Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Landlord says I file the TM30 not him. He is too busy for that.

26 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You say at the beginning that if you are charged it comes out of the rent.

my landlord only needs to do it on the entry before my extension but i usually get her to do it when i first arrive plus my final border run. Works for us

In your case, if your landlord files for you, do you ever end up getting a copy of the mailed receipt that Immigration sends out or any other confirmation you can have in hand for the day you end up going to Immigration?

Last time I was at BKK CW Immigration a month ago for my retirement extension, the IO wanted a copy of my 90-day reporting slip AND a TM30 receipt, took both, photocopied them onto a single sheet in her cubicle, and then included that sheet in the pile of my application papers.

I had separate photocopies of both reporting receipts in my folder. But the IO took the originals of both out of my passport, and made her own photocopy combining the two onto a single sheet.

That's why I was wondering, if you have the landlord do it, what if anything do you have to show to Immigration?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, at15 said:

your going to be responsible for the fine no matter what the law says. thais are not obligated to rent condos and apartments to foreigners. in the future i predict no foreigners on tourist visas will be allowed to rent and there will be designated hotels were tourists are allowed to stay and that is it. 

That's how it works in Myanmar, need a business visa to rent a condo.

1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

i haven't seen an of official definiton of posessor anyhere, just posters' assumptions.  any link or reference available. 

The Immigration act, section 4 actually refers to this:

House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

In your case, if your landlord files for you, do you ever end up getting a copy of the mailed receipt that Immigration sends out or any other confirmation you can have in hand for the day you end up going to Immigration?

Last time I was at BKK CW Immigration a month ago for my retirement extension, the IO wanted a copy of my 90-day reporting slip AND a TM30 receipt, took both, photocopied them onto a single sheet in her cubicle, and then included that sheet in the pile of my application papers.

I had separate photocopies of both reporting receipts in my folder. But the IO took the originals of both out of my passport, and made her own photocopy combining the two onto a single sheet.

That's why I was wondering, if you have the landlord do it, what if anything do you have to show to Immigration?

There is no receipt provided when she registers me online but what she does is take a photo of the screen for me and sends it to me via Line. Immigration haven't asked for it though, when i go for an extension i get sent into room 10 Jomtien, i say my landlord registers me online, then they check on the computer, find it and say ok

23 minutes ago, sumrit said:

The Immigration act, section 4 actually refers to this:

House Master ” means any persons who is the chief possessor of a house , whether in the capacity of
owner , tenant , or in any other capacity whatsoever , in accordance with the law on people act.

thank you, i book marked the act itself.

24 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
46 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There is no receipt provided when she registers me online but what she does is take a photo of the screen for me and sends it to me via Line. Immigration haven't asked for it though, when i go for an extension i get sent into room 10 Jomtien, i say my landlord registers me online, then they check on the computer, find it and say ok

Is Room 10 in Jomtien the place for them issuing/handling TM30s?

In BKK, you definitely DON'T want to get sent off to the TM30 counter, because it typically has long queues, and waiting there is only going to delay the processing of your extension application, which means you're going to end up spending even longer than necessary at Immigration, meaning, probably much of the day.

Is Room 10 in Jomtien the place for them issuing/handling TM30s?

In BKK, you definitely DON'T want to get sent off to the TM30 counter, because it typically has long queues, and waiting there is only going to delay the processing of your extension application, which means you're going to end up spending even longer than necessary at Immigration, meaning, probably much of the day.

At Jomtien you don't have a choice, you go for a tourist extension and they send you to the TM30 room 10 first and yes it's usually busy with people not having a clue what's going on

15 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If someone rents a house and the owners dont live here and the owner is a farang who would do it then? 

The tennant, as the possesor of the house.

2 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Not everyone checked their balls and self esteem at the airport.

Actually, Have not seen an airport for the last 18 years, and checked recently that all my parts were still with me.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, IraqRon said:

are you a moderator? and what bothers you about my post?

No, I´m not. Just tried to explain to you that it has been written so many times that it must be considered almost impossible to not have any knowledge about.

