Thailand’s tourism – stormy weather ahead

webfact

7 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I've even met some working in a bar. A woman I know in the village has indebted herself paying 10,000 Baht a month for her daughter to get a good degree in economics in Bangkok, the daughter is working on the tills now in Tesco.

Not uncommon even in the US. I can't tell you how many college grads I've run across who were checking groceries. There isn't anything wrong with working in a grocery store but how is it they couldn't find a better position since they put in 4 years at the university? The answer I think is the grades they attained. Having a college degree means nothing to an employer if they didn't have good grades. A waste of 4 years of life spent partying and running up student debt. Silly. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

There are so much better alternatives for vacations in friendly, clean and safe places. TH won't go down, but the demographics of tourism will change. For the first time this low season not one of my European friends is coming. They all are going to other destinations. MS>

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The TAT governor, Yuthasak Supasorn, recently spoke to a meeting in Thailand’s north-eastern city of Udon Thani. He outlined plans by tourism chiefs to develop niche markets for Thai tourism for secondary locations in the country targeting affluent tourists seeking lifestyle and wellness experiences, including LGBT travellers. He predicted that tourist revenues for 2020 would reach 3.7 billion baht with a 10% growth. The authority is, officially, still holding out hope that 2019 can rebound.

You will need all the amulets in the world to reach your dream, DREAMER!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

every country wants more tourists, but you see them as cattle cash cow's and threat them like s.hit and expect them to come back after a bad experience... anyway, many horny chinese & indian sex tourists as too many males compared to females overthere from killing them at birth

My mate from the UK came this year for the first time since 1988, he got ripped off as soon as he landed. Tour rep told him he had to pay VAT on a pick up and one day tour of Bkk- 1000 baht, at 7% a very expensive and odd total for the service. He won't be back. He could not believe you can no longer buy a drink in the afternoons and how expensive things are now.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, RobboR said:

Utter <deleted> Where do you find these ridiculous surveys?

Yup, the most realistic indicator that I've seen is Numbeo.

The average salary of a person in Bangkok (degree or not) is around 25,000 baht - that sounds credible.

This is a broad across the industry average, but if you drill down,

there's many factors that will influence wages e.g. educational background, English speaking ability etc.

Those who can speak English will earn considerably more than the average Somchai.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

I went to get some breakfast the other morning and bumped into a poo ying I know from somewhere I couldn't remember which bar anyway she knew me, she ordered her food which came to 90 Baht she didnt even have enough money to pay so I gave her 100 Baht so even the bar girls are falling on hard times

I new a girl who told be she was on 70-100K per month. But still no money no customer, that's about 10 year ago.