Phuket tourism going down the pan just like Pattaya: Few tourists and much worse than last year

webfact

2 hours ago, Mansell said:

"The planes are full though."

Of course they are full because the airlines figured out decades ago empty planes means less income. So they cancel flights and fill their other flights with the people from the cancelled flights. Ergo: full flights. It doesn't mean more people are flying, in fact the opposite is the case.

Not if the flight operates from or to the EU. I got paid 600 € for a flight 4 hours late, from BKK to the Nordics. Same applies to cancellations. A lot of misinformation about this topic, but I believe my bank statement when it says +600€ from the airline. Hmm, converted to Euros, I paid a total of 120 € for a round trip flight that got upgraded to business both ways ????

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Can't you read your own chart?  You said household debt was higher than it's ever been.  Take a look at your chart.????

Me thinks you "Should've gone to Specsavers"!

"Household Debt Outstanding"  - from 4 trillion to 13 trillion from 2007 to 2019

debt.PNG

This is many people warning that it was going to happen, a small example:although the price was already extremely high for wine, they have managed to double the price again.

And yes we know the answer it is not their fault.

And oh yes, I forgot to mention AIRBNB.

Well done Thailand, NOT!!

53 minutes ago, jessebkk1 said:

Change the 2 times per year tourist visa policy and watch the numbers implode in the positive direction.

Positive direction to whom, illegal English teachears without WP, as it was 15-20 years ago?

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

My feeling, and I admit I have no proof, is that the baht is being artificially propped up, but have no idea why. If it is, eventually it will crash, and the economic shockwave will have the power of a tsunami throughout Thailand. 

If the baht were to crash, as it did with the bank crisis in 1997, it would do wonders for tourism and Thai exports.

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nonsense.  I shop at Lotus and eat out at Fuji and there is no double pricing.  I buy my computer and mobile phone stuff from Lazada and there is no double pricing.  

Have you ever lived in Thailand because seems you get your information from Thai visa and not reality.  

The only price they have doubled is for the wine.

Before for 10 liter you'll pay 1500thb, now 3 liter for 1000thb.

6 hours ago, BestB said:

I am a long term expat and I take frequent holidays to Jakarta to have fun instead of locally . 

Why?

Because I am tired of having to pay top money for crap service, put up with crap English and bad attitude.

In Jakarta , I pay less, female company speaks good enough English, no sisters or brothers calling for her to go fast, no mobile phone that she must play with , I do not hear sad stories about sick mother or father and I get exactly what we agreed.

Taxi, grab, dirt cheap. Food just as cheap, and no one annoying you to buy some crap while you out , no hassles with police and friendly immigration 

Yup. And that is in a Muslim country that doesn't even try to compete with Thailand in the sex trade.  It's just there.  

I gave up going to Phuket over 10 years ago.  I started finding it overbuilt and ugly and the rip offs started with overpriced transport from the airport and continued with the dreadful mafia run local transport.  Even renting a car at the airport they once tried to keep my passport as surety for chrissakes.  So I just stood up and walked out of the office while he was still spieling away.  Why would I surrender my passport to a car hire bloke and then how would I check into my hotel etc?  Attitudes to foreign tourists are just horrible there and most the Thais are not from Phuket or the the South anyway.  They have swarmed in from other parts of Thailand to fleece the tourists.

Hotel, restaurant and tourist shop workers are often Burmese now all over the South.  You can hardly get a smile out of them because they are being treated like slaves by their Thai  Chinese overlords.

Speaking only personally the last time I went to Phuket I found it overcrowded and overpriced. What I saw of local food prices it was comparable to western prices. I had free accommodation so can’t comment on hotel prices. I can find no reason to return

It is not politics there are keeping the turist away, I have family there use to stay here for a couple of months every year, but not anymore. The Thai baht is too high up. Thailand has become too expensive.

26 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Because the baht is not propped up.  If anything the government and rich people would like to see it go down but it is not the baht alone it is the baht in relationship to the dollar and pound and Thailand can't control Brexit and/or Trump. 

"The central bank said it has been closely monitoring the Thai currency, along with nonresidents' capital flow movements. The bank is now "concerned about the rapid appreciation of the Thai baht relative to its regional peers, as it could lead to unfavorable macroeconomic repercussions," according to a statement released on Friday.

The bank in December raised its policy rate for the first time in over seven years. It is not expected to reverse the move despite expectations that other major central banks will become more accommodative in the near future."

Sure the central bank can do a lot. But as one can read, the bank is NOT expected to ease. As long as the rates remain high, the exchange rate will not come down. Probably there are direct orders from you know whom, to keep the baht strong.

