Hand baggage or checked in baggage

I'm travelling back home for a trip soon. I will be taking some tools with me that includes a cordless drill.

Will I need to take the battery, it is a removable one, off and put in hand baggage or can it stay in my checked in baggage?

I would imagine that the airline would not allow me to take the whole drill on board in hand baggage.

Some airlines as very fussy about batteries in checked baggage (you could ask them of course).

I would play safe and treat that battery as if it's a power bank and put it in your hand baggage.

Also verify that your battery is not more than 100 Watt/hours (160 with airline approval), do this by multiplying the battery voltage by the rating in A/hr.

Useful infor here https://zendure.com/blogs/news/what-power-banks-are-allowed-on-airplanes

EDIT I found this too, more directed towards tools but still the same general limits https://www.knaviation.net/flying-with-tools-hardware

22 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Some airlines as very fussy about batteries in checked baggage (you could ask them of course).

I would play safe and treat that battery as if it's a power bank and put it in your hand baggage.

Also verify that your battery is not more than 100 Watt/hours (160 with airline approval), do this by multiplying the battery voltage by the rating in A/hr.

Useful infor here https://zendure.com/blogs/news/what-power-banks-are-allowed-on-airplanes

EDIT I found this too, more directed towards tools but still the same general limits https://www.knaviation.net/flying-with-tools-hardware

Thanks for the advice.

There is virtually no chance they will allow you to take a cordless drill, with the battery on board. It could be used as a deadly weapon. Think about it. It does not pass even the weakest security standards. So, yes you have to put it into a checked bag. 

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

There is virtually no chance they will allow you to take a cordless drill, with the battery on board. It could be used as a deadly weapon. Think about it. It does not pass even the weakest security standards. So, yes you have to put it into a checked bag. 

Thanks. That is what I said. The point is the detachable battery. That would need to go in checked baggage, yes?

Please do not start me on this subject again.

The airlines (all airlines) should stick their convention which means any baggage over 7 KG & the 

size that fits in the stainless steel checkers goes IN THE HOLD.

Yes as an ex pilot it is very dangerous to have a 30kg bag in the overheads & I have witnessed the broken neck as a result

5 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Thanks. That is what I said. The point is the detachable battery. That would need to go in checked baggage, yes?

It needs to go in the cabin with you,if you run the battery down it should be ok to put it in the checked bag,I would discharge the battery whatever.

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Agree, the cordless drill in checked luggage, but without a rechargeable battery that goes in hand bagage. However, as others have mentioned, check with the airline you're flying with, they probably list on their home page what is allowed on board.

I carried a couple of those from the uk to LOS, checked on the airlines websites beforehand, I think the airline i was traveling with didn’t have clear instructions on their website but the general consensus from the others is:

Drill goes in your checked bag.
Battery ( Li-on same as yours ) goes in your hand luggage, with the terminals taped over .

Airlines security norms are like Thai Immigrations rules... You do never know what to expect, and what they will ask or keep from you. Not take a chance. Non sense? I flow from LA to HK on Singapore Airlines and I had to give up on my Swiss small tool pocket set because it have a 1.5 inches knife. At lunch time I was served with a nice meal with a complete steel set, including a nice and sharp 7 inches knife.

18 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Thanks to everyone for your help. Here is a picture of the battery with some spec info. I'm sorry but need to ask for more help. Not really up to scratch with knowledge.

10.8V and 1.5Ahr (1,500 mAhr) = 16.2 Watt hours - well within the limits. You should be fine with it in carry-on.

18 hours ago, youreavinalaff said:

Thanks to everyone for your help. Here is a picture of the battery with some spec info. I'm sorry but need to ask for more help. Not really up to scratch with knowledge.

67087061_3089620827777863_8856093638023708672_n.jpg

16.2 Whr. This is well below the limit quoted by Crossy above.

W= A * V for direct current such as batteries.

Oops! Crossy beat me to it. Almost identical reply.

Apparently it's true that great minds think alike.

(Damn Know - it-all) ????

Best to inquire with the airline your using and If return trip

on different airline check. Security has tightened up. 

The body scanner yiu have to take every thing out of pockets. I had

a cash register (small) in back pocket and had to go through the second check. ... 

better to save a headache at the airport...

On 7/21/2019 at 12:59 AM, RocketDog said:

16.2 Whr. This is well below the limit quoted by Crossy above.

W= A * V for direct current such as batteries.

Oops! Crossy beat me to it. Almost identical reply.

Apparently it's true that great minds think alike.

(Damn Know - it-all) ????

Thanks for the post, it helped me figure out what I was doing wrong with my arithmetic. 

My first try gave me, 16,200 watts.  I knew that was not right.  Finally divided the milliamps by 1000 times the voltage and had the same results as you posted.  

I have difficulty with arithmetic and don't even know how to spell all the gabra much less that other mathamatics like geocorrdinates about circles and stuff. 

• 1 month later...
Best to inquire with the airline your using and If return trip
on different airline check. Security has tightened up. 

The body scanner yiu have to take every thing out of pockets. I had
a cash register (small) in back pocket and had to go through the second check. ... 

better to save a headache at the airport...
Cash register in your back pocket? Sounds fairly ambitious. Was it the old mechanical Remington or a new fanged device?

Sent from my SM-T385 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived