Immigration checking bank accounts? Officers undergo training in "money laundering"

webfact

Immigration checking bank accounts? Officers undergo training in "money laundering"

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

An Immigration seminar in Pattaya was training officers in how to spot money laundering and how they could apply the law. 

Thaivisa notes that this comes at a time when immigration has been trying to root out agents who arrange long stay visas for foreigners with money in bogus bank accounts.

Hundreds of immigration officers attended the seminar in Bang Lamung chaired by force bigwig Lt-Gen Suwat Chaengyortsuk. 

6pm2.jpg

Picture: Sophon Cable TV

Sophon Cable TV said on Facebook that it was designed to increase the efficiency of officers in spotting financial irregularities and understanding what they can do according to the law. 

The "ongoing training" would help immigration with more modern methods in detecting crime both today and into the future. 

The public were reminded again how to contact immigration to report offences by going to their Suan Phlu, Bangkok HQ or calling the 1178 hotline. 

Sophon made no mention about any specific cases connected to the training seminar. 

Source: Sophon Cable TV

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-24

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, webfact said:

The "ongoing training" would help immigration with more modern methods in detecting crime both today and into the future. 

Like using their time and effort to kick out the real criminals and spend less time harassing expats.

Another tool in their tool box to screw with you. Leave the money laundering investigation to the professional, not immigration. Not their job.

Like giving a 10 year old training on a nuclear reactor and expecting a good outcome.

I would put to them to be trained to check the accounts of their highly questionable and corrupt both official and business people countrymen and women first, where they will, no doubt, find a hell of a lot 'unexplained wealth' to report than those of most of the foreigners living in Thailand...

I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to root out the fraudulent 'immigration agents'. Simply ask to see their clients bank passbook.

But just a mo. aren't I overlooking something?

13 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

"Thaivisa notes that this comes at a time when immigration has been trying to root out agents who arrange long stay visas for foreigners with money in bogus bank accounts."

These agents wouldn't have anything to do with the agents TV members use to get their visa extensions for between 14,000-25,000 baht with no money in the bank, certainly...

If I needed to use these methods to extend my permission to stay I wouldn't be stating that fact on these pages, nevertheless I read about it on almost a daily basis. IMO it's only a matter of time and I do hope people that are ensnared in this don't get charged also with the facilitation of corruption. 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that this comes at a time when immigration has been trying to root out agents who arrange long stay visas for foreigners with money in bogus bank accounts.

And yet as it become more and more difficult to play by the rules, we are consistently reminded by our fellow TV members that using agents is "hassle free" and no need to worry about pesky little issues like money in the bank or income letters.  
Perhaps they should turn a critical eye on their own IOs.  Well, when pork takes wing.  

2 hours ago, webfact said:

no chance they will find anything wrong.. the fox is guarding the hen house

more chance of finding prostitution in pattaya, a few may be hung out to dry but nothing of substance will happen

4 minutes ago, connda said:

And yet as it become more and more difficult to play by the rules, we are consistently reminded by our fellow TV members that using agents is "hassle free" and no need to worry about pesky little issues like money in the bank or income letters.  
Perhaps they should turn a critical eye on their own IOs.  Well, when pork takes wing.  

no-one would be in this situation (new rules nightmares) if immigration had cleaned their own house in the first place, but as i said in my last post it's not gonna happen. vested interests, the thai way of always targetting the demand rather than the supply and the fact that the agents must be paying someone on the inside or it couldn't happen!

2 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Another tool in their tool box to screw with you. Leave the money laundering investigation to the professional, not immigration. Not their job.

Like giving a 10 year old training on a nuclear reactor and expecting a good outcome.

You hit the nail on the head. Now every regional chief, every office chief and every officer will think they're experts on anti money laundering, know more than the banks, and start dreaming up convoluted overly bureaucratic ways in which to catch these dastardly foreigners polluting Thailand. 

Obviously they don't think banks check. Clearly haven't ever tried to transfer money, open and overseas account or even simply maintain being an expat customer themselves!

However , fearing this news might impact negatively on the expat community the seminar goes under the slogan :

' Don't worry expats be, happy ! "

We will launder your money for you in a thousand and one ways.

For those of you who are making jokes about this news report, I would politely suggest that no-one would hold a training program such as this unless they proposed to use that training for a purpose.  Holding seminars etc costs time and money.

Immigration officers are responsible for managing the issue of visas for foreigners, which in many cases involves proof of funds and/or proof of source of funds etc.  Think about it.

For those who do not have the 400/800 k baht for their visa extension, and who use an agent to 'circumvent' the system, I'd be worried...

Archived