Strange Incident Last Night at Soi Cowboy

Eleutherios

3 hours ago, Eleutherios said:

You would not.  I am just wondering if there is typically CCTV in bars and on Soi Cowboy near Asoke that the bar could access if they really decide to "track me down".   That is why I asked.  

You are appearently scared that they will find you. Yes, that can happen. You did something wrong. Why don´t you stand up for it, and go back, say sorry and pay what you owe.

That´s what a man do, and it doesn´t matter if you don´t agree. The only thing that will accomplish is 2 x wrong!

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ratcatcher said:

Since you have PR, you can speak some Thai, thus apologize in Thai and hand the manager/mama san the money you owe and buy a round of drinks for all.  You have lost face. By going back and manning up, you will possibly regain some. If the BG is there, speak to her and say you misunderstood the situation. By doing this, IMHO, you can then walk the soi with confidence, not having to worry about who's behind you.. Word gets around quickly in those areas.

IMHO if the op goes back to pay the bill, he should do it as quickly as possible and get out. Any attempt to appease the bar staff would be viewed as weakness and he may find himself in a far worse situation and literally lose face.

No need to be looking over your should every 5 minutes,with all the facial recognition they have access to I would be looking every 5 seconds.How does one enjoy there stay in Thailand whilst looking over their shoulder?Living here you might be but you might also be dying here,and for what?Is it really that important to you?Looks like he doesn't have very good survival skills.After a week when your just beginning to relax and forget about the "incident" BAMMM!

4 hours ago, Eleutherios said:

Not looking for sympathy, and appreciate, but not sure if I agree with your views.  I  On a more practical level, how will they track me down?

You broke Thai law.How hard do you think it is for the police to track you down?Who do you think gets kick backs from the bars in central Bangkok?Who do think you report your whereabouts to?That's right the very people you are ripping off.Do you really think the only thing you did was not pay for the drinks?I think you can probably kiss you precious PR status goodbye.I think you may have nominated yourself for this weeks Darwin award.I would wish you luck if you didn't sound so self righteous. 

I think most posters on this thread would disagree with your method. he doesn't have to appease tha bar staff, just the manager/ mama san, It is they who will decide if he has lost face or is about to. A little humility sometimes works wonders. 

5 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I think most posters on this thread would disagree with your method. he doesn't have to appease tha bar staff, just the manager/ mama san, It is they who will decide if he has lost face or is about to. A little humility sometimes works wonders. 

Funny, I always thought it a Double Diamond that workers wonders:

28 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

i could agree with that if it were a restaurant maybe. The bar scene is different. You dont know who is drugged up etc. On reflection, if I was him, I'd ask them to bring the bill to the entrance. Why take the risk?

Just now, bluesofa said:

Ah, time-share Thai style.

Happen to me once at a well known street in Patt's full of drinking bars .. Fit girl was giving it all the talk to win a few drinks outta me then gets a tap on the shoulder off one of the other girls .. She then goes to the other side of the bar to talk to another dude whose appeared before returning to where I'm sat to say " you wait 15 minute OK " before going back to this other geeza' the two of them then saunter in the general direction of some S/T rooms in the same street .. Needless to say my gob was smacked and in my experience a Thai girl's 15 mins usually means 45 at least and I wasn't falling for that little chestnut .. 

3 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Happen to me once at a well known street in Patt's full of drinking bars .. Fit girl was giving it all the talk to win a few drinks outta me then gets a tap on the shoulder off one of the other girls .. She then goes to the other side of the bar to talk to another dude whose appeared before returning to where I'm sat to say " you wait 15 minute OK " before going back to this other geeza' the two of them then saunter in the general direction of some S/T rooms in the same street .. Needless to say my gob was smacked and in my experience a Thai girl's 15 mins usually means 45 at least and I wasn't falling for that little chestnut .. 

'chestnut'? chest nut? Is that a euphemism for a katoey?

3 hours ago, Eleutherios said:

OK, really appreciated that you can see where I am coming from.  I don't think its black and white, but I appreciate everyone's practical comments about avoiding Soi Cowboy for awhile.

I was pissed off.  I think it was neeray (did I get that name right?) who said it was/may have been a scam from the out set.  That is how I felt.  

If it was, and the bar girl ended paying, how am in the wrong?  Shouldn't the person (the BG) responsible for the scam have to bear the costs of the scam?  

It is black and white: you had drinks and didn't pay for them, this makes you a thief.

5 hours ago, Eleutherios said:

I live here, but point taken about avoiding Soi Cowboy.

I would avoid any entertainment zones in Thailand,I don't think you understand the global nature of the Bar Girl network,even before the digital age it was a global phenomenon.If they happen to have your photo you can bet your balls(you might even be doing this literally) it'll be doing the rounds.Treat with disdain the vast wealth of intimate experience here on this forum if you like,for if you heed not the sound advice of go back and pay up what you stole,then many will smile if ever you make the starring roll in a Thaivisa news headline.

