"They must have gone to the temples instead!" - Pattaya as dead as a dodo in the holidays

webfact

2 minutes ago, petemoss said:

several countries that have banned smoking in designated areas of certain beaches

Certainly not the Croatian beach where I was swimming a couple of hours ago. Sorry, not contributing to Thai tourist revenue at the moment.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liar liar pants in fire...

One department says tourism is unaffected. Yesterday. 

And today its worse than ever. 

Its a bit like the big cheese (burger) saying military rule is ended.

And wearing his uniform still.

The only one in normal clothing at the ceremony was HRH.

... ‘sum nam nah’ !

Folk won’t return with repeat business as the more greed and ripping off by the ‘get rich quick’ squad keeps manifesting. Then again this may just be the breaking point. 

Thailand has it great all those years ago when it was a rustic place with the cost of living and drinking was at a rustic price setting. 

Also the amount of bad press with scamming tourists and throwing them in jail for minor infractions is scaring folk off. 

Who in their right mind would visit a place where one can end up with a one year prison sentence for ripping up a motorcycle agreement, which was only an accusation that never took place. 

Sheesh ‘wake up Thailand’ SMELL THE COFFEE !!! 

41 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

@petemoss could you change that photo of yours? you look like a muslim terrorist and it's making me feel uncomfortable 

It reminds me of the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe. Perhaps he's got early release. Having said that. I agree with you 100% Peter regarding Brexit.

9 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Not sure what this has to do with tourist numbers. 16th and 17th is a Thai religious holiday. Why would there all of a sudden be more or less tourists. If there were no tourists on the 15th, there wont be anymore on the 16th.

The same amout of Thais are still here, whether they choose to go to the beach is up to them.

Not really following the logic, there are no thais at the beach on a thai holiday so therefore tourist numbers are down.

Total B/S the numbers are down because no one wants to come here anymore. Pattaya will be a ghost town very soon. There is more I can say, but i value my freedom.

We were there last week,also hardly anyone on beach. And i counted only 6 parra gliders in the ocean , there are usually about 50 at any given time, very quite. And people still try to ripyou off. If any businesses go under its collectively there own fault. Just getting bored with asia. 

58 minutes ago, petemoss said:
1 hour ago, cyril sneer said:

@petemoss could you change that photo of yours? you look like a muslim terrorist and it's making me feel uncomfortable 

It's my namesake. The guy's 2000 years old, no wonder he's looking a bit rough. Just giving him his 15 minutes of fame.

I thought it was a George Best figurine...

I’m a Non Smoker. Always have been. I find Smokers in general, ignorant of the filth their habit creates for others....HOWEVER....No smoking on an Open Beach is really ridiculous!! Also the vendors crying about empty

“ Chairs” ...If I go to the Beach I want the option to Sunbathe, and NOT be hassled with Vendors...

i go everyday to the beach for 2hours (Pattaya) I swim, and lay by the sea shore to cool down...and people watch !! Luv it.

9 hours ago, RobboR said:

I hate eating in malls, depressingly sterile with absolutely no atmosphere. 

You can't beat eating by the sea (in a decent area) with the views, the breeze & the buzz of people.

Since I've lived here I rarely eat inside.

In the bkk city inside in the air conditioning beats sitting along side road side pollution and mosquitos.

maybe the sea side is different but the malll food has its place 

26 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

The amount of negativity and hope for failure is astounding.  Why do so many people gleefully hope every thing fails on this thread and many others? 

Some very sad people out there in TVF land. 

Because what goes around comes around.

9 hours ago, RobboR said:

As a savvy restaurant guy here's some advice.  Never eat at a restaurant with a view as you will be paying for the view and not the food.  I found my last time in Pattaya the food good at the newest mall - Terminal 21 and no one bothered us while we ate.  

Well a good breakfast, lunch or dinner is more than the eating it is also about the athmosphere where you also can enjoy your food in a quite and silent place. I have been at Terminal (terrible) 21 and eating once, and I will never go back as they have a children playground in the end of the restaurant and from there you get an awful noice.

1 hour ago, Jen65 said:

The crash is coming !!  now too expensive,too polluted and poor service !!  Hopefully that will see the Thai baht tumble ! If I could sell one property I would repatriate the funds and make on the exchange rate then look for another more economically and friendly country to reside .

WWII didn't crash it.  Vietnam war didn't crash it.  Coups and riots didn't crash it.  Asian contagion didn't crash it for long.  Why would you think a little smoke, a couple of bad waitresses and a low pound and Aussie dollar would hurt it? 

