Train to Hua Hin...

moontang

I did this a few days ago.... way better than the vans, just as fast (or slow), 1000 times safer, and a route that gets quite scenic around Ratchaburi.  Wouldn't go near it on a holiday, and the heat would factor in, in 3rd class, but leave Bang Su at 940, arrive at 1335, and Bang Su is much easier for most to get to than southern bus terminal or MO Chit.  44 THB.. the guy came through twice and collected garbage, and a third time with a damp mop... very relaxing.  If it leaves late, it will make up some of the time... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moontang said:

I did this a few days ago....

i live in HH. 4pm train to Bangkok then short ride on MRT arrive at Asok station 8:30pm. 2nd class AC. I bring my own snacks. and noise canceling headphones.  

MUCH MORE safe than the highways.

also Sombat Tours VIP bus HH to Mo Chit station. very relaxing. like first class seating on a airplane.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

i live in HH. 4pm train to Bangkok then short ride on MRT arrive at Asok station 8:30pm. 2nd class AC. I bring my own snacks. and noise canceling headphones.  

MUCH MORE safe than the highways.

also Sombat Tours VIP bus HH to Mo Chit station. very relaxing. like first class seating on a airplane.

I did sombat last time, it took just as long, non scenic, and drop off was less convenient.  It still beats the heck out of the vans.  I had to sit by a Chinese guy with real bad bologna breath, though. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I might be doing this from Hua Hin back to Bangkok, looking at train times it doesn't look amazing, not sure if my info is up to date but aside from a 3:58pm train there's a distinct lack of trains leaving/going through Hua Hin from 10am-ish to 1pm-ish and getting back to Bangkok at a reasonable afternoon time.

Stuck with some 6am type train to get into 10:30 by the looks of it!

14 minutes ago, Razzler1973 said:

I might be doing this from Hua Hin back to Bangkok, looking at train times it doesn't look amazing, not sure if my info is up to date but aside from a 3:58pm train there's a distinct lack of trains leaving/going through Hua Hin from 10am-ish to 1pm-ish and getting back to Bangkok at a reasonable afternoon time.

Take the 1135 to Thonburi... walk to the pier.. Ferry boat to lots of places.. 

• Thanks 1

10-4.  As far as using second class.. One experience was that the windows didn't open in second class, but I did get a better reserved seat, but in the early mornings the fresh air is great.  I made quite a few trip to Ayutthaya on the train, but am new on this route.  I swore off the van last time, and I believe the one from Southern bus terminal shut down... Good riddance. 

Edited by moontang

On 7/4/2019 at 4:28 PM, moontang said:

10-4.  As far as using second class.. One experience was that the windows didn't open in second class, 

The 0805 south has air conditioning plus fans and windows are sealed. 

Staying with trains. What's the strength of the story that their is an elevated high speed train line being put in Bangkok all the way south to the border and - don't shoot the messenger - operational in 4 years?

On 7/4/2019 at 3:51 PM, Razzler1973 said:

Morning trains hh to Bangkok are difficult. Most leave very early. Check your times carefully!

If morning best take the Sombat tours bus!

They sell out at times so best to buy in advance.

• Like 1

Just to follow up... I took the Thon buri train from HH... more stops and runs a little slower.. Close to 5 hours.. 42 THB.  Had two benches to myself.. Ferry was right there, after a five minute walk through the hospital property.. took me home for 11 THB on an unflagged boat.. So, let's just call it one alternative, that happens to be cheap. Would take it over the van, but Sombat is probably better for  some.. you can pay for your ticket at 711 for 15 THB, otherwise you will have to get there early and you can count on the congestion around MO chit. 

Edited by moontang