Cured meat

Joromei

Just wondering if anybody here has tried curing meat in this weather, mainly interested in pork. I have done a lot of curing in the past but never here in Thailand, I miss having my own cure meats  but not sure how it would work here in this heat 

18 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I cure it all the time.  Get a needle and inject the cure.  Put it in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for 24 hours and cook at a low temp in the oven. 

Noooo. Don;t inject it. You need a long, slow cure.

I dry cure pork. Mix my own cure (slat, pepper, pink salt and what ever takes my fancy at the time). Rub the meat with the cure mix. Refrigerate for a week. Take the pork out the fridge. Rinse it and cook as you wish.

Interesting. I dehydrate the meat (takes about 8 hours), then add some homemade piri piri chili oil to it, along with some chipotle spicing. Mix, mix, mix until all of the pieces have been nicely coated, then enjoy. The dehydrated meat sucks up the piri piri oil and the spices stick to the outside somewhat. Mmmm...

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

Noooo. Don;t inject it. You need a long, slow cure.

I dry cure pork. Mix my own cure (slat, pepper, pink salt and what ever takes my fancy at the time). Rub the meat with the cure mix. Refrigerate for a week. Take the pork out the fridge. Rinse it and cook as you wish.

There is a reason why 95% of ham is injected to cure.  My granny just before the Civil War in the hills of Virginia when curing ham injected around the bone to make sure the cure penetrated all of the meat and her grandmother when curing ham for General Washington did the same thing.   

19 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

There is a reason why 95% of ham is injected to cure.  My granny just before the Civil War in the hills of Virginia when curing ham injected around the bone to make sure the cure penetrated all of the meat and her grandmother when curing ham for General Washington did the same thing.   

You said you cure in "24 hours". That is impossible. Cannot get a decent cure in that time. You are making salted pork. Not cured.

Commercially cured hams and bacon are injected for quick results and to keep the water content high to gain weight and thus get more money for the meat.

The results??? A wet and flavourless product.

1 hour ago, puchooay said:

You said you cure in "24 hours". That is impossible. Cannot get a decent cure in that time. You are making salted pork. Not cured.

Commercially cured hams and bacon are injected for quick results and to keep the water content high to gain weight and thus get more money for the meat.

The results??? A wet and flavourless product.

I used to make dry cured ham and I used to turn it every day for at least a week.

Archived