Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

11 minutes ago, pokerface1 said:

You got that right my Thai friends give me a shopping list of items that are cheaper in Aust. To bring back to Thailand. It appears that the only cheap things here is street food and Thai hand crafts, rent of course and beer. Forget the rest. 

House Australia 10 mil baht.  House Thailand 2 mil baht.  You only need one calculation.  Housing is always your largest budget item and always the one people avoid when trying to convince Thailand is expensive.  Fall back position is but but the craftsmanship .......... ha ha. 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, thenewgoo said:

From Chiang Mai I found flights to Vietnam were cheaper than to the Thai beaches. I thought it was low season? Hotels seem more expensive than ever.

Maybe in Vietnam but I found a ton of specials lasts weekend in Thailand while looking for family to visit.

3 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

From Chiang Mai I found flights to Vietnam were cheaper than to the Thai beaches. I thought it was low season? Hotels seem more expensive than ever.

Are you comparing price to Thai Currency of to your Countries.

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Taxi company I use for my biz was always somewhat arrogant but did the job so stuck with them.

the other week was going away myself, owner was crying how quite it is. 

Anyhow actual owner shows up , no hello of any kind, no assistance to put bag in the car . Not a single word on the way , no assistance taking bag out of the car .

did not want to keep quit, told him who I was, and he was not interested at all, not even a sorry.

Point is, there are less customers and locals provide even less service yet cry about not having customers .

not only that but happy to mistreat existing customers.and charge more .

was I a massive customer? No, but was giving them about 10-15 trips per week, now it’s done.

if that’s how he treats the owner, do not even want to think how he treated my customers 

I also vote with my money. Poor service = bad reviews and no return business. The good businesses will survive.

4 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

You nailed the over count issue—thanks. Will ad that some expats ( like me) travel back to home country 3-4 times a year.  So TAT counts me as 3-4 tourists every year.  What a farce.

What does your country count when Thais fly to Thailand 3-4 times a year?  Do they count them as tourists?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

You nailed the over count issue—thanks. Will ad that some expats ( like me) travel back to home country 3-4 times a year.  So TAT counts me as 3-4 tourists every year.  What a farce.

But you have left. And returned as a new tourist. Simple. They don't keep a file on people. 

Edited by Percy P

Don't worry they will get the Chinese and all countries back when Pattaya is turn into the next gambling destination, for the Chinese, like Sihanoukville has become. Pattaya has a port too that China would like to have troops near. Then that visa will be easier to get also. If not look for them extra long immigration lines. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Metapod said:

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

Blame your own currencies value.

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

Blame your own countries currency value.Thai currency has value .

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

That calculation would be: foreigners can't own land here. The house is usually part of the chanote. So the comparison makes little sense.

The price of rent and the price of housing for expats depends on the price of construction as you very well know.  I didn't say anything about the price of land anyway.  Farang can own a house or condo so the comparison makes perfect sense.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

Aside currency exchange, Thais themselves are finding it cheaper to spend holidays in Da nang, rather than domestic.

One of my Thai friends will just that in September.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

Thai goods are very cheap but not against your own Countries currency. So that the problem.

• Sad 1

If they are worried about Vietnam, wait until Myanmar opens up and gets going. Take a look at the map of the Myanmar coast - thousands of small islands. Of course it needs development and not least, investment. It may be a way off but Thailand needs to be prepared.

• Like 2

Thai goods are very cheap but not against your own Countries currency. So that the problem.

• Like 1