Savannakhet

Sorry guys I tried to find something on financial requirements for non imm o spouse visa including their website but couldn't find anything . I will need to go in January which is a long time off yet I know but I am unsure if the exchange rate will get worse or not , if it maintains where it is now then my pension will cover the average 40,000 need to renew at my local office but its pretty damn close .

Any help will be very much appreciated .

1 minute ago, Caldera said:

London stopped issuing this very type of visa altogether vwhen they introduced the online system. Nobody knows when Savannakhet will start using the same system and if it will have the same effect.

Many other embassies and consulates already require proof of financial. It's not inconceivable that Savannakhet will eventually follow suit.

With all the changes that have been happening, it's just a damn long time till January. Many things can change.

That is England and NOT Laos. In my opinion most of the changes have been far over blown. A BIG NOTHING!

2 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

The answer is ZERO! Don,t worry about it ! I was just there the other day. Had all my papers ready i was the fourth in line. Returned 2pm the next day and was done. SUPER EASY !

Are you for real......I have been going to Sav for years, so what.....Have you not been reading the immigration clean up stuff of late...?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Good grief man.....Think you should open your eyes...

Eyes Wide Open! Nothing with Thai Immigration had changed my life here in any way. And no i don,t believe they are trying to run off foreigners that are here legally.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mitkof Island said:

Yea cleaning up foreigners that are not here legally.

Now you tell me why sleepy Sav is lately over run with applicants....?

I will tell you why, agents, agents and others traveling from all over LOS because of the no cash thing, even from Patts and beyond...If it is picked up by those who are gunning for stuff then we may see a change at Sav, who knows....

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

I will tell you why, agents, agents and others traveling from all over LOS because of the no cash thing, even from Patts and beyond...If it is picked up by those who are gunning for stuff then we may see a change at Sav, who knows....

I guess that must be why this thread was started, to get picked up by those who are gunning for this stuff

• Sad 1

It would be very naive to think that just because Savannakhet currently does NOT require financials for a non-o, that this will be the case next year. You're going to need it for the marriage extension at a later date anyway so the best course of action would be to open an account and get your 400k in now, then nothing to worry about even if they do change the rules.

IMHO it's inevitable that Savannakhet will fall in line with the other embassies at some point.

Edited by SteveK
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ThaiBunny said:

I guess that must be why this thread was started, to get picked up by those who are gunning for this stuff

Doubt it, just looking in a Pattaya blokes PP who got the visa at Sav will tell all..

11 minutes ago, SteveK said:

It would be very naive to think that just because Savannakhet currently does NOT require financials for a non-o, that this will be the case next year. You're going to need it for the marriage extension at a later date anyway so the best course of action would be to open an account and get your 400k in now, then nothing to worry about even if they do change the rules.

IMHO it's inevitable that Savannakhet will fall in line with the other embassies at some point.

Marriage extension is NOT required ! There are also 90 border runs. As far as agents Thai Immigration has finished them off.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

And no i don,t believe they are trying to run off foreigners that are here legally

I don't there think so either, they are just trying to make less of them legally here, that's what it is....

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The visas being issued en-mass appear to be tourist for 3rd country nationals, due to queue system now in place at Vientiane - only a small minority are non immigrant O visas.  The Consulate may change but over the decades there has always been an option for those married to Thai to obtain visa entry if they can not afford extensions of stay and I would expect that huminatian system to remain.

My home country Thai Embassy will not oblige this retired bloke with a Multi-O visa. They have in the past. Now if they can change their stance I see no reason why Sav may do the same, which has been my point, we do not know..

1 minute ago, meand said:

We also don't know if the sky will turn black tomorrow, and all life will cease to exist shortly thereafter. But we do know it is probably not a good idea to sit around worrying that it will happen. 

Absolutely..One thing I don't do....:stoner:

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

London stopped issuing this very type of visa altogether when they introduced the online system. Nobody knows when Savannakhet will start using the same system and if it will have the same effect.

Many other embassies and consulates already require proof of financials. It's not inconceivable that Savannakhet will eventually follow suit.

With all the changes that have been happening, it's just a damn long time till January. Many things can change.

I tend to agree that the clock is ticking for this type of visa.

However, any changes such as we have seen in London would have a serious impact on the local economy of Suvannakhet. Without people going to the Thai consulate a lot of hotels there would face very hard times and a few might have to close.  Apart from Thais crossing to gamble  on day trips the place would be like a ghost town tourist wise since it is not the most exciting place to go for a visit.

Hopefully, the Laotian government will be aware of this and might persuade Thai immigration to defer making any changes before they have worked out something to take up the inevitable slack. After all, Mukdahan would also see a drop in visitors.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

And What If You DON'T Have 400k  Or You're State Pension will NOT Cover that?? BTW,I'm Here Legally,Married for close on 27 Years Now,So Are THEY Just Going to " Kick My Arse Out of Here "?? Who will SUPPORT My Wife Then ??

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mitkof Island said:

Marriage extension is NOT required ! There are also 90 border runs. As far as agents Thai Immigration has finished them off.

As far as agents Thai Immigration has finished them off.......NO They Haven't I Still know of one that is still operating in Issan....But She is VERY Expensive Now,She Charges 30k For a Visa.....

10 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

And What If You DON'T Have 400k  Or You're State Pension will NOT Cover that?? BTW,I'm Here Legally,Married for close on 27 Years Now,So Are THEY Just Going to " Kick My Arse Out of Here "?? Who will SUPPORT My Wife Then ??

I hope everything does go well for you.

With every such example as yours, I feel very uneasy looking to the future, they have disrupted my plans already by withdrawing the Visa I intended using for the next few years (from London) already, after only using them for 14 months. But my situation, is just a trivial irritation, compared with what yours potentially could become.

I don't think the wife realized I needed a visa, until I mentioned that one of two main reason was to go back (to the UK) in Feb was to renew the Visa and get 90 Days to come back spanning the School Holidays.