Carbonated soda water in Thailand.

I drink the Singha brand. 600 ml bottles Baht 135 a case after the case deposit (400 baht refundable) has been paid. I have always found bigger bottles (Soda, Cola etc.,) take up more room in the fridge and tend to go flat surprisingly quickly once opened. On occasions I buy a case of the smaller bottles if they are on special offer (and better value) at a supermarket.

On 7/7/2019 at 3:37 PM, Jan Dietz said:

The main reason all beer companies sell soda water is so they can advertise. It's all the same overcarbonated tap water.

If you're looking for mineral content get some Perrier.

Um, I don't think so. The main reason is the beer brewing process gives off a lot of carbon dioxide gas as a waste product. Carbon dioxide is naturally present in the atmosphere in low quantities. Only a few things you can do economically with the excess carbon dioxide: make dry ice, and soda water. (Grow room is also good :biggrin: ) Soda water is a natural fit. These companies are simply re-purposing and capturing a waste stream.

1 minute ago, NotYourBusiness said:

Um, I don't think so. The main reason is the beer brewing process gives off a lot of carbon dioxide gas as a waste product. Carbon dioxide is naturally present in the atmosphere in low quantities. Only a few things you can do economically with the excess carbon dioxide: make dry ice, and soda water. (Grow room is also good :biggrin: ) Soda water is a natural fit. These companies are simply re-purposing and capturing a waste stream.

For Thailand, the main reason is indeed to get around advertising laws.

You will notice any ads you see for Chang or Singah or Leo is for their water products.

2 hours ago, GordonP said:

I drink the Singha brand. 600 ml bottles Baht 135 a case after the case deposit (400 baht refundable) has been paid. I have always found bigger bottles (Soda, Cola etc.,) take up more room in the fridge and tend to go flat surprisingly quickly once opened. On occasions I buy a case of the smaller bottles if they are on special offer (and better value) at a supermarket.

those bottles are 400ml (240ml for the single use bottles), I'm paying 130 a crate and only had to fork out 200 for a deposit, as for differences between  them all, negligible imo

Hi there,

first of all i think it is carbonated water or soda. Can't be both ;-).

And to answer your question:

I also choose Singha. Same as you i don't like the taste of Rock. But this y i tried Chang for the first time because it was alot cheaper that moment (I drink at least 3 botlles/day and i could save 22bht/24 pack) then Singha and that was also very good.

But i miss big bottles of 1 liter or so. Can only find them with expensive water as Perrier or San Pellegrino. And for me that isn't worth the price (around 70bht/liter). And i'm pretty sure they can't compete with the other 2 brands.

The carbonated sodas I am referring to are mostly the brands that also sell beer, e.g. Chiang, Singha, Leo, and maybe Roc.

In England we'd refer to them as (carbonated) soda water, and in America they're known as club soda. 

As for the sparkling water, and sparkling mineral water such as Perrier, that's a different product, in UK terms. What I'm aiming to find out, is whether the 'Beer' brand sodas sold here in Thailand, differ in taste and content? 

One poster determined that Singha had smaller bubbles than Roc, and was preferred. On the assumption that the water (and additives) used in making Thai beer differs from brand to brand, and affecting the taste, it is possible that the sodas have different tastes also.

That is what I'm aiming to determine. So move the Perriers etc into a different topic - that is also interesting to find what posters prefer.

Hope that helps.

I'm sure if Chang or Leo bought out a 1 lt or 1.25 lt plastic bottle of soda water it would be a new niche market.. With no competition.. 

Slightly off the subject, if you have an opened bottle of soda or beer, you can keep the gases in the bottle for up to 12 hrs with soda, and 24 hrs with beer, by placing an inverted metal spoon in the neck of the bottle and back in the fridge. Doesn't go flat and keeps the gases in. My GF thought I was crazy but now realises it does REALLY work.. Try it.. It does work.. 

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:37 PM, Jan Dietz said:

The main reason all beer companies sell soda water is so they can advertise. It's all the same overcarbonated tap water.

Couldn't agree more - if you can find it! 

On 7/7/2019 at 3:37 PM, Jan Dietz said:

Jan, I'm not disputing your claim, but do you have facts  - e.g. a visit to a Thai brewery - to support the claim that it is over carbonated tap water. 

And if you did, what was the geographical source of the tap water?  I ask this question because the various beers (including additives) taste different to one another. It would seem feasible that different (tap) waters from different areas could be used to make their brand of soda water. 

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

Mont Fleur, San Beneditto and Voss. Mont Fleur is Thai, comes in 1/2l glass bottles. San Beneditto is sometimes hard to find. Italian. And finally Voss, Norwegian. They have both still and sparkling, both having far less gas than ones OP is describing in opening post. And these 3 are actually mineral waters, not tap water with gas.

There's also Schweppes soda water in black can if I remember correctly, but that's not mineral water.

Obviously more famous ones are Perrier, San Pellegrino, etc.

The imported mineral waters, such as the Waitrose and Harrowgate and Gerolsteiner versions I mentioned above, typically have content labels on them that list their mineral content.

The local Thai soda waters have no content labeling whatsoever either in TH or EN, as best as I recall.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:33 PM, tomazbodner said:

Probably because there isn't any. Contents: Filtered tap water: 99%. CO2: 1%. There you go ????

You have proof of this assertion? Like visiting a Thai brewery to find out? Or is it just 'probably'?

Mind you, I wouldn't expect Thai soda water, at the cost they sell at, to be overflowing with minerals - all I'm asking is do any of the brands taste different - or are they all the same?

24 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

You have proof of this assertion? Like visiting a Thai brewery to find out? Or is it just 'probably'?

Mind you, I wouldn't expect Thai soda water, at the cost they sell at, to be overflowing with minerals - all I'm asking is do any of the brands taste different - or are they all the same?

They don't taste the same. You can tell by letting the water go flat and then tasting the water. In addition, you might find than some go flat quicker than others.

I tend to mix soda water with grape juice, rather than drinking it on it's own. The other important thing is the pH value of the water.

The water I drink in the U.K is actually French, has a pH value of 6.6 and is naturally carbonated. So a smooth and neutral taste, good for mixing with juice.

Girlfriend buys Ashbeck sparkling mineral water from Tesco with a pH value of 6.2. Barely acceptable to me.

When I visit my mum, she has Saskia sparkling mineral water from LIDL, with a pH value of 5.5. I really don't like it. Brings a acidic feel to my mixes. Girlfriend likes it as she like to eat lemons. ????

So perhaps test the waters with pH paper.

Archived