O-A visa 2005

2 minutes ago, fishtank said:

They will also accept any other insurance providing it covers the minimum requirements.

You mean for an O-X application? 

As of now it is not required for any other type so how can anything be acceptable. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, fishtank said:

I mean for the O-A Visa when and if it is ever a requirement.

Aha.

Yeah, I think @marcusarelus got my point.

He wanted to construct a plan to see how the future looks like.

For that he needs to take into account that this is a 3rd world country, with ever changing Immigration laws, where people say one thing today in the media and do another tomorrow.

Believing that they will accept foreign insurance for non O-A if that would be required, as long as it meets the minimums, is wishful thinking.

One can always hope, but cannot construct a solid plan.

Edited by lkv

My agent gave me 6 companies for O-A/Long term Visa comparison, Thaiviviat, AXA, Pacific cross, Thai Health, Aetna, Lmg.  In addition to that I also have two other insurance carriers.  Who (what entity) is likely to decide which of those meets all the requirements.  My agent says they all do - is he correct?

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:22 PM, marcusarelus said:

I arrived on an O-A visa in 2005.  I have been getting retirement extensions every year after that.  Am I still on an O-A visa?  

During that 14 years you'll have renewed your passport. Did you not look as to check the stamps moved into your new passport?

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

What requirements? Insurance is not required on O-A. 

I've explained a number of times that I want to get insurance before I'm too old in case Immigration will require insurance in the future.  Many companies have a cut off date of 60, 70, 75 years of age.  

19 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

During that 14 years you'll have renewed your passport. Did you not look as to check the stamps moved into your new passport?

There are about 30 posts about that issue.  If one is under a retirement extension or an O-A visa retirement extension.  Seems the most authoritative posters have said the O-A runs out after 1 or 2 years and you are not on an O-A anymore but an extension which is separate from an O-A.  If I'm reading it correctly.  You can go back and look if you have an interest.  

Edited by marcusarelus

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I've explained a number of times that I want to get insurance before I'm too old in case Immigration will require insurance in the future.  Many companies have a cut off date of 60, 70, 75 years of age.  

Well I just picked up domestic insurance and they will take on new applications to 75 yo, (above 65 requiring medical exam). They still bump up the premium as you age of course. Max age is 90! 

Last week Ubon Immigration said that the Insurance is not required to Stay Permit Extensions for Retirement.

My uninterrupted Extensions started in 1998 at the end of a 3-month Non-Imm O visa issued in Penang in November 1997 with entry in Thailand on 14 November 1997.

Edited by jayceenik

1 hour ago, jayceenik said:

Last week Ubon Immigration said that the Insurance is not required to Stay Permit Extensions for Retirement.

My uninterrupted Extensions started in 1998 at the end of a 3-month Non-Imm O visa issued in Penang in November 1997 with entry in Thailand on 14 November 1997.

I understand that.  If you had read the thread before commenting you would know that one might get too old to get insurance when Immigration starts requiring insurance for retirement extensions.  Many older expats are getting insurance now because in a few years they will not be able to.  

2 hours ago, jayceenik said:

I doubt if any Immigration Office would say, at this time, that health insurance would be necessary for a a retirement extension. The latest (and only?) official information is that Immigration HQ (along with Ministry of Public Health & Ministry of Foreign Affairs) are supposedly working out the details before formally implementing the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa health insurance requirement. Until such time as Immigration HQ provides instructions to their Immigration Offices to impose such a requirement, it is business as usual. Also, it is possible the may not issue any instructions if Immigration HQ decides that the requirement will not apply to extensions of stay based on initial entry with a Non-Immigrant O-A Visa.  

Since the announcement said the Cabinet had approved the requirement of Non-Immigrant O-A Visas, it is doubtful that even if imposed on extensions of stay, that it will also include those based on a Non-Immigrant O Visa rather than the O-A.

6 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

My agent gave me 6 companies for O-A/Long term Visa comparison, Thaiviviat, AXA, Pacific cross, Thai Health, Aetna, Lmg.  In addition to that I also have two other insurance carriers.  Who (what entity) is likely to decide which of those meets all the requirements.  My agent says they all do - is he correct?

How can they meet the requirement if there is no requirement?

Is your agent making projections like you and me of what will happen in the future? Because that's what we are doing.

So how can he be correct, or how can I be correct?

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1