Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

I Stopped Looking At their Fake News About Figures As i See For My Self Bars Restos up for Sale All Over Pattaya and No One There And You Can Make Up Your Own mind No Need For Their False Figures. A Large Tiger Beer in Vietnam 30 Baht And In Pattaya Soi Buakhoa 80 baht For The Same beer in The Cheap Bars That Is And Food is Great Also in Vietnam Not Had Food Problems here Also  And Always a Smiling Face Like Thailand Was 15 Years Ago . GLUG GLUG GLUG THAILAND SINKING FAST NEARLY SUNK GREED HAS GOT THE BETTER OF THEM .

Edited by aspenbkk
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

yes well I know few people selling up and moving on 

its getting harder and harder to live here 

its the long stay people that suffer in the end 

I was shopping other day lady said to me another 3 of her best customers have come said good bye 

Edited by rossco1
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Bigstef said:

No one mentioned Pattaya nice beach and clean ocean water,katoys aggressions,taxi with no meter,restaurants that overbilling,nice big green parks....and the kindness of Thai drivers when you cross the street ???? I've been to Pattaya one time and it was enough for me,but I can understand single men that are going but even if I was single I would go somewhere else.....

Go a little further South.  Pattaya is for tourists. 

5 hours ago, Metapod said:

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

Goods in T/L are very cheap in  Thai Currency . It's your currency that makes it expensive. But your not helping matters by not spending your money in Australia.

2 hours ago, Barber said:

I was just in Thailand. Had the last part of my ( what turned out to be expensive) holiday spoiled by the last two day falling in to a alcohol ban period. I lived in Thailand for a few years and I do respect Thai culture. But is it really a good idea to subject a heavily tourist populated area like Pattaya, to a blanket ban. Wouldn’t it be a better idea to give special licences out to these areas.

Can you explain why it turned out to expensive and was it compared to last time?

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

You got that right my Thai friends give me a shopping list of items that are cheaper in Aust. To bring back to Thailand. It appears that the only cheap things here is street food and Thai hand crafts, rent of course and beer. Forget the rest. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

really ! none of my mates would agree with you, it may be cheaper but at what level !

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

I can only comment based on casual observation.  I live in Pattaya and it appears the traffic at Jomtien Beach, the stores, and customers in restaurants is way down from two years ago.  I suspect something might have to do with the more expensive baht but I saw this trend starting before the baht's surge.  I am a retiree so I can only comment on that versus a tourist but if they are making things as difficult for the tourist as they are the retiree, it is no wonder that people are choosing someplace else to vacation to. 

They aren't.  They are only making things difficult for the person who lives here and pretends to be a tourist. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Your currency is horrible not the exchange rate.  Where can you go and not get beaten down?  Turkey or Egypt I guess. 

It is true, it is more the Euro being made deliberately weak than the Baht being strong - still, the exchange rate is horrible. And I suspect some Thai people, influencial people, are not so unhappy about it, since it makes their own foreign investments more profitable.

• Sad 1

Just now, generealty said:

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW. Thailand will go down hill fast if they do not APPRECIATE tourists, as apposed to exploiting them.

They never did appreciate the tourists.  20 years ago same as today.  Less money less Brits.  Appreciation the same. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Grandisse said:

It is true, it is more the Euro being made deliberately weak than the Baht being strong - still, the exchange rate is horrible. And I suspect some Thai people, influencial people, are not so unhappy about it, since it makes their own foreign investments more profitable.

The reverse.  Rich people are hurt the most by the high baht because exports are down. 

4 minutes ago, tonysilly said:

Maybe if Thai people stop scamming the visitors things can get better.  Customer service is what keeps people coming back. People don't really care about paying money so long that the quality of service meets their expectations.. stop the scams!! Especially around the Grand Palace. 

I agree. And taxi scams. 200,300 Baat were the price is 60 Baat. Thonburi railway station, Khaosan Rd

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, uncleeagle said:

It was entirely legal, they were granted visas legally, they entered the country legally and they contributed hugely to the Thai economy without taking anything drom it. It is only the narrow minded idiocy of Thai immigration to randomly deem their behaviour somehow illegal. Instead of their mindless hostility in branding these people as criminals they should have been on their hands and knees begging them to keep on coming back.

You don't have the grasp of the situation that the Thai Immigration people do.  They do not want to become the retirement home for India and China as the middle classes in those two heavily populated countries get more money.