ground water

Hello all-I would like to ask any one with knowledge regarding the costs to drill for the above. The area is Chat Rakan district of Phitsanulok Province. The area is hilly/mountainous but there is good ground water to be had,the problem is my wife's sister can not afford it at present so I would like to help them. Any one with costs per meter,pump etc please let me know. I realise the information on geology is sketchy but I have no knowledge of it. They are growing corn,rice and mulberry for silk. Any and all help appreciated.

wazza

While I was back in Australia in April my missus got a bore put in here and she says it cost around B55,000 and she brought the pump about B15000, I don't know if the pump cost is included in the 55k or not.  I believe the bore is about 60m deep and the water is good. She has connected the pump to 6 of those 1m3 bulk containers (so approx. 6000L) and they get filled in just over 2 hours. She connected the bore pump to a couple of floating switches (mercury switches I think) so that the "tanks" are always full.

Hope that helps, but please be aware that the numbers could be all wrong as sometimes getting information is difficult

Wazzadg44

We are in Buriram near Nang Rong just off Hwy 24.

When she built our house she had a bore put in as well and it cost under B20K but it was only 30m deep and uses a suction pump on top to pump out the water. That was back in 2010.

We have another bore at the old house about 50m from both the others and I don't know how much it cost but it only went down 6m and it has run dry along with a lot of others around the village.

I went for a ride (motorbike)  the other day through the village and passed the main water storage dam/hole it is huge but for the first time in nearly 20 years I seen most of the bottom. They have had to put an excavator in it to dig channels to allow the water to flow to the pump intakes to get water for the village. 

Our water table was about 3 metres, now who knows. The bores in our village are drilled/dug by hand. A guy with a few bamboo poles, lengths of water pipe and an auger arrives with all that on his shoulder riding a motorbike. 

I had one dug some years ago. It was sunk 15 metres with a 4inch liner down the first 4 metres or so. I draw water from 9 metres. Total cost for the bore, the liner and labour was under 2,000 baht. 

On some new land last week drilling for water, we reached the water table at 60 metres. Going back a few days later, the missus lowered rods and found water at 4 metres. Excuse my ignorance,  but I assume the water was under pressure deep down, under rock or thick soil, and the pipe to open air released that pressure.

My question is: with the water at 4 metres, we wouldn't have to use a submersible pump, but would regular pumping lower the pressure down at 60 metres, and consequently lower the accessible level of water?

Or is it impossible to calculate these factors from the surface?!

11 hours ago, bannork said:

On some new land last week drilling for water, we reached the water table at 60 metres. Going back a few days later, the missus lowered rods and found water at 4 metres. Excuse my ignorance,  but I assume the water was under pressure deep down, under rock or thick soil, and the pipe to open air released that pressure.

My question is: with the water at 4 metres, we wouldn't have to use a submersible pump, but would regular pumping lower the pressure down at 60 metres, and consequently lower the accessible level of water?

Or is it impossible to calculate these factors from the surface?!

I would say your water table has always been at 4 meters and your bore was punched down to 60 meters. This is a stander for my area as I have 3 bores like this. Our water table through the community is at 3 to 4 meters. We only have 1 deep submergible the other two are above ground.

Taken on face value, you have a 56m column of water standing on top of the 60m water table. Depending on the diameter of the bore you can calculate how many litres of water that is. Divide that by the X-section area of the bore (sq cm) and you have the pressure at the base of the column in Kg/sq cm. 

Probably stuffed this up but with coffee in one hand and a calulator in the other, and assuming a 4" bore, I get about 5.6 Kg/sqcm.

10 hours ago, khwaibah said:

I would say your water table has always been at 4 meters and your bore was punched down to 60 meters. This is a stander for my area as I have 3 bores like this. Our water table through the community is at 3 to 4 meters. We only have 1 deep submergible the other two are above ground.

But then why did the drill not release the water at 4 metres on its way down to the 60 metres?

This is to guaranty water as the table is that deep. Cashing included on price and that was only about 20 meters. Those who only went down 20, 30, or 40 feet are having to sink a new bore as some water tables have dropped with this draught.

23 hours ago, IsaanAussie said:

Taken on face value, you have a 56m column of water standing on top of the 60m water table. Depending on the diameter of the bore you can calculate how many litres of water that is. Divide that by the X-section area of the bore (sq cm) and you have the pressure at the base of the column in Kg/sq cm. 

Probably stuffed this up but with coffee in one hand and a calulator in the other, and assuming a 4" bore, I get about 5.6 Kg/sqcm.

You are correct, but the rule of thumb is 1.0 barG per 10m water head. So 56m equates to 5.6 barG, forget the x-sectional area calc.

The easiest way to calculate pressure at the bottom of a volume of fluid is the weight of the fluid in ppg x .052 x true vertical depth in feet. Assuming fresh water is 8.4ppg ( this differs in different parts of the world) and 56 mtrs is approx 183 feet. Then you have 8.4 x .052 x 183 = 79.9 PSI at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Slugs11 said:

The easiest way to calculate pressure at the bottom of a volume of fluid is the weight of the fluid in ppg x .052 x true vertical depth in feet. Assuming fresh water is 8.4ppg ( this differs in different parts of the world) and 56 mtrs is approx 183 feet. Then you have 8.4 x .052 x 183 = 79.9 PSI at the bottom.

How is that easier than dividing 56 by 10?

Covert to psi (if you have to) by multiplying by 14.504

• 2 weeks later...

We are in hilly country of Phetchabun. Here the good water is about 100m down. A registered borehole with 5 000 lph Franklin pump and control panel will cost about B 120 k. The borehole will be gauranteed at 5 000 lph for 2 years. If unregistered the price come down to about B 90 k. In the bottom of the farm we got water at 30 m and with 1,5kw Franklin pump it cost us B 50 k. Be warned you get many cowboys in this field. They would promise and not deliver and a gaurantee will mean nothing.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/26/2019 at 8:53 AM, wazzadg44 said:

Hello all-I would like to ask any one with knowledge regarding the costs to drill for the above. The area is Chat Rakan district of Phitsanulok Province. The area is hilly/mountainous but there is good ground water to be had,the problem is my wife's sister can not afford it at present so I would like to help them. Any one with costs per meter,pump etc please let me know. I realise the information on geology is sketchy but I have no knowledge of it. They are growing corn,rice and mulberry for silk. Any and all help appreciated.

All I can say is its EXTREMELY  variable, I paid 150k for TWO wells  70 metres  deep and thats  just the  hole  drilling only NOTHING else. No water NO  pay

1 hour ago, gunderhill said:

In Thailand I throw  away  all guarantees as they are  usually  worthless

If on paper yes. We drilled our first hole and the local drill guy gauranteed 5000 lph for 2 years. After drilling we got 3500 lph. He drilled a second hole and we got 15 000 lph. If you use cowboys that travel around you are in great danger. If you use a local guy or a government registered driller you are more safe.

Archived