Thailand’s tourism – stormy weather ahead

webfact

13 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

STINKING POLLUTION, year after year in Chiang Mai, people dying from pollution related diseases, the WORST ROAD TOLL IN THE WORLD, and a ridiculously high Baht....aside from rip-off merchants everywhere.

The MESSAGE has got through.... Thailand is NOT what it used to be ! 

I lived in CM for 3 years and left in 2009.  Anyone who stayed was not seeing or breathing the obvious.  Thailand is not what it used to be but used to be was 2000 not today.  

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CaptainJack said:

Her biggest problem now is the cheating bosses stealing from their employees.   I still send a a little now and then to help.  She works 12 hour days and is almost 45 now.  Exhausted from work that barely covers her expenses.   The stories she has continued to tell me about tourism in Thailand are dead on with the article. 

There are a lot of obsessive, controlling cheating bosses here... and employees.  No one trusts anyone.

1 hour ago, Dinobot said:

What were once curious eyes pointed outward at the world and the many curious foreigners come to their homeland, are now buried in an endless scroll newsfeed of self indulgent masturbatory one-upsmanship where everyone tries so hard to present a picture perfect lifestyle but simultaneously and quite ironically, leaves them more empty and wanting to live up to their fictional avatars, ever more lonely in the increasingly connected world.

Wonderfully written and so descriptive and accurate.

Good news for Mother Nature. She needs a much needed break. Maybe some of the devastation can be reversed. More time for Maya Bay to recover. Maybe the southern islands will one day be a desirable place to visit again. But for now, I go to Vietnam for holidays.

Yes, the worm has turned, the country has bitten the hand that feeds them far to often.

Visitors have stopped coming in noticeable numbers in reaction to the many things seemingly designed to fleece, scare, annoy, even kill them.

(And what other country on earth requires tourists to report where they lay their head every single night!)

The manifest problems in Thailand that have, either singly or in combination, caused tourists to seek friendlier shores, have been listed and discussed at length by contributors in this thread.

However, if any expat thinks their thoughts and ideas will be acted upon, or even read, by authorities with the power to effect change, are very naïve. Apart from calling meetings, making platitudes, giving promises of hard line action, and diverting blame elsewhere, nothing will happen in the short term. The country will blunder on, relying on Buddha and the knowledge of their own greatness to make things right again.

Change will only happen when the little people reach breaking point and start making forceful demands.

Long term it would require a complete overhaul of the culture starting with the education system and going all the way to the top.

3 hours ago, nickstav said:

I looked at the list. Those are targeted positions and mostly managerial positions. I don't think they represent the average Thai, even those with degrees. Look on the list at what a teacher makes. How many Thais with an undergrad degree are working as salesgirls in department stores? I've met quite a few.

My wife's family don't earn 84k/month between 6 of them.

20 odd years ago I was always impressed by Thai hospitality I landed in Bangkok at 2-30 am for the very first time and stayed in the JW Marriott I need a beer so I went over to the bar there was nobody around only me and two staff of she goes and gets a beer when she knelt down to pour my beer and said would you like Head with that sir?, Best I dont answer that question

6 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Hand out 40 THB for 1 US $ from tomorrow onwards .....and by the end of the week, guarantee all the taxi cheats will have their cabs full of tourists !....and be more nice and polite with all the decent visitors and do not only bootlick one specific type of tourists....immigration boys also need to chill down, be nicer and stop harassing with their redtape...and then maybe..?

You are 100% correct saved me from having to post same thoughts,no value for your dollar ,to many obsessive immigration rule changes slowly all becoming too hard 

One point for Thailand not to ignore is that typically the European and US visitors make multiple visits year after year. I don't think the same can be said for the Chinese and the Indians. I think they are a one hit wonder in my opinion.

They need to encourage those holiday makers back. I'm sure the Chinese tourists contribute to many support businesses like transport, organized shows and hotels , but they are not keeping the life and soul of Thailand alive, which in my view was part of the magic of Thailand.

27 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

If wine duty was 100%, you would have a thriving wine industry here, five to ten times the size of the current industry. So the state income would be made up on volume, and hundreds of thousands of jobs would be generated. Instead the protection of a few local wineries continues, due to some politicians passing the anti import wine bill years ago, and accepting the payoffs that came with that braindead decision. 

And there you encapsulate what is wrong, on so many levels, with the governance of this country. It is governed for the benefit of a few very select interests, who can through wealth and a preparedness to buy influence, control that government. It is true of the wine industry, but of many more profound policies and actions. It is behind the strength of the currency, The collapse of the tourist industry is a result of it.

2 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

One point for Thailand not to ignore is that typically the European and US visitors make multiple visits year after year. I don't think the same can be said for the Chinese and the Indians. I think they are a one hit wonder in my opinion.

They need to encourage those holiday makers back. I'm sure the Chinese tourists contribute to many support businesses like transport, organized shows and hotels , but they are not keeping the life and soul of Thailand alive, which in my view was part of the magic of Thailand.

I will agree with you the Chinese dont seem to be repeat visitors and only here short stays they dont keep the local market afloat 

I must have blinkers on because in Chiang Mai there are still hordes of Chinese tourists everywhere I go. Try walking around the Himma Haman area or go to Maya Mall or Central Festival and you will be utterly gobsmacked by their numbers and of course their rudeness. Add in the continuing number of Twatpackers wondering about with all their worldly possessions on their backs and tourism in Chiang Mai seems to be doing just fine.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

One point for Thailand not to ignore is that typically the European and US visitors make multiple visits year after year. I don't think the same can be said for the Chinese and the Indians.

Since there are 400 million middle class Chinese tourists a short distance from Thailand - hardly a concern.  

