Thailand's June foreign tourist arrivals rise 0.89% y/y - ministry

snoop1130

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CM has an uptick in tourist mostly the summer students on a 5 week tour of southeast asia. A few days in every country on the way to the next country, about 3 to 5 days in CM then off to BKK. Chinese tourist seem to be picking up as well see them mostly in the old city mucking up the roads. We went to a eatery in the old city and a chinese guest cut the bill payment a bit as the staff went running to the front after the issue was found but long gone

30 minutes ago, newatthis said:

That's my missus and daughter I sent down there for a holiday [for my ears].

Funny that , my son in law left C/Rai airport last night after a blue sky  week , now arrived in H/H to meet up with the rest of the family and I thought that was my eldest and a grand daughter in the pic. There yer go , a family of 5 in 

H/H this week that would equate to a 1% rise in tourists .

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Interesting that while the headline claims "Indians drive tourism" the final paragraph delivers a dose of realism... 

"However, while average spending per capita by Australian tourists to Thailand fell marginally from B80,698 for H1 2018 to B80,561 in H1 2019, the average Australian tourist still spent twice as much as the average Indian tourist." 

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I was at Central Embassy in Bangkok - loaded with Chinese tourists buying everything in sight.  They also buy condos for cash as they are trying to get money out of China.  Do your research about spending habits of Chinese tourists.  What is the ratio now?  1000 Chinese to one European?  They really don't have to spend as much to be a massive economic force.  

I fail to see how Chinese nationals buying condos, helps the Thai economy.Surely the proceeds goes to the individuals or companies that own the condo? In turn, those Thais probably cheat like hell on their taxes and also, probably, spirit that money away into offshore accounts.

If that's an indication of the kind research you've carried out, the above post isn't worthy of much attention, is it?

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

We have had the bar since April 2016. Up until last October monthly takings were averaging 150k to 180k. Now it is 50k to 60k per month. Just enough to pay staff, rent, electric. Not a lot else. 

Huge drop... hope things improve soon 

Tourism is not up. There is a zero percent chance this information is true. I have alot of friends in the industry. I know alot of people who have small hotels and guest houses. And a GM in Chiang Mai, at a five star hotel. Also, know some people who own massage shops, restaurants, bars and shops. All say the same thing. Tourism is way, way down, and sales and bookings and occupancy levels are way, way down. Thailand is due for a world of hurt, in the very near future. They do not see it coming, as vision is not a part of the culture here. But, things are changing, in a huge way. And though my heart goes out to the average Thai, the government is getting what they deserve. Years of xenophobic hatred and racism, insular policies, blaming foreigners for everything, and fear of the outside world, is coming back to haunt them. The people despise the army and Prayuth. They are doing a tremendous disservice to the nation. They are incompetent beyond belief, and the worst thing to ever happen to Thailand. Out with the army! 

21 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Interesting that while the headline claims "Indians drive tourism" the final paragraph delivers a dose of realism... 

"However, while average spending per capita by Australian tourists to Thailand fell marginally from B80,698 for H1 2018 to B80,561 in H1 2019, the average Australian tourist still spent twice as much as the average Indian tourist." 

Its ends up being a volume thing, they may spend less but there are 1.3 billion of them, there are cities in india with a bigger population than australia.

12 hours ago, nickstav said:

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. A friend of mine, who has been here for 15 years and has a very successful business right in the center of the tourist area said this past year has been his worst ever, and if things don't improve he may pull up stakes and shut down. I'm in the Soi 94 area and the restaurants are hurting, but the bars at night seem to be doing ok. I've also noticed more than a few massage places have dropped their prices down to 200 Baht, although this might be normal for low season.

Been here many years and I'm seeing the baht buses full of foreigners at night coming back from the mall areas for the first time this late in the year. Walked down soi 94 the other night and the restaurants I see slow weren't really busy 6 months ago, mostly the low end variety. People who are not bothered too much about currency exchange are up in numbers imo for this time of the year. 

3 hours ago, mac1970 said:

10 days in Hua Hin few weeks back. Most quiet low season I have seen as long as I remember. Daytime no people at all, only in BP and Village. Night Market really quiet most of days (not really many Chinese tour groups). Talked with few ladies in bars, one went back home after one month staying in HH, as no customers, another one had one customer in month and bars generally had very few customers. Barbershop lady near beach said that only old customers who stay long term. Driver who took us here and there, did not have any other customers in 10 days. Shared hotel with few Chinese and the owner looked like there is no tomorrow. But I like quiet HH, so fine for me even if not good for local business for sure. 

lol went to get on a baht bus from the mall at 6 pm last night and it was too full to get on and the one after was the same, and this isn't even the weekend here which is normally the only time it gets really busy.. Don't know about the bar girl scene but that's never been huge here anyway. No, imo, it's a busier off season. 

13 hours ago, nickstav said:

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite. A friend of mine, who has been here for 15 years and has a very successful business right in the center of the tourist area said this past year has been his worst ever, and if things don't improve he may pull up stakes and shut down. I'm in the Soi 94 area and the restaurants are hurting, but the bars at night seem to be doing ok. I've also noticed more than a few massage places have dropped their prices down to 200 Baht, although this might be normal for low season.

There is a Blogger on Youtube who posted a Video.....He Called it ...Hua-Hin ( The DYING City ) Says it ALL...

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

We have had the bar since April 2016. Up until last October monthly takings were averaging 150k to 180k. Now it is 50k to 60k per month. Just enough to pay staff, rent, electric. Not a lot else. 

If You're NOT Making ANY Profit.............It's Time to Pack it in !!

