Carbonated soda water in Thailand.

With the main brands, e.g. Chang, Singha, Rock, Leo etc, what is your choice, and why? I'm interested in good mineral content (if any) and taste, NOT price. For example, I can't tell the difference between Chang and Singha - I've drank my way through alternative trays of 24 bottles over months and not noticed any difference. For an unknown reason when I tried Rock as a change, I didn't like its taste. Never tried Leo.

Over to you guys...

8 minutes ago, fishtank said:

It is not about beer.

It is about soda water.

Yes, the beer producers also produce carbonated soda water under their brand name. It is interesting to note that people prefer different thai beers, but my question is related to the sodas, and if they taste different, and peoples' preferences - and possibly health benefits from a better mineral content.. 

1 hour ago, stephenterry said:

what is your choice, and why?

All I drink is soda water, so much so the girls in the local bars call me "Soda" when I walk in.

I drink Singha soda water and can't really tell the different between the others, plus Singha is very common. 

take it from me the most interesting man in the world.

Captgfhkure.JPG

49 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

so the girls in the local bars call me "Soda" when I walk in.

As long as they don't call you 'soda jerk' when you walk out - - you are doing ok... 

Not sure there is any difference in taste... 

yours truly, 

With a twist of Lime [sai manao] 

3 minutes ago, Jip99 said:
31 minutes ago, atyclb said:

what thailand needs are 1 litre or larger plastic bottles of soda water. little bottles heavy and inconvenient.

You can get 500 ml bottles by the crate.

plastic ??   have never seen at big c or other retail stores.   makro??

23 minutes ago, Jan Dietz said:

The main reason all beer companies sell soda water is so they can advertise. It's all the same overcarbonated tap water.

If you're looking for mineral content get some Perrier.

Perrier is carbonated water not carbonated soda water. Quite different.

Back in the UK I used to drink large amounts of carbonated water which could be purchased for around 7 baht for a 2 litre bottle. Never seen any locally produced carbonated water in Thailand. Perrier is great but too expensive in Thailand to make it my go to drink.

44 minutes ago, atyclb said:

what thailand needs are 1 litre or larger plastic bottles of soda water. little bottles heavy and inconvenient.

Sparkling mineral water in larger plastic bottles is here, but only imported varieties at the farang-oriented markets like Villa, Gourmet Market and Central Markets -- 1 liter, 1.5 liter and even 2 liter bottles typically brands from the UK (Waitrose or Harrowgate) or Spain (Alteza) or Germany (Gerolsteiner).  And often, can be sold out because they either can't or won't order enough to meet the demand.

I'm not exactly sanguine about mass produced Thai bottled water, even the carbonated kind. But I think I checked once about one of the major brands, Chang or Singha, and found the largest size carbonated water they make/sell is something like 600 or 800 ml glass bottles in size aimed at the bar/pub markets.

Apparently, they don't see it as an actual drink, but instead, only as a mixer for their booze. 

They all taste okay to me, but normally when I drink soda water it's diluted with whiskey or vodka. Villa Market normally sells imported Schweppes Soda Water. I just checked online and they list it on their website, six 330ml cans for 87 Baht.

Just now, wgdanson said:
21 hours ago, atyclb said:

these big plastic bottles of soda akin to large coke bottles are everywhere in sri lanka

Screen Shot 2019-07-07 at 16.36.55.png

A bit too far to go for a mixer!

meaning whn in sri lanka always had 1 or 2 in hotel fridge. great after a surf

I can't tell of any difference whatsoever between Chang, Leo, Singh, and Rock. I've only seen Thais drink Singh (my experience) so I guess that is meant to be better, but I just pick whichever is best positioned on the shelf or in the fridge.

@petemoss

Soda water is simply tap water with CO2 dissolved in it.

Think back to the old days of soda siphons, for your whiskey and soda. you filled them up with tap water and added CO2 using a Sparklets gas canister.

????

I've been drinking the imported S.Pellegrino and Gerolsteiner for the last few months which can be found at Tops/Villa Market even Big C. If you're on a budget, it's not the best option, but as with anything, if want quality you have to pay a premium.

I usually buy about 6x 1.-1.5L bottles a week, so it's not all I drink, I get a few crates of still water from Singah delivered every week or so.

Prefer Rocks mineral soda water – can unfortunately not afford Perrier and Pellegrino, and like imported brands – when adding a slice of lemon I might not even be able to notice any difference...????

2 hours ago, Tapster said:

@petemoss

Soda water is simply tap water with CO2 dissolved in it.

Think back to the old days of soda siphons, for your whiskey and soda. you filled them up with tap water and added CO2 using a Sparklets gas canister.

????

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/the-difference-between-club-soda-seltzer-and-sparkling-1787683786

Club Soda: Club soda is plain water with added minerals and dissolved solids, usually sodium bicarbonate, sodium citrate, disodium phosphate, and—less commonly—plain ol’ sodium chloride.

Club soda in the UK is often referred to as soda water. Carbonated water is sometimes refered to as sparkling water. Confusing, I know.

Archived