6 minutes ago, superal said:

Have been told that the bar girls are asking 2-3-or 4000 baht short time . Even at 2000 baht that is over 50 pounds UK . Cheaper in the UK , they tell me .????

Depends on where you go and what kind of company you are looking for.  In my experience and I don't have to ask anyone prices are stable to a bit down.  

5 hours ago, LongTang said:

From 2006 till now it was about 30 to 35 Bath for a $, So no drastic changes there !

If you are talking about Bath to $ then don't quote something that is about European, They use the Euro and that was more then 30-35 that time, even a while over 50!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The optimism is based on hopes and prayers rather than any of the ‘problems’ actually being fixed

So the decline in numbers will continue to drop... Thais just can't get their collective heads together, solve the issues once and for-all.

Vietnam & other bordering neighbours will thank you eternally for their windfall!

Do you want me have one chance to make a first impression if people don’t come here they’re not going to come here and if they come here and they don’t like it they for damn sure would not be coming back in Word of mouth it’s the most important fast-moving advertisement you could have if it’s good the people are going to come in if the word of mouth as bad as will put the lock on the door

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

If https://www.averagesalarysurvey.com/thailand is utter tripe why not present an alternative source of information.  Cause from what I see I'm the only one who works with facts and you all are just carping about nothing.  

Your "facts" as well as the survey are obviously very selective, and offer no proof that they represent a broad base. That's what is wrong with it/them. We had a saying back home when submitting our monthly performance reports..."if you don't like these numbers let me know and I'll give you some numbers you will like". Statistics can say almost anything you want, depending on how they are manipulated.

5 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Your "facts" as well as the survey are obviously very selective, and offer no proof that they represent a broad base. That's what is wrong with it/them. We had a saying back home when submitting our monthly performance reports..."if you don't like these numbers let me know and I'll give you some numbers you will like". Statistics can say almost anything you want, depending on how they are manipulated.

You don't agree with me or the survey.  Great.  Present another one.  That's why I posted it rather than anecdotal evidence about the 200 Thai executives that I know.   

The high Baht and pissing off Western tourists and expats is hardly going to improve things, they might be lower in numbers than Chinese and Indians but they generally have deep pockets and spend - high numbers doesn't equal high income

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

There were staff layoffs in some of the major hotels in Hua Hin during last years low season.

I know Thai people who work in the hotels, will be interesting what happens in those same places this year.

There should be a boost in European tourist arrivals starting this week through until the end of August due to the summer holiday period, if it doesn't happen then they're going to feel the pain again!

I doubt there will be EU tourists coming this year. Brexit and low currency rates for both the pound and Euro. Hotel staff layoffs will be coming again. Sadly 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Chart of dead tourism below.  You guys are funny.  GF college grads broke and all the hi so shopping in Bangkok are closing and the clerks out on the street begging.  Ha ha ha.  Pardon me if i don't panic.  

thailand-tourist-arrivals@3x (1).png

Dear Marcus - you seem to be quoting stats from a Thai source.  Please give a credible, independent source outside of Thailand.

4 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Dear Marcus - you seem to be quoting stats from a Thai source.  Please give a credible, independent source outside of Thailand.

Nope.  Source is Trading Economics provides its users with accurate information for 196 countries including historical data for more than 20 million economic indicators, exchange rates, stock market indexes, government bond yields and commodity prices. Our data is based on official sources, not third party data providers, and our facts are regularly checked for inconsistencies. TradingEconomics.com has received more than 500 million page views from more than 200 countries. 

But further you are always welcome to present your own survey from a source you consider better.  Perhaps a better thing to do that tell me what to include in my posts. 

8 minutes ago, poohy said:

Really, i beg to differ

You need a degree to work in 7/11 they dont pay 84K!

Youngest stepdaughter just got degree in finance, shes  got a job in bank certainly again no where near 84K

I know a girl with a degree in accountancy works as a cashier in a hotel 15,000 a month + tips

2 minutes ago, poohy said:

Really, i beg to differ

You need a degree to work in 7/11 they dont pay 84K!

Youngest stepdaughter just got degree in finance, shes  got a job in bank certainly again no where near 84K

Anecdotal evidence is absolutely worthless.  https://www.glassdoor.sg/Salaries/thailand-salary-SRCH_IL.0,8_IN229.htm?countryRedirect=true

23 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

TAT was never effective doing anything.  Nor has the government done anything.  Tourism just plodded along all by itself and mainly reacting to currency swings.  Chinese money comes in to build hotels but that is a Chinese thing and nothing to do with Thailand.  There is nothing short of putting Brits on Thai welfare that would get them to vacation in Thailand with the current pound to baht price.  

I disagree, TAT are very effective at their own self indulgence and self interest. I attended the Tourism expo in Berlin in March. ITB is claimed to be one the largest of it's kind in the world. 

At the transiting airport at Frankfurt the tarmacs were literally smothered in Thai Airways planes, mainly old jumbos. Not hard to imagine unproductive TAT people would have been there like flies on sh!t.  All sitting up the front of the plane at discounted or zero prices and then lapping up the 5 star hotels and all that goes with them. TAT is a parasitic organisation and a waste of government money. It had a budget in 2017 of over 7000 million thb. One only has the read the outrageous statistical announcements it makes to realise what a useless organisation it is.

Thailand would have had one of the largest pavilions at the ITB expo and the presentation was excellent and a credit to the individual exhibitors. The virtually bankrupt Thai Airways somehow seemed to have found enough money to buy the most expensive advertisements in the EXPO's daily journal. 

I get the feeling they could do the same at every travel expo in the world but nothing would save Thai tourism from the disaster that is happening right now. 

Archived