Common Lao words that differ from Thai

simon43

Slightly off-topic for this sub-forum, but perhaps someone has a link.

My Thai language skills - spoken and written are good (studied to MA level at Chula)

My Lao language skills are fair (listening/ speaking from previously working in Laos and having 2 ex-wives from Issan). Reading/writing ability just picked up from my Thai reading skills....

Now I'm relocating back to live in Laos again.  I really need to make an effort to learn the most common Lao language words that differ completely from their Thai equivalent.  So I'm not talking where 'farang' becomes 'falang' or 'rongrian' becomes 'honghian'.  I mean where 'prongnee' becomes 'meu-eun' and 'mai' becomes 'baw' etc. (Sorry, too lazy to use Thai/Lao script!)

Does anyone know of a resource which simply lists common Lao words that differ significantly from Thai? I'd very much appreciate if you can share your knowledge.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know of an online resource, but there's a book that does exactly that. Have a look on amazon to get the the title then buy locally maybe. I have to say, the last Lao I met seemed to speak perfect Thai, so I'm not sure it's really necessary to learn Lao, but good on you if you do.

11 hours ago, Percy Penguin said:

Don't know of an online resource, but there's a book that does exactly that. Have a look on amazon to get the the title then buy locally maybe. I have to say, the last Lao I met seemed to speak perfect Thai, so I'm not sure it's really necessary to learn Lao, but good on you if you do.

The OP is going to live in Laos.

Be aware that in Laos, whilst the vast majority understand Thai perfectly, they take pride in speaking Lao and generally will not switch to Thai to accommodate foreigners including Thais. When they visit Thailand (outside of Isaan and the North) they will switch to Thai. 

Thus it is important for the OP to learn as much Lao as he can.

14 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

You seem a clever chappie so as you say you have already had 2, then why not just get a third wife from Issan and take her with you as a tutor ?   Make learning fun ????

Both of my Thai wives spoke Issan as their family language.  So I already understand and speak Issan-Lao reasonably well.  But Issan is a spoken language only, and I had an advantage over my ex'es that I could read and write Lao while they couldn't....

I have my own list of Lao-Thai words that differ significantly, and add to it as I learn new words.  Googling of course finds many 'Learn Lao Language' resources, but not a specific Lao-ThaI common word list.  I'll have to Google harder!

@Percy, yes indeed, most Lao people understand spoken Thai perfectly well.  But when I'm in Laos, I always try to speak Lao out of politeness and respect for their language.

Update - just saw Briggsy's post above.  He understands exactly why I want to improve my Lao ????

1 minute ago, Briggsy said:

The OP is going to live in Laos.

Be aware that in Laos, whilst the vast majority understand Thai perfectly, they take pride in speaking Lao and generally will not switch to Thai to accommodate foreigners including Thais. When they visit Thailand (outside of Isaan and the North) they will switch to Thai. 

Thus it is important for the OP to learn as much Lao as he can.

I guess he may well be aware of that as he states he has worked there previously

2 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

I guess he may well be aware of that as he states he has worked there previously

Yes, I know that, Mr Smartypants, that is why I quoted the poster referring to himself as Percy Penguin.

Archived