Why?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, fishtank said:

People seem to kick the bucket regularly where I live.

I think they have some kind of rota system.

Cheer up.

Eventually they'll run out of bodies.

2 hours ago, guru said:

The 5 day noisy funeral party, gambling and chanting monks can happen at the family home of the deceased which may be nowhere near a temple.

You are right but are not seeing the funny side.

6 hours ago, transam said:

How can they be selfish and inconsiderate if the Thai population all do it.....????

Do you need to be reminded you are not in your own country, though I suspect Muslim countries may give you an early morning call......

I understand what you are saying Trans, but forget us for a moment, what about babies and small children, what sort of harm is it going to do to their hearing?

Apart from the behaviour on the roads, and certain immigration issues, I am not normally a Thai basher.

Nothing wrong with the Thai traditions, but what did they do before these big loud speakers were

invented?

This noise carry on just shows how low the Thai mentality can really be.

21 hours ago, essox essox said:

these do NOT work well.....have tried many times can still hear the noise which one is trying to erradicate

i get some silicone earplugs which take the shape of the ear.  combined with a room fan on high setting, they allowed me to sleep thru the night, 300 feet directly under the approach to the san diego airport.  

these are the ones i use, they might have something similar in thailand:   https://www.amazon.com/Macks-Pillow-Soft-Silicone-Earplugs/dp/B07G1MWHNR/ref=sr_1_6?crid=EYC7GH1MZWY5&keywords=silicone%2Bear%2Bplugs%2Bfor%2Bsleeping&qid=1562714681&s=gateway&sprefix=silicone%2Bear%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-6&th=1

I understand you more than good, I live near two temples and schools, from 9 to 16 hours a day a really high noise.
The Thai seems not to disturb, if there is a bit of peace, during the school holidays, the noise comes from some private house.
Buddhism then, like all other religions, has no respect for people, nature and the environment, but if I say something, the answer is always the same "they are the monks", the authorities (religious and governmental) they can do everything.
I am now organizing my departure from Thailand (after 24 years), I leave my wife, my home and everything that I have built over this period.

2 minutes ago, 30la said:

I understand you more than good, I live near two temples and schools, from 9 to 16 hours a day a really high noise.
The Thai seems not to disturb, if there is a bit of peace, during the school holidays, the noise comes from some private house.
Buddhism then, like all other religions, has no respect for people, nature and the environment, but if I say something, the answer is always the same "they are the monks", the authorities (religious and governmental) they can do everything.
I am now organizing my departure from Thailand (after 24 years), I leave my wife, my home and everything that I have built over this period.

Sounds like you have reached that old age grumpy thing...

You never thought of moving house...? A lot easier...????

43 minutes ago, transam said:

Sounds like you have reached that old age grumpy thing...

You never thought of moving house...? A lot easier...????

FYI, I'm 66, I was in Samui for 22 years, so much traffic and I thought it was noisy, nothing to do with what I found in a small town near Nakhon Sawan, selling the house here is almost impossible and going where? I think Thailand is noisy, dirty, stinking and unbreathable air and a people that doesn't want us!

I can relate, used to bug the heck out of me.  Now, i don't even here it, i tune it out somehow.  Currently in my local moo baan we have a funeral getting ready to take place 4 houses over, you can bet its going to get very loud.  Then they are going to do the 100 day party right after the funeral to get it over with i guess.  Wife says it saves travel money for people coming back up from bangers and Rayong and what not. 

Now, then we have the monk celebration today leading up to the big 16-17 days.  I don't live within earshot of all that, but i am aware its going on.  There is also a wedding this saturday 3 doors down so that is going on as well.  I am invited to all of it and will make a appearance.  Wife will cook at the funeral, then go help at the wedding and still get over to do the monk thing.  Eh, you deal with it, or we all know where the airport is.  

2 hours ago, 30la said:

FYI, I'm 66, I was in Samui for 22 years, so much traffic and I thought it was noisy, nothing to do with what I found in a small town near Nakhon Sawan, selling the house here is almost impossible and going where? I think Thailand is noisy, dirty, stinking and unbreathable air and a people that doesn't want us!

I am older than you and live in Isaan, built my place in an area where I thought I should be clear of stuff that may drive me up the wall...That needs a lot of thought and searching. Been in the place 12 years now with no regrets so far. Could never live in one of those concrete estates, now that would drive me up the wall..

Photo0958.jpg.1919f2e56211dc36a6476d63cc12d25c.jpg

house2.jpg.d15032a06d7ca2673d1e078bf629fe1c.jpg

This is my place, yep, that is a lake on my doorstep...

If you live in a Thai village then from my experience you can expect this sort of thing almost every week. Deaths, weddings, monk making parties,  absolutely no difference in noise levels. Nothing to do with living near to a Wat. All about drinking enough whisky to be blotto by 10 am or alternatively 10 pm and letting the whole neighbourhood hear you.

Drives me nuts to this very day as previously '' festivities''  used to start at 6am, now in my village it's closer to 5 am.

And how the Thais love microphones. 

A lot to be said for researching where you choose to live
Okay you cannot guarantee the future but the area should give you an idea of how it may unfold just in it's general setup already

It's extremely doubtful for instance that a new bar will spring up if you live several miles outside of town, or that a funeral will distutb you if you do not live close to a Wat

Living on an estate comes with a whole host of everchanging issues and neighbours that I did not want to deal with

The effort of finding land and making a house, while time consuming and mostly stressfull, has paid dividends...... for now!!!;)

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, 30la said:

But if your honest, you will admit it is not just the noise that's driving you out. Immigration issues also perhaps.

Welcome to Thailand.

Most mornings I get woken at 6 by speakers on the street: self-interested mutterings and bad music from an administrator, or exhortations about magic and the requisite donations. My Thai partner agrees this is unnecessary. I get up, open the house to cool it, and mask the noise by playing loud music until it is over at 7.

And yes the funerals are worse, but my partner says this is our culture...

Seems by far the loudest is for celebrating a kid becoming a monk, I think the family wants to make sure that not only does everybody know but that it is the primary thing on our minds for a few days. Seems in the last few years the speakers available  now nation wide have power capabilities that are literally approaching organ damage levels. Our place is outside the village, tyet even at our 300 -400 meters distance from town the whole house resonates and rattles and there is a physical impact on your body like someone lightly pounding your chest. I don't mind loud music but the way music has become is that it has to shake people's bodies half to pieces. The Thais will love 5g, same idea, no escape and intense physical impact like severe headaches, itching burning skin, tinnitis, sanook mak mak!

Archived