twice. 

The second time Thatcher had the sense to trial run it first on the Scotts, with the result predicted by its first outing. 

Edited by Chomper Higgot

My apologies for not reading all the thread but there is a reason. Anyone with half a brain knows that the corrupt EU look for those who care not about the people, have no problems with lying to the world, are sociopaths and will continue to work for the cause. She is a perfect addition to the already corrupt, non transparent EU. Well done for continuing with your present course. The federalisation of Europe, removing countries independence, a new EU army and convincing the EU luvvies, it was all for the benefit of multiculturalism. Hilarious.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This sort of thing will be the EU's downfall ... making gender balance more important than ability. These positions should be given to the best qualified and those with proven competent records, not to those so that they can tick some lefty agenda list of boxes. Roles/jobs should be given to the most capable, it's called Meritocracy for those who are incapable of getting it, give you link to the idea too and it's high time we switched to this instead of the rubbish we have now ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

My apologies for not reading all the thread but there is a reason. Anyone with half a brain knows that the corrupt EU look for those who care not about the people, have no problems with lying to the world, are sociopaths and will continue to work for the cause. She is a perfect addition to the already corrupt, non transparent EU. Well done for continuing with your present course. The federalisation of Europe, removing countries independence, a new EU army and convincing the EU luvvies, it was all for the benefit of multiculturalism. Hilarious.

Actually it has been very transparent. The governments of each member States have voted.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brigand said:

This sort of thing will be the EU's downfall ... making gender balance more important than ability. These positions should be given to the best qualified and those with proven competent records, not to those so that they can tick some lefty agenda list of boxes. Roles/jobs should be given to the most capable, it's called Meritocracy for those who are incapable of getting it, give you link to the idea too and it's high time we switched to this instead of the rubbish we have now ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meritocracy

Former ministry of economy and finance, former head of IMF. No merit?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brigand said:

She is controversial to say the least with accusations of corruption and a less that clean record. Just because the elite OK it, it doesn't mean she has merit for the job .. just a stitch-up, everyone knows unless you are wearing rose-tinted ones. Facepalm I even have to point this out and looks like you did no research on this at all.

I know more about this story than you do. To make it short, it's about a guy who mandated a state-owned bank to sell his company. He found out later that this bank actually bought his company together with partners, via a vehicle corporation located in a fiscal paradise. The bank resold it one year later at a much higher price.