we were told TM30 not needed, by Immigration

3 hours ago, lust said:

The simple fact that it changes too often is just ridiculous. The database could be revised every month with each revision highlighted, just like apps do when they update.

That is why the sentence did not end where you ended it!

As ever it is an unholy buggers middle. I have been caught with conflicting advice from different "officers" at the CM office & my house owner was turned away recently after I had a trip to another province. So my advice is don't sweat, but stand your ground when you cross that invisible and ever changing red line. This is Thailand! 

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It changes too often and applied and interpreted in varying ways between various offices and even different guys in the same office. They also do not want us to know too mutt.

It  would not be that difficult to implement, just have the immigration system have document requirements for any application with a checklist and dates of the forms that it is dependency... So if you walk in for a 90 report, it would have a document checklist.  If they wanted TM30 for only foreign travel then as soon as you came in from abroad it would expire any current TM30, and when you report to immigration for extension or 90 report, it would have a checklist and would not allow those until the TM30 is checked off and associated with a date.  If it is required for domestic, you would have other TM30s expire all other TM30s etc.  Very basic workflow.  It is not just Thailand that can have different requirements, I have been confronted with the same thing from US ports of interest (Erie/Buffalo vs Windsor/Detroit - TN1 requirements).

When is the new immigration boss going to simplify all the rules to cut all the confusion, and get all I/Os to conform to the correct rules for all.

Immigration is a total shambles, He should be sorting all these problems, and leaving all the raids and photo shoots to his underlings.

Is that really too much to expect, even if this is Thailand.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Now extensions based on retirement are being hit up for the TM30.

And, in Korat, the wife and I just got hit up for a fresh TM30 at Immigration (even though there was no reason to have to do another one) as a prerequisite for being issued a COR for drivers license renewal. A notice/receipt for the fresh TM30 being done (by wife) was stapled in my passport on the page after where my TM47 filing receipt was stapled. Sigh. An outbreak of acute TM30-itis is upon us, it seems.

8 minutes ago, grumpy 4680 said:

When is the new immigration boss going to simplify all the rules to cut all the confusion, and get all I/Os to conform to the correct rules for all.

Immigration is a total shambles, He should be sorting all these problems, and leaving all the raids and photo shoots to his underlings.

Is that really too much to expect, even if this is Thailand.

I don’t think you understand the role of the “immigration boss”.

Simplification or standardised policy would have to be directed by the Immigration Commission and or the Minister of the Interior.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

The hotel do not report your departure, so you will be recorded as staying at that property until someone at the next address you stay at completes a new TM.30. 

When you return ‘home’ — by law and for the ‘tracking system’ to work — your wife should submit a new TM.30; however, many offices, like yours, do not enforce that.

Why do you say, do not report departure? The online TM30 I use has a departure date fill-in, and I am registered as a private home condo. It would make sense the hotel system does fill departure dates as well. Actually the whole system would work best if the departure date was mandatory in case of hotels. What makes you say it is not the case? After you use the online TM30 it should be very clear that there is no confusion between condos, houses and hotels. So hotel stays are impossible to confuse with somebody's residence. Except in a rare case if the residence was a hotel as well.

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

TM30 is only required for return to Thailand from abroad,

TM28 is for travel to outside the provence and return,but

it seems IO are not requiring them now.......until they ask for it ????

regards Worgeordie

Jomtien told me they didn't want TM30 when I come back even though I travel to UK to work

• Thanks 1

OK, it is obvious that we need to replace the TM-28, TM-30 and the TM-47 with one simple TM-105.  It gets filed online every 90 days unless interrupted by international travel or deportation.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

OK, it is obvious that we need to replace the TM-28, TM-30 and the TM-47 with one simple TM-105.  It gets filed online every 90 days unless interrupted by international travel or deportation.

That does not make any sense.

The Immigration form TM.105 is for 'Alien who wishes to ask permission to go shopping at a shopping mall which is more than 5km from their residence', not to be confused with Immigration form TM.150 'Permission for alien to be allowed to be seen in public'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

Why do you say, do not report departure? The online TM30 I use has a departure date fill-in, and I am registered as a private home condo.