Rest assured they will not care one bit if you thought you were being scammed or any other thoughts you might have.Enjoy your thoughts while you can still  have them thief. 

6 hours ago, Eleutherios said:

I flashed the card because I was drunk.  Dumb move.  PR status is reflected in a booklet, but they will also give you a pink card (I think you can also get one with a business visa).  So the pink card could reflect I have PR status or a one year visa (not sure).

So, you think she will cover the bill?  She complained, but it didn't turn into an ugly scene.  Maybe she realized she was in the wrong?  Not sure.  No problems when I simply announced I was walking out of the bar and did so, but they seemed surprised and caught off guard, like they were expecting a bigger fuss.

So good to know there was no prostitution.

32 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

'chestnut'? chest nut? Is that a euphemism for a katoey?

Kate Hoe .? Isn't she a TV journalist .. Wait till this gets out " Kate Hoe seen entering SinCity sh*g rooms " .. 

Edit .. I've just realised Kate Hoey is an M P which is even worse .. 

Just when I thought i’d heard everything...a guy walks out on his bar tab because he was rejected by a hooker.  Thankfully he didn’t do anything more drastic!

The consensus is that he should return and pay the bar, but does he have the courage?

P.S. 7 PM tonight would be a good time.

Obviously not paying bar tab is WRONG and you are asking for trouble. Telling her to keep the BF is totally up to you, personally, I'd have taken it back. BTW you don't pay BF if meeting after she finishes work but she would get into trouble for that if the bar found out.

1 hour ago, camble said:

Just when I thought i’d heard everything...a guy walks out on his bar tab because he was rejected by a hooker.  Thankfully he didn’t do anything more drastic!

The consensus is that he should return and pay the bar, but does he have the courage?

P.S. 7 PM tonight would be a good time.

By the way he was trying to weasel out of admitting he was in the wrong I would say no.

Does he have stupidity not to repay?From what I have read so far I would put my money on yes.

28 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

has the Op left a comment on the other topic "Why do farangs leave their brains at the airport" yet?   

i think his input is needed.

Made me choke on my cashew nuts.Thanks for the info now I know where to look for mine!Thought I might have left 'em under the seat on the plane!

if you pay the bar fine in advance and plan to sit awhile, it is a good idea to have a bill for the bar fine amount placed in your drink bin.  don't hand over cash to pay it when doing in advance.  i assume cash was paid in advance in this case.  it is not uncommon to pay a bar fine early and spend some time in the bar (i don't get all the comments that say only pay the bar fine when you leave).

when the bar fine is just another bill in your bin, and the girl changes her mind, it is very easy to pull out the bar fine bill and hand it back to the mamasan.  then you can pay the drink bill and move on.  it is more difficult to get the cash paid in advance back.  it shouldn't be but it is.

Interesting how all these Thai pandering foreigners suggest the OP goes back, grovels and pays, after he was the victim of the attempted scam ! OP should just not frequent the area and the city is pretty lawless so he could be under threat.... but for 1500 baht ? Says everything about the place !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If I was op I would drop everything, head over to the bar, pay my tab, and maybe buy a round for a few people who I inconvenienced. Then enjoy my peace of mind knowing i did the right thing and i do not have to worry about being tracked down or recognized. 

14 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

What is the “bar fine” the girl has to pay at the beginning ? I thought a fine was for when the hooker leaves the bar with a “customer “ and so not working

Hooker , not  appropriate ,  lady bar,  better more.

15 hours ago, Eleutherios said:

I flashed the card because I was drunk.  Dumb move.  PR status is reflected in a booklet, but they will also give you a pink card (I think you can also get one with a business visa).  So the pink card could reflect I have PR status or a one year visa (not sure).

So, you think she will cover the bill?  She complained, but it didn't turn into an ugly scene.  Maybe she realized she was in the wrong?  Not sure.  No problems when I simply announced I was walking out of the bar and did so, but they seemed surprised and caught off guard, like they were expecting a bigger fuss.

Do not go back to that bar and you problem is solved, if they didn't chase you down the street should be done. Just do not go back nosey around or you maybe paying the fine. I will be honest for someone on PR status you sound like a nubby. I had a similar thing happen several years back and the girl has dumb struck when I told her give me back the bar fine. She tried to set with me later on when I was back in town and just told her to beat it.

10 hours ago, wreckingcountry said:

Interesting how all these Thai pandering foreigners suggest the OP goes back, grovels and pays, after he was the victim of the attempted scam ! OP should just not frequent the area and the city is pretty lawless so he could be under threat.... but for 1500 baht ? Says everything about the place !

Why didn't you tell us you were there?What were you doing at that bar that night?What was the victim of the scam wearing that night?Did you take one of the girls home with you?How interesting you never mentioned all this before.

Archived