my answer from Transferwise

I wrote an email to Transferwise and received an answer that may interest those who use Transferwise and have a BKK bank account, apparently it isn't as bleak as first made out.

Bangkok bank is still our partner bank. We have many partner banks in Thailand and there are many different reasons why one bank is chosen to complete the transfer. 

As I understand then using Bangkok bank to send out the funds would solve your problem?

If so, then next time, after setting up a transfer, just send us an email stating that you would wish to send the funds using Bangkok bank and we should be able to send it out via Bangkok bank. 

In the email state exactly what transfer are you talking about so there wouldn't be any misunderstandings. 
Also include a brief explanation why would you like to use Bangkok bank so the next costumer support agent dealing with the case would know the reasons behind your request. 

I hope I was of help to you. Feel free to contact us should you have any other questions. 

Aigar
TransferWise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the published emails say roughly the same thing - not one of them 'guarantee's' anything. They will do there best. That is not good enough.  They say 'should be able' 'to - not will.

Edited by pontious
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Would be interesting to know more than 50% of this story!!! What was your question and reason behind all this communication with Transferwise???????????

glegolo

I mentioned that many expats need an FTT in front of their deposits in the bank book in order to show funds coming in from abroad for a visa extension and that this was an existential problem for many. I said that I have a BKK account and my last transfer went over Kasikorn and shows an inland transfer which wouldn't be accepted by immigration. I also mentioned that from posts by expats on TV forum it appears that many are now are losing confidence in Transferwise's ability to show compliance with the wishes of immigration and are preparing to transfer money through other sources.

15 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I mentioned that many expats need an FTT in front of their deposits in the bank book in order to show funds coming in from abroad for a visa extension and that this was an existential problem for many. I said that I have a BKK account and my last transfer went over Kasikorn and shows an inland transfer which wouldn't be accepted by immigration. I also mentioned that from posts by expats on TV forum it appears that many are now are losing confidence in Transferwise's ability to show compliance with the wishes of immigration and are preparing to transfer money through other sources.

Thank you - Good to know to have a full picture of your dilemma...

glegolo

• Like 1

Currently, I paid for two transfers on the 8th July, which were tagged after a phone call to the UK office, and now on the 11th July, I am still waiting for the money to be transferred to Bangkok Bank. TW have indicated the money will be transferred by 4pm Thai time today. I won't hold my breath!

This is the last time I shall be using TW, as their Payment Team cannot be relied upon to carry out what their Customer Service people are telling their customers. Instead I shall be using SWIFT transfers through my HSBC UK account, or Remitly in the UK, whose fees are marginally more expensive than TW, but promise Express, same day delivery or next business day delivery. The first transfer is free of fees.

It is clear that TW prefer using intermediary banks other than Bangkok Bank, otherwise no need for a 3 day delay.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

My transfer to Bkk Bank on 4th July also went via Kasikorn Bank so shows on my account as a SMART transfer. Went to Bkk Bank main branch in Phitsanulok yesterday who, after phone call to Head Office, say they will 'change' the status of that transfer by next week. I also shall not hold my breath ! 

I ring the Oz office each month for transfer of funds from Oz, immediately after setting up the transfer. Has worked fine so far (but my July transfer is still 2 weeks away ...).

International phonecalls from Thailand are cheap. Each service provider has a different number. I use AIS - 00500 + country no. + callee no.

Just now, wgdanson said:

My transfer to Bkk Bank on 4th July also went via Kasikorn Bank so shows on my account as a SMART transfer. Went to Bkk Bank main branch in Phitsanulok yesterday who, after phone call to Head Office, say they will 'change' the status of that transfer by next week. I also shall not hold my breath ! 

I spoke to a lady at my branch and showed her transfers in my bank book and explained the problem, my missus was with me and they are friends, she said no problem, if and when I need a letter confirming deposits to see her and she will write it for me, I don't think this was just because she knew my missus, she was generally helpful, I had spoken first with a man who dealt with foreign transactions and he accompanied me to her desk and explained everything, I suppose it's also a matter of luck who you meet, like the right IO !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pontious said:

All the published emails say roughly the same thing - not one of them 'guarantee's' anything. They will do there best. That is not good enough.  They say 'should be able' 'to - not will.

I agree. Big potential headache for those who rely on showing international transfers.

