SET, baht will get stronger with lowering of policy rates worldwide: financial market expert

snoop1130

15 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I know what happened, I lived over there at the time.

I wasn't aware that everything stated here had to be backed up with links and historical facts of Spanish tourism back in the day.

I certainly have no intention of spending time on the computer to justify my comments to please you, because you choose not to accept them. I recall it happening at the time and that's it.

You certainly don't have to.  I just said the Spanish government or local merchants did nothing to bring tourism to Spain.  It was luck and various economic factors that had nothing to do with government or local businesses.  

Any way it is normal protocol that the person making a claim back it up or withdraw the claim.   

15 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Obviously exports will decline because the baht is too strong and buyers will look in the region for other countries and suppliers that are cheaper for commodities such as rice, fish, etc. That is just plain, simple economics.

Tourists in the short term will still come if they booked some time ago, but they will have a budget to spend usually, and this will reflect in them buying less whilst in Thailand.

Following on from that, they return home and tell people how expensive Thailand is becoming. The people who have not yet booked their holidays will then start shopping for cheaper alternatives and options and where they can get the most for their money. I remember the Spanish doing this to the British and every year the ' gouging ' continued until a trickle of people started visiting the Greek Islands. The trickle became an avalanche and it took the Spanish years and years to get the tourism back that it lost, and they had to substantially reduce prices.

Thailand's Generals think they can ' win them all ' with a large current account surplus and trying to pass nearly every expense on to the tourist and visitor. Unfortunately, economics do not work like that, and it all comes ' home to roost! '

From what I read the Baht is and will remain strong for some time to come . Thailand has attracted huge investments from Asian and western countries based on the massive ongoing upgrade of its infrastructure and automation manufacturing  which are seen as a winner in " State of the Art Production " in the near future . Meanwhile the Thailand has / is investing in foreign currencies / bonds which will see Thailand through any world monetary crisis , or at least that is the way I read it , however that is based on paper money and not tangible assets such as gold , oil  reserves or the countries natural resources . A global recession would change everything and the USA / China trade discussions could also have effects on the Baht .     

The tourist industry is around 12 %  GDP  and supports mostly the working class . In its current form it is not sustainable with the strong baht and is of little concern to the government who are applying financial income levels to established expats without consideration of liquid assets or the dire consequences on splitting up families who cannot meet the income criteria . Such is the wealth of the Thai baht the powers that be are looking for quality tourists and retirees .     The countries rich get richer and the poor get poorer . Do not need a crystal ball to see where this will end up .

Some say it is past its sell by date and lost much of its attractiveness and innocence .

• Thanks 1