Refused entry and thrown in a cell

I have just terminated my work permit and left Phuket to fly in and out of Phuket to KL same day with my wife.

Upon arrival (in a suit) I handed my passport to the immigration officer who directed me to a small room, my Wife had sailed through I was told I did not have a visa and must return to KL. it was a Friday

The immigration officers were very nice but my extension was refused and once my passport was stamped that was it. No point Arguing the toss. I was handed a piece of paper and the official reason was ‘unable to financially support oneself) despite me showing my 80k/ month rental contract!

I was led to a room with a bunk bed and a dirty towel for a blanket. Sink and shower and locked in. The security guard was very helpful and I gave him some money to buy me some provisions from 7/-111. At 1030 my cell door was opened and I had to purchase a return ticket to KL. 

As it was the weekend I had to book a hotel for 5 days. 

Picked up my tourist visa on Tuesday and my 90 days was stamped for 60.

So, my friends - aBe aware the KL in/out same day does not guarantee you re- entry. Also can I do anything about my 90 day visa being stamped for 60?

many thanks and safe travels 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Believe 60 is what you get and you can extend for 30 or go out in get another 60 ( maybe land border better? ) and then extend 2nd 60 for another 30 at Imm for 1900 baht then maybe also 60 day to 'visit your wife'

Better answers will be posted I'm sure detailing the extensions to your 90 day visa.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Believe 60 is what you get and you can extend for 30 or go out in get another 60 ( maybe land border better? ) and then extend 2nd 60 for another 30 at Imm for 1900 baht then maybe also 60 day to 'visit your wife'

Better answers will be posted I'm sure detailing the extensions to your 90 day visa.

That's great advice thanks. I am in Phuket so would you suggest in terms of a land border crossing? Is it just a case of in and out ? Thanks in advance.. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They probably assumed that you go back to work, just without having the correct visa. Do you always make holiday in a suit?

If you want to enter as a tourist, the most important thing is probably that you should look like one.

What do you mean by "extension was refused"? When you finish your job your extension to stay ends. What's your nationality?

A tourist visa always gives you 60 days, not 90.

Did you sign the paper which they asked you to sign?

Good point regarding the suit. I had worn it at KL immigration as they are quite conservative. I am British. I had the extension of stay refused which I think just means that I could not stay for a further 30 days. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jaffacakes1 said:

That's great advice thanks. I am in Phuket so would you suggest in terms of a land border crossing? Is it just a case of in and out ? Thanks in advance.. 

I'm not familiar with that neck of the woods so really don't know.

Might be possible to Malaysia by train but don't quote me. One night stay may be required.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jaffacakes1 said:

Good point regarding the suit. I had worn it at KL immigration as they are quite conservative. I am British. I had the extension of stay refused which I think just means that I could not stay for a further 30 days. 

Your extension of stay was cancelled together with your work permit. You never even had a chance to extend it or use a multiple entry document.

11 minutes ago, jaffacakes1 said:

Has anyone else been refused by going to KL in the morning and returning in the afternoon? Am wondering if they are clamping down on that. The reason given for my refusal did not make sense to me.

Been quite often to KL. In and out of the country under 1 hour. Noone ever bothered. My flights were from DMK tough and the last one was in April. So guess things might have changed now.

24 minutes ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

Yes these days is better to bring a extra clothing in the hand luggage, sleeping bag, pillow, fully charged power bank for the mobile, small notes to bribe the wardens with etc. What a f.....g way to treat your guests, and than they cries like greedy babies when the numbers of visitors to the country goes down 6.02%. 

I honestly doubt very much if any first time or once a year  tourist from UK  EU  USA etc has been rejected entry when coming for a 4 week holiday even on visa exempt. Unless they turn up looking like a bag of sh-t tied around the middle with an old rope.

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

OP, what exactly was your basis for staying in Thailand during the time you had your work permit?  Marriage extension, business-employment visa, other?

The one part I'm not following here is even if your permission to stay ended with the cancellation of your work permit (an employment visa would end, a marriage extension would not), why you weren't able to re-enter Thailand subsequently on a visa-exempt entry?

Some still don't understand visas extensions of stay etc and may assume a one year extension of stay is as they often call it a visa. Friend lost his extension when returning from a meeting in Korea because he didn't know he needed a re-entry permit.

Sh-t happens.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Friend lost his extension when returning from a meeting in Korea because he didn't know he needed a re-entry permit.

So in that situation, assuming your friend was from an eligible country, wouldn't he then have been entitled at least to a visa exempt entry? 

I don't know what Immigration's policy is re visa exempt entries when someone has....

--botched an extension due to not having an re-entry permit, or

--lost their business status due to loss of employment.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

27 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Some still don't understand visas extensions of stay etc and may assume a one year extension of stay is as they often call it a visa. Friend lost his extension when returning from a meeting in Korea because he didn't know he needed a re-entry permit.

Sh-t happens.

My extension stamp actually has a warning in English to that effect.

• Like 1

I am sorry for what happened to you. It shows all of us the importance of using land borders with certain criteria. Not the first one after working, trying to come back visa-exempt, to get denied.

I really do not understand their policy. Phuket is now like BKK DMK airports.

As for the suit, I would suggest the middle way. When I arrive I usually wear normal Jeans/clean long trousers and a polo shirt. So I do not look like a sexpat but a suit in my humble opinion is too much, esp. when you (visa-visa) enter for holiday-purposes. Is that really necessary in KUL because you wrote they are conservative?

Wish you all the best with your next entry (preferably via land border).

• Like 2