1 hour ago, soalbundy said:

I found the same with my last 2 transfers "inland transfer"

I have come to the conclusion that it's a question of taking the rough with the smooth as far as TransferWise are concerned: low rates on the one hand and inconsistent codings on the other.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

They would have to reverse it and repost it, I can't see them doing that

I did exactly as TW advised in the OP. Contacted TW via 'contact us' option and advised details of transfer to BBL that I had set up. This was on Monday 8th.

Eventually the transfer arrived on 10th in my BBL account - with coding of SMT. Docs showed that it came via Kasikorn Bank.

The TW email response to my original message was just a generic 'we use partner banks to that we keep transfers local and thus get rid of cross border transfer fees'. No help at all.

I responded to this email by also complaining about the transfer taking two days, rather than the usual next day (sometimes same day if sent by 7am) service.

A follow-up email from TW indicated

a) that their initial response (from a different rep) was not complete and that I should give TW a call (not send an email as the transfer may have already been actioned before they get to the email - obviously different from OP message) and they will 'do their best' to have it processed as requested.

b)that the delay could be due to many factors. It can take up to 2 working days for the money to be converted, the delivery of funds depends on the partner bank used, the actual time that we send out the money and the location of your bank account. Obviously a standard response to any delay complaint.

So looks like their customer services department needs to ensure they are all singing from the same hymn sheet. At the moment they are all over the shop. But, the bottom line is they cannot guarantee that a direct transfer from their BBL partner bank to a BBL account will happen, even if notified in advance. That could be a show stopper for some, unless there is confidence in being able to convince BBL to include on the list of overseas transfers or that Immigration will take a more reasonable view if shown the TW receipts for any non-FTT coded transfers.

Too much uncertainty for me, I'm afraid. No interest in stress now, so the 800k deposit wins the day. 

• Thanks 1

An option in all of this for those capable of doing a little planning would be (1) do the monthly TW transfer on or around your set date, with suitable tagging & followup phone call, and (2) keep funds for a second Smart bank-to-bank transfer at the ready in case of need after checking your bank book.

In my case at least, that's on the basis that the last 7 out of 8 transfers have showed up in BKK Bank account as FTT, so (2) would be the exception not the rule.

3 hours ago, cassde said:

Currently, I paid for two transfers on the 8th July, which were tagged after a phone call to the UK office, and now on the 11th July, I am still waiting for the money to be transferred to Bangkok Bank. TW have indicated the money will be transferred by 4pm Thai time today. I won't hold my breath!

This is the last time I shall be using TW, as their Payment Team cannot be relied upon to carry out what their Customer Service people are telling their customers. Instead I shall be using SWIFT transfers through my HSBC UK account, or Remitly in the UK, whose fees are marginally more expensive than TW, but promise Express, same day delivery or next business day delivery. The first transfer is free of fees.

It is clear that TW prefer using intermediary banks other than Bangkok Bank, otherwise no need for a 3 day delay.

you do understand theres different fee levels for different speeds depending on the source currency ??

I use TW loads for business use.. I can either send a 60c transfer which can tke a couple of days or a couple of euro transfer which arrives a couple of hours later. 

EDIT :: Also as a user points out above, source of funds is another factor, I fund my borderless bank within TW and send from that, funding via external sources can be slower. 

Edited by LivinLOS

3 hours ago, cassde said:

After reading this I went to Remitly and did a comparison against TWise. Remitly was £30 more expensive to send Bht 65,000.

20 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

An option in all of this for those capable of doing a little planning would be (1) do the monthly TW transfer on or around your set date, with suitable tagging & followup phone call, and (2) keep funds for a second Smart bank-to-bank transfer at the ready in case of need after checking your bank book.

In my case at least, that's on the basis that the last 7 out of 8 transfers have showed up in BKK Bank account as FTT, so (2) would be the exception not the rule.

Same as you, 18 FTT transfers and this last one SMT. But please, why would your option 2 be any good as Immigration will not accept a SMT transfer. And I assume you mean use that method IF your first TWise comes in as an SMT. Then you would have TWO SMTs!

Several (many) of us have been told via phone and e-mail by TW that we may call and request that TW manually route the transfer through Bangkok Bank so that it shows as a international transfer rather than as SMART domestic. This is always with the proviso that they will try but cannot guarantee it.

OK. I just tried this for the first time a few minutes ago and initiated a TW between First Internet Bank in the U.S. Bangkok Bank.  I called a nice lady at TW OZ and requested it be manually routed through Bangkok Bank to post as an international transfer rather than SMART.  She sounded a little like a deer frozen in the headlights.  I don't know why, I not that scary! Anyway, she said she would do her best and then it was done and dusted!