The full story:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thai-central-bank-takes-steps-to-suppress-surging-baht

They Just Dont Grasp It Do They ? Tourism Going Down The Pan All Over Thailand And Still Nothing Said By The Top Guys It is a Farce . The Rich Enjoying The Strong Baht Abroad But the Working People Getting Shafted Again in Thailand Its Getting Worse , Last Oct-Jan Which they Regard as High Season Was Empty in Pattaya and Bkk i was There i Saw It And i Talked With Many People About It and They Said This is Shocking Empty . Just the 10 day and 2 Week Millionaires and The Vultures Were Circling HaHa The Top People Have Killed Thailand Now.

15 minutes ago, Farang99 said:

If the baht were to crash, as it did with the bank crisis in 1997, it would do wonders for tourism and Thai exports.

Well the current powers have no more control over that than they did in 1997.  However, the baht is no longer pegged to the USD which is what caused that crash.

1 minute ago, baruto said:

"The central bank said it has been closely monitoring the Thai currency, along with nonresidents' capital flow movements. The bank is now "concerned about the rapid appreciation of the Thai baht relative to its regional peers, as it could lead to unfavorable macroeconomic repercussions," according to a statement released on Friday.

The bank in December raised its policy rate for the first time in over seven years. It is not expected to reverse the move despite expectations that other major central banks will become more accommodative in the near future."

Sure the central bank can do a lot. But as one can read, the bank is NOT expected to ease. As long as the rates remain high, the exchange rate will not come down. Probably there are direct orders from you know whom, to keep the baht strong.

The full story:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Economy/Thai-central-bank-takes-steps-to-suppress-surging-baht

The reverse they want it to go down.  No exports, no tourism = no taxes.  No taxes no submarines.   

38 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Nonsense.  I shop at Lotus and eat out at Fuji and there is no double pricing.  I buy my computer and mobile phone stuff from Lazada and there is no double pricing.  

Have you ever lived in Thailand because seems you get your information from Thai visa and not reality.  

Depends where you go - I agree with you re Tesco, Lazada etc, but try going to a "tourist attraction" or "leisure park", and many restaurants have a dual pricing system (e.g. different menus for Thais and  farangs  - which I have experienced first hand and not gleaned from the pages of ThaiVisa!) 

I am married to a Thai, and even when we go shopping to the local market, she asks me to stay on the bike, or take a walk, as the vendors will charge more if they see she is with a "farang"! 

3 minutes ago, aspenbkk said:

They Just Dont Grasp It Do They ? Tourism Going Down The Pan All Over Thailand And Still Nothing Said By The Top Guys It is a Farce . The Rich Enjoying The Strong Baht Abroad But the Working People Getting Shafted Again in Thailand Its Getting Worse , Last Oct-Jan Which they Regard as High Season Was Empty in Pattaya and Bkk i was There i Saw It And i Talked With Many People About It and They Said This is Shocking Empty . Just the 10 day and 2 Week Millionaires and The Vultures Were Circling HaHa The Top People Have Killed Thailand Now.

This year has been the worst one in the past 10 for Thailand's richest.  You got it backwards.  They have no control over the weakness of the pound or US Dollar.

1 minute ago, sambum said:

Depends where you go - I agree with you re Tesco, Lazada etc, but try going to a "tourist attraction" or "leisure park", and many restaurants have a dual pricing system (e.g. different menus for Thais and  farangs  - which I have experienced first hand and not gleaned from the pages of ThaiVisa!))

Vote with your feet.  I did.  I don't get double charged ever.  

2 hours ago, Tidybeard said:

2014 - price of a small beer in a local bar = 40 Baht. Exchange rate was around 55 to £1 so cost to British tourist was £0.72.

2019 - price of a small beer in a local bar = 60 Baht. Exchange rate is 38 to £1, so cost to British Tourist is £1.58

Looks like a 100% + increase in 5 years.... that is why tourists are staying away.

Oh - and of my 20 or so friends who all bought houses and have lived here for 10 years plus... 3 have left already and 6 have their houses for sale. All going back to Europe as it is cheaper to live there now. If you don't believe me, check out Ocado.com. 

Agree with you on everything. Now here 25 years or so.

I used to venture into Patpong beer bars , last time I was there I was paying 110 baht for a small sized bottle of beer. Thai is 3 GBP for half a chemical filled bottle of lager. 6 GBP a pint!!!!...... to sit in a clammy, warm counter bar with no aircon, with a disinterested 50 plus year old woman serving and expecting a tip on top of that.

