Overseas Thai workers unable to pay debts back home due to baht plunge

webfact

1 hour ago, webfact said:

which has seen one US dollar fetching only Bt22 – a large drop over the usual Bt30 rate.

51 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

The woman was working in Canada. 22 baht sounds about right

Ok, ok, ok, so it was the Canadian USD.

• Haha 2

Ah Crap! 

I thought it was almost music to my ears. 

If it were true it be like being Laos 

8000 kip for a can of ice coffee. ????

Although I recall the Canadian dollar at one stage quite some time ago was higher than the U.S. dollar only for a brief moment of time. 

I am always watching U.S. currency

Damn!

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

One can only hope with the continue gross incompetency of this administration, combined with the dramatic decline in tourism, that the baht eventually corrects itself, and assumes it's rightful place at a far lower rate than it currently occupies! 

It will happen, it's only a matter of time before they act, that or watch the recession kick in and the baht plumitt, that is when we xpats will go back to a better quality of life here, while those who have been riding it, eventually start to come back to earth.

As far as Thai workers working overseas, they make about 4 times what they make here, minus say a weeks wages per month to cover their costs, still ahead, all they have to do is send the basic amount home and hang onto the rest until the baht drops as we all do, e.g. transfer the basic amount here until our own currency climbs back up, which it will therefore saving us a lot of potential losses.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

to address the fall in the value of baht currency, which has seen one US dollar fetching only Bt22 – a large drop over the usual Bt30 rate.

Worst reporting ever. The baht didn't fall in value, it rose in value making other currencies fall in value compared to it. And one US dollar fetches you 30-31 baht, not 22. Perhaps they are confusing US dollar with Australian dollar which is around 21-22 baht. Not hard to Google fact-check these things...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Angry Dragon said:

What metrics can you cite that shows the THB is overvalued? 

20-30% drop in tourism, as a good start. Current account recorded a DEFICIT of 380mil USD in May - the surplus is gone - probably will get worse as the currency appreciated even further since. Realistically the baht is probably 20-30% overpriced, if not more.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhonThong said:

Someone is really ripping them off.  The USD today is at 30.89 baht. 

I am guessing they sending it back via western union which gives crappy rate and also charges high fees so it may in the end work out to be 30% less than the actual rate

There are soo many wrongs in this article. I will be waiting for the revised one.

Baht falling? US dollar 22 baht? Workers abroad can´t pay their debts back home? Mean they borrow soo much over their means so that they not even can pay back the money with a higher salury in a foreign country?