Where can I get a hobby/work bench in Bangkok?

Airalee

I’m not sure what they call them here in Thailand but I’m sure they have to be available.  Something like this but on casters.  2’ x 4-5’   1 1/2”-2” thick butcher block.  Preferably high quality as I know too well...you get what you pay for.  Would even go custom but I’d rather check out the “off the rack” options first.   Thanks!

B0A5FE43-C7DA-4E96-8BDF-3284675F8029.jpeg

19 hours ago, CGW said:

If you take a closer look, you’ll see that Lazada really has nothing available. The only option they have is charging almost double (or more depending on the vendor) for the IKEA “RIMFORSA” work bench.  And said vendors are claiming 50% off the regular ฿59,599 price.

Here is the IKEA table.  Unfortunately, it’s not what I’m looking for and won’t suit my purposes.  Thanks for helping to locate something for me, however.

331B8927-EAAF-46B2-8E79-B74D71DC3E79.png

2 hours ago, moontang said:

Thanks for your continued help!  Much appreciated.  

I just found something that will work and was going to post the details/link here in case anybody else is searching in the future....

http://www.kvbglobal.com/โต๊ะช่าง/

Yep, Tanko is what I was I was thinking of... Taiyo is a great safe company.  Tanko had come to my attention while looking for a sturdy desk... they seem to be a little close to the vest on pricing, though. 

1 hour ago, moontang said:

Yep, Tanko is what I was I was thinking of... Taiyo is a great safe company.  Tanko had come to my attention while looking for a sturdy desk... they seem to be a little close to the vest on pricing, though. 

Yes...they certainly don’t come cheap.  The heavy duty model (with no drawers and wood top) is about 33k and the standard model is 22k delivered.  Add 50% for the unit with 3 drawers across the top.

Buy once cry once eh? 

27 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Build your own ? Easy project and you get what you want a lot cheaper.

Loads of videos on YouTube with varying ideas to guide you.

I considered that, and already had a Thai friend look into it.  She was the one who found the Tanko for me.  The headaches I would have to deal with wouldn’t be worth the hassle to save a few hundred dollars.

18 minutes ago, Airalee said:

I considered that, and already had a Thai friend look into it.  She was the one who found the Tanko for me.  The headaches I would have to deal with wouldn’t be worth the hassle to save a few hundred dollars.

It isn't a case of saving money, you probably won't do that, but the bench you show is child's play to make or get made. Any competent welder will make the frame probable cost under 3,000 good quality locking casters about 1,200 a single sheet of 20mm rubber wood 1440 x 2440 plus 500ml of PGA glue will give you a 710mm x 115mm x 80mm top for about 2,200. Plus a hundred or so screws to hold the bench top together while the glue is setting. A bigger or thicker top will need a second sheet of rubber wood.

So a bench that you could not buy for for a total of under 7,000 Baht.  And as long as you specify 2.5 mm wall thickness steel. It could probably withstand a elephant on 1 leg standing on it.

26 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

It isn't a case of saving money, you probably won't do that, but the bench you show is child's play to make or get made. Any competent welder will make the frame probable cost under 3,000 good quality locking casters about 1,200 a single sheet of 20mm rubber wood 1440 x 2440 plus 500ml of PGA glue will give you a 710mm x 115mm x 80mm top for about 2,200. Plus a hundred or so screws to hold the bench top together while the glue is setting. A bigger or thicker top will need a second sheet of rubber wood.

So a bench that you could not buy for for a total of under 7,000 Baht.  And as long as you specify 2.5 mm wall thickness steel. It could probably withstand a elephant on 1 leg standing on it.

Understood.  But then I would have to find a competent welder, etc.  It’s not that it can’t be made easily by a competent person...finding that competent person is easier said than done.

I’m happy with what I bought and think it will be sufficient for my purposes.  Thankfully, that doesn’t include anything as heavy as an elephant.

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Understood.  But then I would have to find a competent welder, etc.  It’s not that it can’t be made easily by a competent person...finding that competent person is easier said than done.

With welders, it's quite easy to find competent ones, many of them with years of overseas experience as well. So far we haven't had someone who wasn't OK or good.

9 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

With welders, it's quite easy to find competent ones, many of them with years of overseas experience as well. So far we haven't had someone who wasn't OK or good.

Judging from your screen name, and your excellent DIY response, I’m willing to bet you have 1000 times more experience with me regarding tools, qualified tradesmen etc.  I wouldn’t even know where to start.  I’m just a rookie who took up leatherworking as a hobby recently.  Thanks for the help regardless.  I’ll bet you have a pretty sweet wordworking setup.

4 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I rather like it though it's a work in progress, the workbench is one I made about 14 years agoE6044910.jpg.6c513859f2e64e394e68a315d4055d95.jpgE6034907.jpg.21552453c62eb0734a84eb5e1fd4ca78.jpg

Nice!  My setup will look much different and be far more compact being that I’m shoehorning it into a 36sqm condo.  

23 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Well your condo will fit into my workshop 2.6 times, so I would think it will be smaller.

STWW, our HOUSE will fit in your play-room. Enjoy your wonderful space ????

On 7/9/2019 at 6:53 AM, sometimewoodworker said:

You forgot to mention the price of 6,900 Baht, I second the recommendation, they are good people who make excellent products.

Do they make furniture also?

In spite of searching for several years I have been unable to find someone who can make a simple wardrobe/cupboard and a separate sideboard/TV unit out of rubberwood or even MDF for my condo. All I have been quoted is hollow laminate for 16-18,000B/linear metre.

I would happily pay extra for transport from Bangkok to Jomtien for something decent at a sensible price.

54 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

All I have been quoted is hollow laminate for 16-18,000B/linear metre.

We're not paying that for solid (recycled) teak! OK, not fitted but made to the size we wanted if the stock size didn't fit. Glass fronted teak "sideboard" 2m long was 15k IIRC. 

Have a look at your local teak furniture place, they are often better priced than you would imagine.

I will say we have spent a lot of dosh with our local man so we do get a decent price. The owner also gets a LOT of respect from me. He's disabled (polio I think) and zooms around on a tea-tray with castors. His disability does not affect his running of the business (or his work on the furniture). I (and Madam) would not go anywhere else.

EDIT Our man is here 14.055523407037482, 100.55169287875998

53 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

Do they make furniture also?

In spite of searching for several years I have been unable to find someone who can make a simple wardrobe/cupboard and a separate sideboard/TV unit out of rubberwood or even MDF for my condo. All I have been quoted is hollow laminate for 16-18,000B/linear metre.

I would happily pay extra for transport from Bangkok to Jomtien for something decent at a sensible price.

Unfortunately no they are primarily a tool supplier and maker. 

I too looked and there is nobody I know of who does that, this was one of the primary reasons that I am building things myself. 

This is the current work in progress, I needed to get some more AA grade rubber wood for the missing door, but will probably finish it in the next week or so.IMG_7556.thumb.JPG.ebb02606cdf5f82f36dd4de4aa69759b.JPG

having seen Crossy's post it reminded me that you may be able to get someone in wood street to do a custom build for you.

Archived