3 hours ago, 3421abc said:

I just got into a heated argument with the agent who rented the condo to me. She says owner will just provide the documents and I have to do it myself. I told her this is something the owner is suppose to do, not me. I told her I will not do it and I will just tell that to immigration and the owner will have to pay a fine. <deleted> is this they just throw me all this work for something they have the obligation to do. Just want to collect the rent money from the foreigner and be sabai sabai.

I am not doing his work. I am tired of taking s^%T from them and be just cool about it. 

Can't understand why you're making such a big deal about it.

Firstly, the owner, landlord, agent and YOU are all equally responsible for filing a TM30.

BUT, during their normal everyday lives the others are not required to attend immigration, assuming you have to go to immigration at some point (extensions, etc), you are. With you actually at Immigration, who do you think the IO will fine?

And secondly, by wanting the owner/agent to do the reports you have got to contact them each and every time you stay away from your home, even if it's just overnight. It's bad enough having to inform Immigration, do you really want to have to inform the owner/agent about your every move as well?

3 hours ago, Matzzon said:

The law also states the pocessorof the residence can do it as well as the landlord. Please read the law.

It does say that in the English version of the law and I also take that to mean that once a tenant takes over a unit they have to report foreign occupants.  

How is a landlord even supposed to know who is coming and going and whether a tenant has been out of country or out of province.  

The law is an ass. But surely one can’t pass blame to the landlord for that. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, teutonian said:

It does say that in the English version of the law and I also take that to mean that once a tenant takes over a unit they have to report foreign occupants.  

How is a landlord even supposed to know who is coming and going and whether a tenant has been out of country or out of province.  

The law is an ass. But surely one can’t pass blame to the landlord for that. 

The system and the law really sucks big time. Just think about thta you would travel around 4-8 times a year. Then the landlord must check everyday to see when you come back and report new TM30 4-8 times a year. It just doesn´t work.

To have a working system, this obligation should be only on the foreigner that has to report every time hh/she comes back.

50 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If someone rents a house and the owners dont live here and the owner is a farang who would do it then? 

I was in that position recently and was advised here one potential route was to ask the juristic office if they could do it.  I didn't pursue it as I didn't need to go to immigration, but I'm back again next week and will be in the same position.

I think if the owner is a farang he'll have a yellow book (?) and maybe a chanote and if you can get signed copies of these you may be able to register to file yourself.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

My landlord did it and sent me a photo of the TM30 receipt 

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Take the responsibility yourself. You know when you're coming and going.

Get signed copies of your landlord's tabien ban page and Thai ID once upfront and keep plenty of photocopies of them, and then armed with that info and your own docs, you can either file the TM30 by mail and/or file it online.

And then you don't have to worry about missing a TM30 or the landlord or potential Immigration fines/hassles any more.

Or live in another country where  you are not treated as a hindrance or taking for granted. I moved after more that a decade in LOS and love it. PS Thai apologist, I have a lot of money. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, treetops said:

I was in that position recently and was advised here one potential route was to ask the juristic office if they could do it.  I didn't pursue it as I didn't need to go to immigration, but I'm back again next week and will be in the same position.

I think if the owner is a farang he'll have a yellow book (?) and maybe a chanote and if you can get signed copies of these you may be able to register to file yourself.

My condo landlord tried to get the juristic office to do it and they forgot or didn’t know how or didn’t want. She ended going to immigration herself. In Bangkok you can self file if you bring your lease and enter your name on the TM30 form as the possessor.

1 minute ago, Martyp said:

My condo landlord tried to get the juristic office to do it and they forgot or didn’t know how or didn’t want. She ended going to immigration herself. In Bangkok you can self file if you bring your lease and enter your name on the TM30 form as the possessor.

Unfortunately I won't have a lease as it's through a "friend of a friend" arrangement otherwise that could be a solution for me too if the juristic office refuses.

8 hours ago, rjwill01 said:

Bullshit. Follow the law. Law says landlord or his agent files tm30...

According to section 30 of the Immigration Act one of the following must submit the notification of arrival of a foreigner at a private residence:

1. House-Master = tenant (see section 4 for definition)
2. Owner = owner
3. Possessor = tenant

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Get signed copies of your landlord's tabien ban page and Thai ID

Why need the tabian ban? The ID should have his address. What is the use of Tabian ban? Should it not be chonte of the condo to prove that he really owns the condo?

Edited by onera1961