Maybe if everyone does this, TW will get tired of processing all the phone calls and will provide a better solution.

I'll let you know when I know more . . .

BTW, you can call any TW office for customer service. It doesn't matter where you reside or where your banks are. 

Here are some TW offices.

Select a region United States
+1 888 908 3833

Mon - Fri 8:00am - 8:00pm EDT
---------------------------------------
peak to a team member nearest to you
Select a region Australia
+61 28 0466 244

Mon - Fri 8:00am - 8:00pm AEST
---------------------------------------
peak to a team member nearest to you
Select a region Singapore
+65 3158 3259

Mon - Fri 9:00am - 5:00pm GMT +08
-----------------------------------------

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

They would have to reverse it and repost it, I can't see them doing that

Actually, that was one of the suggestions in an email from TWise. But the money was long gone before I got that.

12 minutes ago, rexall said:

BTW, you can call any TW office for customer service. It doesn't matter where you reside or where your banks are. 

You should be calling the office in your home Country as they are the one's sending the wire transfer to one of their offices in Thailand. They then 'tag' the wire transfer to the bank partner office of your choice.

26 minutes ago, rexall said:

Maybe if everyone does this, TW will get tired of processing all the phone calls and will provide a better solution.

I agree, they should include checkbox like "Send directly to recipient bank but this take longer"... Same thing with contact TW, after 5 min waiting talk with lady in UK, she found immediately my email conversations and manually routed transfer which I still wait from monday evening.  In status is not yet send out. 

Friend of mine said the transfer once take 7 days (ouch). 

I still wait update, as from 5 months experience I see the transfers send out from TW around 9 AM BKK time and arrive 2 PM +- 5 min in BBL, this time is always like this as I have SMS every time when International transfer come

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Same as you, 18 FTT transfers and this last one SMT. But please, why would your option 2 be any good as Immigration will not accept a SMT transfer. And I assume you mean use that method IF your first TWise comes in as an SMT. Then you would have TWO SMTs!

You may be right, or maybe not. Before I started using TW late last year, apart from using an atm with my Citibank debit card for weekly cash as required, I was transferring larger amounts when needed bank-to-bank &, as far as I can tell from my bank books (BKK Bank), they ALL showed as FTT. And these were, as far as I can recall, transfers from Citibank to BKKBk. [When I was still young'nwinsome 4 or 5 years ago & building our house here in Surin, I was transferring very large monies from NAB to BKKBk & that was just highway robbery.] So is the Citibank method not SMART? how does it differ (apart from having excellent xrate & no fees)? This I am yet to discover - will be doing a Citibank/BKKBk transfer in the next couple of weeks after I do a TW one on 22 July.

Will report back.

Perhaps one way out would be to speak with your local bank, taking with you your TW receipts and get them to write the letter for immigration regardless that FTT is missing, once they understand what is happening they can do so with a clear conscience and all the IO is interested in is the letter that states that the money has come from abroad....just a thought.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Perhaps one way out would be to speak with your local bank, taking with you your TW receipts and get them to write the letter for immigration regardless that FTT is missing, once they understand what is happening they can do so with a clear conscience and all the IO is interested in is the letter that states that the money has come from abroad....just a thought.

I do not think that would work. You are asking them to say it arrived internationally when it clearly arrived domestic. They will not have seen a TW pdf before and I doubt they will want to. The problem is with TW. If you are able to, and having checked your home banks correspondent bank is  suitable, is to use SWIFT. I worked out my last swift compared to TW and it was only 600 baht different. When TW sort this mess out { if they even will { I will go back to them.

Edited by pontious

Just now, pontious said:

I do not think that would work. You are asking them to say it arrived internationally when it clearly arrived domestic. They will not have seen a TW pdf before and I doubt they will want to. The problem is with TW. If you are able to, and having checked your home banks correspondent bank is  suitable, is to use SWIFT. I worked out my last swift compared to TW and it was only 600 baht different. When TW sort this mess out { if they even will { I will go back to them.

Yes there would be some convincing to do but they have time (I'm not talking about the counter clerks but the higher grade people with their own desks) I have spoken with one lady who understood the situation and was prepared to write a letter to this effect after comparing the pdf's showing Euro transactions and the resulting Thai baht and comparing them to the booking in the bank book.

• Thanks 1