Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

20 hours ago, Lucky100 said:

Try getting.your thai wife a visa for australia or nz, you'll soon find out racist and obstructive immigration are then, try being a person of colour going through their customs!!

Which color.

Show me a person who has no color.  A person with albinism?  I imagine a person with albinism might object to being singled out like that. 

Oh, and is a person of color distinct from a colored person?

Reckon we've all been colored one hue/shade or another.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, mfd101 said:

I can understand the practical side of that, but it seems like a terrible way to live, and an awful psychology: No commitment, so no real love, and always waiting for the evil moment ... Like living in a permanent state of war (Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq ... ).

I agree!  It is.  But he is designed for that life style.  Doesn't much care.  He'll just leave everything for the wife and go back to the US.  He said he's almost had it with immigration. 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:43 AM, lkv said:

Well Marcus, i never lived in Thailand.

But I did travel into Thailand for extended periods of time, say 10 months out of 12, between 2011 and 2019.

It was not a personal attack, the point I was making was, maybe the Florida you remember from XYZ years ago, is not the same Florida of today, and the same goes for Vietnam.

Things change and they become more balanced.

Now, don't get me wrong, never been to Florida, so I will not comment on particular cases, and I am not in a rush to establish myself in Vietnam, but countries do change in time. Some for the better some for the worse.

Just like Thailand of 2019 is not Thailand of 2011. In my opinion, and many others' opinion,  it's been going in the wrong direction.

Now, you will say that it's all good great, positive changes, bad guys out etc, and I will say to you it has been run by an anti foreigner nationalistic corrupt Junta that Thais themselves complain about.

And we can have this never ending argument if you wish.

We moved back from Thailand to Florida in 2014. My wife and I both absolutely love it! 2:20 minute hop to Aruba and many other great Caribbean Islands. Extremely cheap fares.

It is just like anywhere in the world. There are good spots and bad. Florida is no exception. If you have the money, you can live somewhere pretty exceptional; just like anywhere else in the world.

If you don't have money, well, it is the same all over the world.

Doesn't mean the whole state is bad.

11 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

We moved back from Thailand to Florida in 2014. My wife and I both absolutely love it! 2:20 minute hop to Aruba and many other great Caribbean Islands. Extremely cheap fares.

It is just like anywhere in the world. There are good spots and bad. Florida is no exception. If you have the money, you can live somewhere pretty exceptional; just like anywhere else in the world.

If you don't have money, well, it is the same all over the world.

Doesn't mean the whole state is bad.

The only reason I posted about Florida was to demonstrate why off topic posting should be avoided.  This thread is about Thailand.  - Why you live in Thailand.  Not about why you live in Florida.  I don't give a c### about Florida.  I left Florida after living there 20 years.  It's nothing compared to Thailand and that's why I live in Thailand.  Why do you live in Thailand?  I am reading this thread to find out why people live in Thailand not why people live in Crackerland.  

Sorry I don't see posting 180 degrees opposite can possibly be on topic.  If I post a topic about how women are abused I would not expect men to take over the thread and tell about they are not abused and that is the same as what you are doing.  

Living in a nice flat with a swimming pool right next to the underground station with girls on tap, great food and an interesting life? You're right I should go back to the UK, to be a young single male trying to get on a housing list and managing to get through the monotonous 9 to 5 without topping myself. I'll stay here as long as I can, despite it's flaws, I'm not jaded yet and I love this country.

22 hours ago, ericthai said:

And you just noticed all this after 6 years??  As for paying more for street food, come on 5-10 baht more is a problem? 

There is double pricing in the USA. Take example amusement parks typically offer residents in those states a special price.

You want to be treated as a Thai? really?? I dont think you want that....

Residents of that state or area is the difference. If you are a foreigner living in that state do you get charged more than the citizens?

On 7/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, marcusarelus said:

Price of housing is less than 1/3 of what I would spend in America so we've been able to pay off a house loan in 10 years.  My wife has a good job here as an engineer with Samsung and I doubt if she could duplicate her pay in America.  Health care is better and I get it it paid for by VA.  I moved my money here 15 years ago and the interest rate and currency appreciation has done well.  No body bothers me here.  I don't like the American government.  Thai people are fun to watch.  I like the food and Australian wine is reasonable.  I make my own ham and pizza.  

Whoaaaaa .... just one minute ... that's an amzing statement you made "Health care is better and I get it it paid for by VA" just how do you manage to get your health care in Thailand paid for by US VA ??????????? neat trick if it's true

18 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Residents of that state or area is the difference. If you are a foreigner living in that state do you get charged more than the citizens?

If you dont have a State ID with local address, then yes you do.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:16 AM, darksidedog said:

So, been here quite a long time. As with anywhere new its a fresh adventure, while after time complacency does tend to breed contempt.

No longer with the wife, son now 19 and moved out to live with his girlfriend.

The biggest thing tying me to Thailand right now, is that cute looking fella in my avatar, to the left of this post.

He is getting a bit long in the tooth to consider moving him abroad. He has lived all his life in a 5km radius, though he has also been abroad as much as a goodly chunk of our posters. The vet thinks his traveling days are best considered finished.

Mine though might not be.

For me, it isn't so much that immigration is getting tougher, because for me, as for many others, it hasn't been.

The weakness of the Pound weighs heavily, though there seems to be a perception emanating from the authorities, that while we were very welcome when we first came, that welcome is diminishing fast.

I am not ready to up and leave, but for the first time since I made the decision to move here, I am now seriously starting to evaluate other options.

Thailand is not what it was when many of us came, though I am still very happy I chose to come. Time will tell if the master ends up his days in the same Wat as the hound will, but I wouldn't place big money on that right now.

I think you'd be amazed how many farangs do indeed stay because of attachment to their pets, and very little else.

There was a thread a while back where some guy was saying he'd leave in a heartbeat but he couldn't bear to leave his 5 dogs.

I totally get that sentiment. We shipped our cat back to the US and it cost an arm and leg. But I could never have left her.

At best I 'might' have been able to find someone to feed her, but love her...No way

On 7/29/2019 at 10:38 PM, adam1948 said:

Whoaaaaa .... just one minute ... that's an amzing statement you made "Health care is better and I get it it paid for by VA" just how do you manage to get your health care in Thailand paid for by US VA ??????????? neat trick if it's true

I had the same question.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:44 PM, SteveK said:

I must say the same thing. I came here because I learned to love Thai culture after visiting many years ago. Now the situation has become so toxic, that I would run a mile, if it weren't for the fact that I am married to a lovely Thai lady. If I was single I would get my shit together and leave the country ASAP. If my wife and I have a serious argument, or if anything happens to her, I am going to be on a plane to either Vietnam or the Philippines the same day.

90 day reports, TM30, spurious visa requirements - all foreigners in Thailand are treated as criminals. It's a very bad thing to say but sometimes I wish that I had not married a Thai.

couldn't summarize this better! 100% agree.

in my opinion, thailand has lost it charm couple of years ago.. the main reasons as far as i can see:

1. way too many tourists.

2. locals became greedy.

3. very corrupted & unwelcoming bureaucracy 

that's the top 3 in a random order from the top of my head

Archived