Little girl's eyes bleed after doctor prescribes "unsafe" eye drops

rooster59

Little girl's eyes bleed after doctor prescribes "unsafe" eye drops

eye.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

A mother in Nakorn Pathom took her ten month old daughter to hospital after she developed conjunctivitis.

The doctor at the hospital - not named in the Thai Rath report - gave her Tobrex.

When Anunan Sribun, 23, got home she administered the drops but things got much worse. 

Blood started coming out of the little one's eyes. 

She rushed to a clinic and the meds were changed and though reporters said that the child still has swollen eyes they appear to be on the mend. 

The NPS Medicinewise website online says that Tobrex should not be given to children under the age of 12 months as its "safety has not been established".

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-13

And this reminds me of the obvious reaction of the being insulted when at innoculations my Thai son checks the name on the injection vial with the name in the inoculation book just signed by the doctor. He's found 2 errors over 4 or 5 years.

And being told strongly by the nurse, when his very young daughter was admitted to the most famous 5 star, that he cannot read the details on the chart hanging on the foot of the bed. The nurse backpedaled quickly when my son mentioned that chart was for another patient.

Further checking proved that his daughter had been given the medicine for the other child and therefore she had not received the medicine prescribed for her. Son doesn't accept things like this and demanded someone from management come to the room.  Management guy (farang) insisted, without looking at anything that it was impossible and walked out.  Then senior nurse attached my son with 'why do you come here and make a problem for me?'  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, Matzzon said:

But then they must have doctors that care about thinking before they prescribe medicin. I always see an endless line of people in the hospital. They go in to the doctor, sit down. Open mouth, and listen to lungs everytime. After that just prescribe everything from paracetamol to antibiotic and also stronger medicine.

How do you know what drugs are prescribed to other patients, do you check in their bags?

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

And this reminds me of the obvious reaction of the being insulted when at innoculations my Thai son checks the name on the injection vial with the name in the inoculation book just signed by the doctor. He's found 2 errors over 4 or 5 years.

And being told strongly by the nurse, when his very young daughter was admitted to the most famous 5 star, that he cannot read the details on the chart hanging on the foot of the bed. The nurse backpedaled quickly when my son mentioned that chart was for another patient.

Further checking proved that his daughter had been given the medicine for the other child and therefore she had not received the medicine prescribed for her. Son doesn't accept things like this and demanded someone from management come to the room.  Management guy (farang) insisted, without looking at anything that it was impossible and walked out.  Then senior nurse attached my son with 'why do you come here and make a problem for me?'  

I truly understand how strange that was, but nurses and doctors go through the same "quality" education.

Considering what happened to my leg after an accident I believe that some doctors shouldn't be allowed to work as such.

After an accident with a motorcycle and a five times broken leg, the leg was put together with a plate, in a very fancy way and the suffering began for me.

He could have signed a document to send me to another government hospital only 65 km away, where they are familiar with fractures near the Tibia head.  

But you can't make a doctor lose face by saying he/ or she can't do it.

So they try it, even if they know that they are not qualified.

A good friend of ours, a young lady with two little kids, was administered antibiotics in one shot.

It was meant to be given intravenously on the following five days. How often do people get killed here by their own doctors?  

The result was an Anaphylactic shock where she then passed away in the hospital of a neighboring hospital.

The truth is that she'd died right after the injection, my wife had to see all their wrongdoing.  

Edited by Isaanbiker

22 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I think an internet search to read in English about a drug and the possible and potential side effects of any drug is a positive move. Medications here can be issued in a clear plastic bag and nothing more.(in my experience) 

Unfortunately, not many use the internet to check and make sure that it's really the right medicine.

In more developed countries, a doctor would also ask you about any eventually existing damages to your liver, etc.. to make sure that the side effects are not killing the patient. 

That doesn't seem to be important for these docs. 

Edited by Isaanbiker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I know hindsight is a wonderful tool but in the case of Thai medication I always check on the internet to see what the doctor has prescribed before application that's the way I always go!

And what do you do if you open a bag of Meds upon returning to your Home, only to find that the meds had somebody else,s name on them?

No! it was not a Pharmacy mix up, as the Surgery was One Doctor and a Receptionist.

The " Doctor " had simply given me the drugs from another Patient, as the Guy had left the Country ( as I later found out after he Receptionist phoned to ask why I had not kept my next appointment ) and had not paid for them, so the Doctor had to recoup his losses by issuing them to somebody else in order they paid for the Drugs not used.

Not one thought about Patient Safety, only Money

Unfortueately, this is the Thailand of today.

bleeding as a sole direct result of an antibiotic eye drop is extremely unusual and pretty much unheard of. it is much more likely the child caused the bleeding herself by rubbing and or scratching the eyes as conjunctivitis can be very itchy.

likely tobrex is used a lot in under age 12 around the world without complication.

what is more questionable is the need for tobrex for a commonly viral based conjunctivitis. perhaps it looked like pseudomonas on exam or microscope 

Edited by atyclb

On 7/13/2019 at 6:21 PM, scorecard said:

Management guy (farang) insisted, without looking at anything that it was impossible and walked out. 

That is what mobile cameras are useful for. Show the impossible.

1 hour ago, KKr said:

That is what mobile cameras are useful for. Show the impossible.

My son had already taken photos of everything. The farang rude manager refused to look or even acknowledge my son. As he was leaving a senior Thai lady from accounting had arrive, my son showed her the photos etc., and told her 'I will move my daughter to another hospital now and I want a detailed letter including details of the wrong medication to take to the next hospital, and I will not be paying your hospital 1 Baht'.

If you don't cooperate I will call the police and he showed the name card of a fairly senior cop he knows from his kids school.

He then told the acct. lady If I don't get 2 letters within 30 minutes (Med. report to take to the next hospital and a letter to indicate all charges have been cancelled) then I will call this policeman.

She arrived back in 30 minutes but my son refused to accept the med. report because it cleverly avoided any mention of the wrong meds. Son said write it again and mention ..... wrong medicine... . She went away and came back in about 15 minutes with the letter my son had asked for but no signature.

Son said 'I want the letter signed and the name of the person signing and their job title'.   Acct. lady returned 20 minutes later with the GM, who was less then polite or cooperative.

The GM said to my son 'why do you come here and make problems when you can't speak English?'  Son responded I speak advanced English, I was educated in Singapore.

GM signed and fled. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Thanks 1