I mean that a second report confirming you have departed is not made.

It would make sense the hotel system does fill departure dates as well. Actually the whole system would work best if the departure date was mandatory in case of hotels. What makes you say it is not the case?

I haven't seen the online TM.30, but the paper one has "expired date of stay" which is referring to the 'admitted until' date stamped in the passport, not the planned departure from that property.

It would make sense that the online system for hotels has a departure date, but unless you're reported as arriving at another property the system breaks down.

After you use the online TM30 it should be very clear that there is no confusion between condos, houses and hotels. So hotel stays are impossible to confuse with somebody's residence. Except in a rare case if the residence was a hotel as well.

There is no difference and I often use hotels as an example. If someone changed hotel every night immigration should receive a new TM.30 every day. If someone stays at a different private residence every night the same applies.

• Sad 1

regards Worgeordie

TM 30 is required in Chiang Rai even if we stay one night in town.. Every office seems to be different.????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

regards Worgeordie

No, there are some IOs where TM30s are required when you travel within Thailand, such as staying at a hotel that reports a TM30 for you that's not your home address... After that, to get your status back to your home address, you'd need to file a TM30 for your return home...  Depending, on the local policies of the Immigration office involved.

8 hours ago, mfd101 said:

In the 5 years I've lived in LOS (the last 4 continuously) I've never once filled out either a 30 or a 28. Never asked, never needed.

It all depends on the particular Immigration office you're dealing with, and how they do or don't enforce such matters.

I wonder what sort of reaction a person might get if they politely ask if it is okay to record being told they don't need to fill in a TM30.

Otherwise it's the old "he said, she said" and we can guess just who will be believed...

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It changes too often and applied and interpreted in varying ways between various offices and even different guys in the same office. They also do not want us to know too mutt.

From my point of view, the "at the discretion of the IO" seems to be the major issue

Should be one consistent application across the country of the regulations, each office the same rules, no confusion then.

8 hours ago, lust said:

Why isn’t there 1 database to put all their ridiculous requirements and rules on a website with both English and Thai translation? Brain dead country.

Why not create a thread here on TV. You could solicit the collective wisdom of the chosen people who generously share here on TV and compile that database. I'm sure it will be clear and concise and the effort will redefine the whole notion of brain dead.

Edited by Suradit69

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

From my point of view, the "at the discretion of the IO" seems to be the major issue

Should be one consistent application across the country of the regulations, each office the same rules, no confusion then.

Absolutely, uniform application across the country of laid down and clear regulations. 

But they found a more lucrative option. 

9 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I think the TM30 is the most confusing thing I have ever come across. 

It's not so much that it's confusing, different IOs and officers are just making up their own rules, and the reason for that is because they can.

When I come back from a holiday in the UK, there is no way I am traveling 55Ks in 24 hours to report to my local Immigration office.

Edited by possum1931
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It's not so much that it's confusing, different IOs and officers are just making up their own rules, and the reason for that is because they can.

When I come back from a holiday in the UK, there is no way I am traveling 55Ks in 24 hours to report to my local Immigration office.

A rebel, recalcitrant possum

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Is that a joke.... Next time you travel drop into local police station and see how that works for you. 

The police station is only for reporting if there is no IO in the province.

37 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It all depends on the particular Immigration office you're dealing with, and how they do or don't enforce such matters.

Early on in our experience with Kap Choeng office (say, 3 years ago), we asked - after one of our returns from BKK & while doing a 90-day report: Should we report to you here each time after we return from BKK or anywhere else outside Surin? They laughed & said: Why would you want to do that?

Never mentioned since.

3 hours ago, Guderian said:

...and don't forget TM29a, Form for Aliens to Notify of a Shopping Trip to a Nearby Supermarket, and TM29b, Form for Aliens to Notify if Going out for a Drink or a Meal to a Nearby Bar or Restaurant.

What if I wanted to go to Starbucks? ????

8 hours ago, lust said:

Why isn’t there 1 database to put all their ridiculous requirements and rules on a website with both English and Thai translation? Brain dead country.

You don't have to like it.... you just have to accept it !

34 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Oh! But This is Thailand.