In Wetherspoons in my hometown they are knocking out pints of strongbow cider at around 2.20 GBP, A pub across the road does them at 1.75 GBP on Mondays and Tuesdays.

I no longer go into the city anymore choosing to get a airport hotel to wait for my flight.

In the last two years I have bought two houses in the UK, and some land on which I am awaiting planning permission. If that comes through, I will be in the UK to develop three houses.

I am tied here for the moment, but at least the houses and land were paid years ago in Isaarn, so I have no rents etc I have a Thai partner for over twenty plus years now, we never married. We stay here purely because the father died, the mother old and poor health.

My other half, who would be entitled to a settlement visa recently started asking what the job situation would be like for her in the UK. She has never floated this question before and gets on well in the UK with people and has a good grasp of the language.

She has said she would not want to sit at home or in bars but would want to be active and in decent, gainful employment, if we moved to the UK. She is early forties.

Add to this the additions and changes they keep making for us as foreigners staying ' temporary in the Kingdom ' a point they never let us forget and then the latest TM30 nonsense on top, as well as it being no longer value for money, we will be looking to move on. Even the local Tesco is way more expensive than the UK. Having said that, with ALDI and LIDL, we no longer need Tesco in the UK.

We no longer go out but drink at home in the garden. My other half gets bored of people asking for tips or drinks all the time and false smiles as well as boring, meaningless conversation. I am tired of random roadside stops or police and Army walking into the bars when we are having a beer checking IDs or generally having their presence felt. There are far more important things for law enforcement to be concentrating on up here.

One of the last remaining places I like to visit is Koh Chang but getting there from Isaarn, I might as well just fly to DM and over to Vietnam. Pattaya and Phuket and now even Bangkok, are no longer on my radar.

Most recent headline for Pattaya was that foreigners could be arrested and jailed if they didn't hold a motorbike licence. How about arresting those that rent the bikes? or making them clearly display or refuse to hire bikes to people that cannot comply with regulations? Instead, it's all threats and big sticks to tourists. Well <deleted> to that.

It isn't the price of a girl or a beer, or really more of a culmination of things meaning that......ALL THE FUN HAS GONE OUT OF THE PLACE!

7 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

My feeling, and I admit I have no proof, is that the baht is being artificially propped up, but have no idea why. If it is, eventually it will crash, and the economic shockwave will have the power of a tsunami throughout Thailand. 

What else in life do you approach with that same shocking lack of knowledge?  Health care?  Driving - I have no idea where I'm going but I know I will eventually crash and it will send shockwaves through my family.  

Have you actually read what you are writing.  You are admitting you are commenting about an issue you know nothing about!  Why post?  Just adding your little black cloud about Thai's crashing economy?

7 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Yes to all that, but on balance, I see no difference in terms of ripping off tourists here than say Spain, Cyprus, Malta,  most Caribbean islands. It goes on everywhere. 

The difference is that I live in Thailand, the article is about Thailand and none of those countries or areas have anything to do with Thailand as far as this topic is concerned. Focus.

7 hours ago, Snuller21 said:

And a way to strong Baht. Thailand used to be an affordable country for holidays. Not anymore as the Baht is way too strong. And that is also for the Export. Just look at the price for rice, and the declining of that as export as well. And Toyota making an assembly factory for HiLux in Myanmar, as they lose money on every assembled car in Thailand. Just saying.

and toyota supposedly bought a big piece of land in poipet cambo for future factory

Only went to Phuket once for three days and it was heart breaking. Just PizzaHut and McDonalds everywhere, beach was filthy, people were much less friendly than Pattaya. The two girls I was with were loving it though. ????

All these things tend to go in cycles. At the moment the only people who want to be here are those who have invested in property or have family here. Anybody with any sense is living or holidaying somewhere much better value where you don't get treated like a sex offender having to constantly report your every move. If I didn't have ties(thais? ???? )  here I'd have left for Vietnam a couple of years ago. Vietnam tourism is definitely on the way up, they take nothing for granted. Very impressed with my two week holiday to Vietnam, I'll be back.

Wait on that up cycle. Don't think we've hit rock bottom yet though. Exchange rate continuing to get worse, foreigners containing to be treated worse, visas more difficult. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

What else in life do you approach with that same shocking lack of knowledge?  Health care?  Driving - I have no idea where I'm going but I know I will eventually crash and it will send shockwaves through my family.  

Have you actually read what you are writing.  You are admitting you are commenting about an issue you know nothing about!  Why post?  Just adding your little black cloud about Thai's crashing economy?

I agree. Make a declaration of self-ignorance and blather on. Priceless.

Archived