10 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

There is a Blogger on Youtube who posted a Video.....He Called it ...Hua-Hin ( The DYING City ) Says it ALL...

You tube bloggers make money off people watching, so the more contoversy, different opinion, the better. They create topics and stories to get people to watch. Very easy to cherry pick the content to suit your story.

A video called Hua Hin the thriving tourist town gets no subscribers.

33 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Tourism is not up. There is a zero percent chance this information is true. I have alot of friends in the industry. I know alot of people who have small hotels and guest houses. And a GM in Chiang Mai, at a five star hotel. Also, know some people who own massage shops, restaurants, bars and shops. All say the same thing. Tourism is way, way down, and sales and bookings and occupancy levels are way, way down. Thailand is due for a world of hurt, in the very near future. They do not see it coming, as vision is not a part of the culture here. But, things are changing, in a huge way. And though my heart goes out to the average Thai, the government is getting what they deserve. Years of xenophobic hatred and racism, insular policies, blaming foreigners for everything, and fear of the outside world, is coming back to haunt them. The people despise the army and Prayuth. They are doing a tremendous disservice to the nation. They are incompetent beyond belief, and the worst thing to ever happen to Thailand. Out with the army! 

Thailand is due for a world of hurt, in the very near future.......I Reckon Yer Spot on there,Mike....

19 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

lol went to get on a baht bus from the mall at 6 pm last night and it was too full to get on and the one after was the same, and this isn't even the weekend here which is normally the only time it gets really busy.. Don't know about the bar girl scene but that's never been huge here anyway. No, imo, it's a busier off season. 

WoW !! A Whole 2 Baht Buses FULL......

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You tube bloggers make money off people watching, so the more contoversy, different opinion, the better. They create topics and stories to get people to watch. Very easy to cherry pick the content to suit your story.

A video called Hua Hin the thriving tourist town gets no subscribers.

But this guy DID Show a LOT Of Shops & Even what he said was a Nearly New Mall on the Main road out of HH Closed Down as there was very LITTLE Business !! The Camera Doesn't LIE !!

1 minute ago, Nong Khai Man said:

But this guy DID Show a LOT Of Shops & Even what he said was a Nearly New Mall on the Main road out of HH Closed Down as there was very LITTLE Business !! The Camera Doesn't LIE !!

Its normal for HH during this time of the year and until September.

13 hours ago, nickstav said:

Well I just spent a week getting papers together - tourist visa for my annual visit - and each and every time I was told to come back with still more stuff.  I've got a Panamanian passport but both parents were American missionaries, Im white, but because of where I work I don't like using my US passport and haven't renewed it for many years.  The requirements for even a standard tourist visa have been going up up up these last years.  Sealed official letter from my employer now required, fax from the place I'm staying now required, complete color copy of my passport and all pages now required, prior 3 years of my bank statement now required, all this for a 7 day stay.   Also on the internet is says $40 for a single entry and I was now just told its $140....  I know it isn't just me having issues visiting, they really are turning the screws on visitors and potential visitors so it seems kind of crazy that they would then complain that numbers of tourists are low.  Yes I know that I am not sporting an EU or US/Western country passport so a lot of this is invisible to you folks from there but trust me its getting hard for everyone.

2 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Sorry, but we have a bar off Soi 94, and I can honestly say Hua Hin is officially Dead. Our Year on Year takings are Down 100,000 Baht per month. Bars and restaurants for sale all over the place.:sick:

Wife works at the mall and she also says it's busier in this off season, mostly Chinese. Many Chinese don't go drinking in bar girl bars or eat in restaurants on soi 94. One thing I have noticed is not as many foreigners sitting in front of 7/11's drinking beers so that's one plus. 

11 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Wife works at the mall and she also says it's busier in this off season, mostly Chinese. Many Chinese don't go drinking in bar girl bars or eat in restaurants on soi 94. One thing I have noticed is not as many foreigners sitting in front of 7/11's drinking beers so that's one plus. 

My girlfriend works at Market Village. She works solely on commission. Her cut was a little down from the last few months, but still not bad. But that's because at least half their customers, high and low season, are Thais.

i hope tourism at foreign stop longtime, thewn goverment see how important tourism have and how lot foreign move money to thailand busines eweryday. foreigns must stop all money move and business and tourism one year to thailand then idiot goverment immigration understand he bite feeder hand made all immigration idiot law new. and hope stop lips japanese and chinese <deleted> alltime, chinese made only lot problem to thailand and no good anywere world were has come. chinese must fight out of thailand whit africans people and no take back ewer, only foreign have good to thailand because have lot marry and busines and move money to thailand ewery month. all loser chineses,african,muslimes need keep out, we see europe what lot problem all 3th world idiot made to europe.

1 hour ago, Bundooman said:

I fail to see how Chinese nationals buying condos, helps the Thai economy.Surely the proceeds goes to the individuals or companies that own the condo? In turn, those Thais probably cheat like hell on their taxes and also, probably, spirit that money away into offshore accounts.

If that's an indication of the kind research you've carried out, the above post isn't worthy of much attention, is it?

Thai workers build the condos and buy the supplies from Thai companies.  Thai skilled trades finish the condos and it brings in new money to Thailand as opposed to already circulated money if sold to a Thai person.  When a Chinese buys a condo the impact of the money is 10 times greater than a local Thai.  Of course they pay taxes - submarines aren't free.  In my experience Thai builders put their money into other buildings - that's how they grow. 

https://work.chron.com/much-money-make-own-apartment-complex-15772.html

Archived