Can you walk to Benchakiti Park through Suk Soi 10?

tfranz

Anybody staying in Sukhumvit Soi 10 and can tell me if you can walk from Sukhumvit to Benchakiti Park through Soi 10?

I think I remember somehow that the road is a dead end? Or is that only for cars?

Yes you can. There is a small wooden bridge you have to walk across. Carry on forward for a few metres and the gate to the park is on your left.

The first access gate before the bridge is partially closed to stop vehicles entering apart from specified hours, but is open for pedestrians.

After the bridge, look right. The path running alongside the khlong takes you all the way to Wireless road. You descend the steps a few metres from the gate to Lumpini park.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't stay on soi 10 but have done this walk before.  At the end of the soi, there is a chain link fence/gate that is normally chain locked.  There is enough room to walk through this to reach the park.

At the end of Soi 10 that running track/walkway thing to Lumpini Park is a lot more visible than it used to be in recent years. No real need to 'search' for it these days, once you get through that gate at the end of the soi the whole road behind there is a lot more open IIRC and the walkway is a lot more obvious.

I always enjoy a stroll from there to Lumpini or in reverse

That's great news.

Planning on going to Benchakiti Park for running and being able to cut through Soi 10 really helps.

Skywalk to Lumpini Park? I am trying to remember that. I have to check it out too.

Thanks a lot

Yes, you absolutely can walk down Soi 10 to and from Benjakiti Park. Toward the end of Soi 10, there's a guard gate and an old wooden somewhat rickety vehicle bridge that crosses a khlong. The guard gate closes to vehicles during certain hours, but is always open to pedestrians, certainly during the park's open hours.

Once you cross over the khlong bridge, the bicycle path to Lumpini park begins on your right side. But if you keep walking straight ahead past a small maintenance building on the left, it takes you into the park area and the long section of parking and sidewalk that runs along the north end of the park.

Google Maps doesn't seem to show the khlong or the bridge, but they're there.

447590144_2019-07-0416_42_47.jpg.9c6285aae9f6cacd1099204229aa1d0b.jpg

• Like 1

I've heard, there's some plan by the BMA to replace/rebuilt that bridge and made it a more substantial cars/vehicles access point. There's also the announced plan by the former massage king to build a big hotel/retail project up at the corner of Sukhumvit Rd. where Chuvit Garden Park used to be until it was closed in preparation for the supposed coming development.

If those things in fact come to pass, I'd suspect, Soi 10 is going to become a busier street in the future. 

15 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Google Maps doesn't seem to show the khlong or the bridge, but they're there.

Really?

https://goo.gl/maps/FvQJvWCZpXpk3S1A7

https://goo.gl/maps/scKGRhmyMCGyCPwWA

https://goo.gl/maps/dRqyN5vBiHFqDc4s8

https://goo.gl/maps/ENJoRxfQbwpaeYtA7

Edited by VocalNeal

I used to live on Soi 10 back in 1999.  It was a nice soi to be on as it was a somewhat dead end soi.  I believe the gate is closed to cars at 6:00pm.  Not sure what time it re-opens but it is quite early.  Even when the gate is closed it is still open to pedestrians.  

On 7/4/2019 at 4:35 PM, tfranz said:

That's great news.

Planning on going to Benchakiti Park for running and being able to cut through Soi 10 really helps.

Skywalk to Lumpini Park? I am trying to remember that. I have to check it out too.

Thanks a lot

Actually, the walk/bike way from Benjakitti Park to Lumpini Park makes it possible to combine 3 parks in one run, plus the 'skywalk' back and forth. Helps to break the monotony on longer runs:Just to do laps in Benjakitti Park can get a bit boring if you do it on a regular basis. 

4 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Actually, the walk/bike way from Benjakitti Park to Lumpini Park makes it possible to combine 3 parks in one run, plus the 'skywalk' back and forth. Helps to break the monotony on longer runs:Just to do laps in Benjakitti Park can get a bit boring if you do it on a regular basis. 

Plus, if you take the bike path between Soi 10 and Lumpini Park, you get the fun of hoofing (lifting) your bike up and down some goodly sets of stairs over overpasses at 3 or 4 points along the way... Just when you get some rhythm, it's time to get off and climb up and climb down the stairs with your bike.

