Why?

7 hours ago, watso63 said:

Happy to see you integrating into Thai society and embracing the culture. Give yourself a pat on the back for making the effort.

The important thing is to always remain ironic or?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must be spectacularly lucky, because I’ve never had any noise problems in any of the dozens of hotels and apartments I’ve stayed at in Thailand, and the condo I now own in Jomtien is wonderfully quiet. It’s one of the things I love about Thailand.

In contrast, there’s continuous noise in my Australian apartment. If I’m lucky enough not to have a neighbour playing loud music, during the daytime there’s almost always some piece of noisy machinery in use somewhere nearby, whether a leaf blower, chain saw, angle grinder, hedge trimmer, or that ancient feature of the Australian landscape, the lawn mower. In addition, those infernal reversing beeps are everywhere. It’s so lovely to stroll down to the beach from my Thai condo and watch someone using a rake or broom to clean up fallen leaves instead of a leaf blower.

During periods when I do have neighbours playing loud music in my Australian place, I just change my behaviour. For instance, I might play a computer game instead of trying to read. When I had a neighbour playing action movies every night till 1am with his sub woofer cranked up, I changed my sleep times, being retired I could do that.

So, I suppose it’s no comfort to the OP if the noise is late at night and preventing sleep, but if it’s during the day, can you do some other activity where background noise doesn’t matter as much.

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

I must be spectacularly lucky, because I’ve never had any noise problems in any of the dozens of hotels and apartments I’ve stayed at in Thailand, and the condo I now own in Jomtien is wonderfully quiet. It’s one of the things I love about Thailand.

In contrast, there’s continuous noise in my Australian apartment. If I’m lucky enough not to have a neighbour playing loud music, during the daytime there’s almost always some piece of noisy machinery in use somewhere nearby, whether a leaf blower, chain saw, angle grinder, hedge trimmer, or that ancient feature of the Australian landscape, the lawn mower. In addition, those infernal reversing beeps are everywhere. It’s so lovely to stroll down to the beach from my Thai condo and watch someone using a rake or broom to clean up fallen leaves instead of a leaf blower.

During periods when I do have neighbours playing loud music in my Australian place, I just change my behaviour. For instance, I might play a computer game instead of trying to read. When I had a neighbour playing action movies every night till 1am with his sub woofer cranked up, I changed my sleep times, being retired I could do that.

So, I suppose it’s no comfort to the OP if the noise is late at night and preventing sleep, but if it’s during the day, can you do some other activity where background noise doesn’t matter as much.

Background noise? You really haven’t a clue have you?

No disrespects but you live in Jontiem not Thailand.

My wife told me that they stopped  these unsocial activities in Samui and other tourist areas to safeguard the tourist industry.

So much for culture and customs. The mighty baht usurps all else.

I’m assuming you didn’t do any research on the customs and rituals that are common place here before you relocated ! Maybe a place out in the sticks would be more suited for you.....ie well away from the indigenous population.

Boots wax earplugs are best, mould them right into your ears. Silicone is not as good as it breaks up too easy. Double glazing would help but it's expensive here and what is the chance of getting it installed right. We had to ask the bloke opposite to turn the music down every night- he had the speakers outside! He took them in surprisingly but of course has never spoken to us since

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 8:41 AM, essox essox said:

these do NOT work well.....have tried many times can still hear the noise which one is trying to erradicate

I use beats wireless headphones when they turn up the bass and it's driving you crazy, they are expensive but you can listen to your own music and it drowns out whatever next door is blasting out.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:41 AM, essox essox said:

these do NOT work well.....have tried many times can still hear the noise which one is trying to erradicate

Boots sell wax ear plugs absolutely brilliant, someone could throw a bomb in you bedroom still wouldn’t hear it.

35 minutes ago, Caine said:

Boots sell wax ear plugs absolutely brilliant, someone could throw a bomb in you bedroom still wouldn’t hear it.

And what do you do during the day? Want to listen to some music, watch a movie ....

Thais must be the most selfish and inconsiderate people on the planet.

and rude.

i just came back from Singapore, to be greeted by rude thai people. they must have a decree in being rude.

it was a delight to spend a few days in Singapore with normal polite intelligent people with positive attitudes.

Archived