7 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

Reap what you sow.
TAT wanted the Chinese and Indians and not the Farang. Indians and Chinese do not do beaches in the same way. The Chinese pack themselves on to buses and go to Nong Nooch or Khao Chin Chan, I heard KCC was gridlocked yesterday afternoon. Then they get a delicious 7-11 to top up the sumptuous banquet on their way home. The Indians just wander, apparently spending fortunes, except no one seems to know exactly where,
Welcome to Thailand Beach Resorts 2019.

8 hours ago, petemoss said:

Where I used to sit, in Jomtien, there were as many Thais sat around me as farangs. More at weekends. More Thais smoked than farangs. Now, no Thais, no farangs, go figure.

My Thai girl an I walked down to Jomtien beach from the Temple...the latest renovation is very nice!! What struck me was No Showers anywhere along the Beach? Surely that would have been an easily afforded and much needed addition, also I finished my litre bottle of water at Waterpark...and found NO bin to dispose it until walking all the way into Jomtien itself!!

1 hour ago, CygnusX1 said:

Instantly thought of the world’s worst Nanny State, turns out I was right!

You thought there weren’t any,which is why you stuck your neck out to challenge me to name one. I did better than that so now with your tail between your legs you pretend you might be right because in your deluded world Australia doesn’t count as a country ,but a nanny state. Risible logic - you are now an honorary Thai in that respect 

9 hours ago, petemoss said:

He didn't mention the knob who banned smoking on the beach then. Used to regularly hire a rake of deckchairs in Jomtien and enjoy a day on the beach with my family. Haven't done it once since the smoking ban. I had the curtesy to go and tell our regular vendor the reason why we wouldn't be visiting her again, lovely lady, really miss her. The only reply I got was one of those sick fake smiles. som nam na.

Thais tend to fake a smile regardless what they felt inside be it sadness, embarrassment, loss of face, loss of words unlike caucasians who tend to reflect on their faces what they are feeling inside. Cultural differences.  

Because the economy in China is tanking. Even the cheapest of Chinese can't do Thailand on the cheap Whoever does visit Thailand will barter down prices for tourists. Futhermore, whoever does have serious money wants to travel to Thailand to tourist with thousands of cleap bastards trashing the beaches, and behavior that trashes them.

15 minutes ago, Boombum said:

My Thai girl an I walked down to Jomtien beach from the Temple...the latest renovation is very nice!! What struck me was No Showers anywhere along the Beach? Surely that would have been an easily afforded and much needed addition, also I finished my litre bottle of water at Waterpark...and found NO bin to dispose it until walking all the way into Jomtien itself!!

Thai logic thinking that no bins will magically result in no garbage... thus less work to dispose them. Unfortunately the result is garbage being thrown wantonly ...

3 hours ago, THE REVERAND said:

The GOOD OLD DAYS at Pattaya and Phuket  of BARS and Brothels are well and truly over. The Bang for Your Buck describes the food Quality and cost, while the prices go up and quality goes down their business  will never survive the real world .

Tourists are much more forgiving for higher food and lodging prices if they can have a good time especially the bar atmosphere . Now that the feelings are no longer there, they cannot justify the higher prices anymore. 

40 minutes ago, Ctkong said:

Thai logic thinking that no bins will magically result in no garbage... thus less work to dispose them. Unfortunately the result is garbage being thrown wantonly ...

Yes, a few rubbish bins, smoking areas with ashtrays, toilet and shower blocks.  Give something back.

People prefer to behave well.  Let them.

3 hours ago, petemoss said:

Because again you say "almost all non smokers". Name one western country that has completely banned smoking on the beach. In fact name one country anywhere.

you CAN  smoke on the beach in pattaya/jomtien---dedicated areas--whats wrong with that..

So I guess tourists did not buy this then:

"Located on the shores of the Gulf of Thailand, is a breathtaking coastal city with unparalleled natural beauty. In Pattaya, you can marvel at the stunning architecture that shapes the historic city, take a day trip to a beautiful remote island, or simply admire the vibrant floating market. This is a place where an unforgettable experience is waiting at every turn."

pattaya-QR.jpg

5 hours ago, petemoss said:

Maths not your strong point then. Things can be 1000% up but never more than 100% down.

If you catch 100 cod one month and 0 cod the following month your catch would be 100% down. How many cod would you have to catch for them to be 200% down?

maths is quite a strong point and i often use + or - 100% when comparing relative rates between currencies, or realised profits on a  short or long

Yes technically you cant lose more than 100% of something however your perceived losses can be described as 150 %, whether is right or wrong is useful way or seeing things.

as an example, if i brought a car for 1000 dollars it broke down immediately and i had to get it towed and dumped costing another 500 dollars. In my mind i lost 150% on that investment. I know i haven't lost more than 100% of my car lol

Archived