On 7/5/2019 at 2:15 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Plus, if you take the bike path between Soi 10 and Lumpini Park, you get the fun of hoofing (lifting) your bike up and down some goodly sets of stairs over overpasses at 3 or 4 points along the way... Just when you get some rhythm, it's time to get off and climb up and climb down the stairs with your bike.

I'm pretty sure that walkway from Soi 10 to Lumpini has a 'bike rail' thingy down the centre of the stairs at those points, i.e. the thin rail to put your bike tire and 'walk your bike' up the stairs rather than 'hoofing' it up, if that's what you meant

8 minutes ago, Razzler1973 said:

I'm pretty sure that walkway from Soi 10 to Lumpini has a 'bike rail' thingy down the centre of the stairs at those points, i.e. the thin rail to put your bike tire and 'walk your bike' up the stairs rather than 'hoofing' it up, if that's what you meant

It does have a narrow smooth slope section inside the stairs section where you can roll the bike upward and downward while you walk up and down the adjoining stairs... That's still what's I'd call hoofing the bike up and down the stairs.

In other words, you can't actually ride up or down. You've got to push / pull / roll the bike up and down the stairs while you hoof up and down the stairs.

3 minutes ago, fhickson said:

used to live next to benjakiti park and always wondered why this beautiful park was always empty

Because its a really boring park to exercise in and for one reason or another the concrete or tarmac seems much harder than Lumpini Park which makes running less comfortable.

However i would rather have it than not have it.

• 1 month later...

Walking on that route to Lumphini connecting the two parks is convenient but the smell from the toxic water is awful and if the sun is out heating that cesspool that runs next to the path within minutes I start to feel sick . It could be so nice but is nasty and I see so many living on the banks of that toxic waterway on the other side of the path . Years of the tobacco plant dumping into that water has really spoiled what could be a nice place to walk connecting the two parks .
????

On 8/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, tfranz said:

A quick follow-up question:

There are contradicting opening hours about this park.

Some websites say 9pm and others 8pm.

Anybody been there after 8pm?

Has been 9 pm for a long time. Used to be 8pm,but they changed it ages ago. 

On 8/21/2019 at 2:14 AM, Lumbini said:

Walking on that route to Lumphini connecting the two parks is convenient but the smell from the toxic water is awful and if the sun is out heating that cesspool that runs next to the path within minutes I start to feel sick . It could be so nice but is nasty and I see so many living on the banks of that toxic waterway on the other side of the path . Years of the tobacco plant dumping into that water has really spoiled what could be a nice place to walk connecting the two parks .
????

The cesspool is only for a short distance, you are through the 'stink zone' in a minute or 2.

The cesspool is only for a short distance, you are through the 'stink zone' in a minute or 2.

No way 2 minutes and the stink even keeps going almost all the way to Lumphini park and does not stop until wireless as it runs right under the pavement with opening for the electric poles ..

15 hours ago, Lumbini said:

No way 2 minutes and the stink even keeps going almost all the way to Lumphini park and does not stop until wireless as it runs right under the pavement with opening for the electric poles ..

Could be that the combination of my chronic sinus infection plus the fact that I lived in Bkk for too long has made my sense of smell immune to all but the most fetid smells :But the first stretch is definitely so bad that it registers even with my impaired nostrils. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2019 at 6:59 AM, thecyclist said:

Could be that the combination of my chronic sinus infection plus the fact that I lived in Bkk for too long has made my sense of smell immune to all but the most fetid smells :But the first stretch is definitely so bad that it registers even with my impaired nostrils. 

You people should have seen it (or smelled it) back in the day when there was no elevated walkway.  You just ran or cycled right next to the klong!  It smelled bad back then too.  Once the elevated walkway was built it was so nice not being so close to the smelly klong.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

You people should have seen it (or smelled it) back in the day when there was no elevated walkway.  You just ran or cycled right next to the klong!  It smelled bad back then too.  Once the elevated walkway was built it was so nice not being so close to the smelly klong.  

Exactly, the first stretch is the non elevated section, right next to the stagnant black slime. After that it ain't so bad.