EU leaders choose France's Lagarde for ECB after marathon summit

webfact

6 minutes ago, candide said:

I know more about this story than you do. To make it short, it's about a guy who mandated a state-owned bank to sell his company. He found out later that this bank actually bought his company together with partners, via a vehicle corporation located in a fiscal paradise. The bank resold it one year later at a much higher price.

Ooooh, nicely arrogant there, did I hit a nerve?

17 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Heated and sound democratic debate. Does it never happen in national parliaments? If MEPs don't vote for her she will not become EC president. Quite transparent again.

Just now, candide said:

Heated and sound democratic debate. Does it never happen in national parliaments? If MEPs don't vote for her she will not become EC president. Quite transparent again.

I didn't note that Mr. Tusk seemed keen to join in any "debate". 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, candide said:

Actually it has been very transparent. The governments of each member States have voted.

I guess you can't see what the MEP's and even Junker the drunk can. Obviously it is that attitude of all is well lets hold hands and sing 'Kum Ba Yah. ladee dah.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/european-commission-president-ursula-von-der-leyen-juncker-eu-parliament-a8987841.html

https://www.politico.eu/article/meps-lash-out-at-eu-leaders-over-top-jobs-package-ursula-von-der-leyen-european-commission-president/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/05/jean-claude-juncker-hits-eus-secretive-deal-name-successor/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Brigand said:

She is controversial to say the least with accusations of corruption and a less than clean record. Just because the elite OKed it, it doesn't mean she has merit for the job ... just a stitch-up, everyone knows really, unless you are wearing rose-tinted ones. Facepalm that I even have to point this out and looks like you did no research on this at all.

So she will fit in fine in the EU then. People go on about others who are criminals and jump on the bandwagon until one of the EU's puppy dogs are called out and everything is fine. Smacks of hypocrisy. Yes I agree with you. A stitch up and what's the most hilarious part is the EU lovers can't see it or actually support it.  You couldn't make it up.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

If the MEPs don't agree with this choice, they will not vote for her. No problem for me.

5 minutes ago, nauseus said:

But this is one of the problems. She is the only candidate on offer and the EU Parliament is very unlikely to be given another option to rubber stamp - it is the EU way - this is EU "democracy" at its finest.

She is not any more a candidate, she's a nominated person to be approved by the MEPs. She has been voted in by the elected governments of each country. If these governments had felt it was not in their respective interest, they would not have voted her in.

Opinions may diverge, but personally  I prefer a dominance of the voice of countries' elected government rather than of the EP because they will have to implement and enforce EU policies.

There is obviously a power struggle between the EP and the council, nothing extraordinary.

44 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

When explaining the EU to Thai friends they fall over laughing and say no wonder people voted for brexit.

I envy you. 

I wish I had such Thai friends/ acquaintances/relatives, a spouse, knowing/interested about the complexities of the E.U. system, and Brexit. 

Edited by luckyluke
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I envy you. 

I wish I had such Thai friends/ acquaintances/relatives, a spouse, knowing/interested about the complexities of the E.U. system, and Brexit. 

Live in Thailand for 16 years. Have Thai friends who were educated outside of the country with Masters and Doctorates and it will come easy. No need for envy just a broad mind and don't rely on taxi drivers and som tam sellers to have the understanding, not that I am disrespecting any of them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

I envy you. 

I guess that they politely nodded at his Brexit stance, as they usually do when they don't give a damn. ????

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Live in Thailand for 16 years. Have Thai friends who were educated outside of the country with Masters and Doctorates... 

I envy you more and more.

I am permanently in Thailand since 2000. 

I know such people, but they are not interested in me. 

In fact I never saw them in the company of "farangs". 

So, Kudos to you. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, luckyluke said:

I envy you more and more.

I am permanently in Thailand since 2000. 

I know such people, but they are not interested in me. 

In fact I never saw them in the company of "farangs". 

So, Kudos to you. 

Okay so your not a newbie then. Possibly change your friends set then if they are not interested in you or your views and opinions, or find some new ones. I can't really comment on your personal situation but living in Bangkok, I met quite a few very educated Thais who wanted to know what Brexit was about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I tend never to guess and no you are completely wrong, yet again. Lots of educated Thais do give a damn, especially when they have children at universities and they have businesses exporting to the UK.

I see you are just trying to be clever but come across as a ships anchor.

Sorry, I was just being nasty. ????

Having said that, they would probably have agreed with you if you had argued for the opposite position. As they do with me! ????