Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

7 minutes ago, Tomahawk21 said:

yes, ladies. sex friends the same as the rest of us 

But he said: 

3 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Sex tourist is not really a useful phrase in understanding Thais, travellers and the interactions that exist between them. Its a convenient but lazy, judgementtal term,  rather like druggie or prostitute. It says more about the user of the phrase than the subject ir person being described.

So that maybe has a deeper meaning. Do you perhaps understand what he was trying to say?

He advised me to read books and document myself more.

Edited by lkv

In one word: Pussy.

In two words: Cheap Pussy.

The day it becomes a struggle to find cheap pussy around the block, I'm outta here.

2 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

In one word: Pussy.

In two words: Cheap Pussy.

The day it becomes a struggle to find cheap pussy around the block, I'm outta here.

You Sir, are probably in the majority ....

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Parsve said:

The right word is farrang, and from the beginning it was a word to describe people from France. If you talk to educated thai people they all say farrang, but if you talk with "lower class" they will say fallangs as r is difficult to pronounce for them. So the answer is there is no right or wrong, it depends on what class of thais you used to be with.

Most of my conversations would be with shop assistants, waitresses, receptonists and the like who tend to look askance if you pronounce the r as an r.

Likewise in the pharmacy when purchasing antacil I need to pronounce the l as an n or they are lost.

I am sure you will find that as in most countries the lesser educated are the majority in Thailand. The literacy levels on here are a good example of general standards. I am not including non NES, their phraseology makes them easy to identify.

7 hours ago, emptypockets said:

So why do you have LOS and Oz as your location under you avatar? Just another dreamer or wannabe? Or has been. Plenty around. Don't feel bad mate - be honest - you'll get more respect.

I have LOS and OZ because I lived in Thailand for many years (Ratchaburi)

and just haven't changed it but if it makes you happy I will delete it 

I just got my retirement extension 1900b for a year great value imho my only problem is the drop in the oz exchange rate,last night had a great night listening to music in the company of some lovely ladies and a 1hr massage for less than 2000b try doing that in Australia!

I'm like a lot of guys who've posted here, After sorting through a whole lot of applicants for the position of Thai GF, I met a nice, caring, intelligent, beautiful Thai lady. Someone from a farm in the heartland. After seven years together, I married her. Forget that she's half my age. If she left me tomorrow and kept all my Thai assets, I'd still be happy I had the time with her. But, I'd also be like that guy who would be on the next plane to Vietnam or the P.I. Being retire doesn't mean I'm tired. Leave Thailand to the Thais being Thais. For the time being, I just grin and bear it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lucky100 said:

Try getting.your thai wife a visa for australia or nz, you'll soon find out racist and obstructive immigration are then, try being a person of colour going through their customs!!

Took me all of six hours to do to get my wife a multiple 12 month entry visa to Australia. Six hours of me just doing paperwork and a hour submitting the paperwork. When we got the visa,  It even had the NO FURTHER STAY omitted, so in fact,  she could have applied for a bridging visa in Australia without ever having to leave again. 

Took the same amount of time for me to prepare my Marriage extension but it took two days to get an appointment at immigration and 14 hours of waiting.

2 hours ago, stubby52 said:

I just got my retirement extension 1900b for a year great value imho my only problem is the drop in the oz exchange rate,last night had a great night listening to music in the company of some lovely ladies and a 1hr massage for less than 2000b try doing that in Australia!

2000 baht? either that's a typo with an extra zero, or more information is needed from you. Vicarious pleasure is one of TV's sine qua non.

As others say, I also love Thailand but it is not the place to be sick. I have a easy life here; most mornings are spent around the pool, doing my kilometer of swimming, teaching my wife to swim better and then having coffee, lunch followed by book reading, internet time, followed by a afternoon walk, dinner and Netflix or a movie most nights. I like to paint,  so I paint when I have time. My wife works, we have a good relationship and life is good. 

Still this lifestyle when coupled with illness cost money. I spend around 8,000 baht a month on doctors and medication. I have lost 12,000 baht a month from currency drops. So it is like 20,000 a month I have lost just for a start. 20,000 a month back home in Australia is my grocery bill. All my doctors bills and medical expenses are bulk billed. My lifestyle is the same in Australia. Like others here, my life is pretty good but looking at it on a financial side, I am going backwards. My insurance premiums here are just increasing each year and I cannot tell if they will ever reneg on a payment. It is hard now to say whatever is the best. Chiang Mai and it's smokey season sucks. I wish I had a answer for all of this. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

As others say, I also love Thailand but it is not the place to be sick. I have a easy life here; most mornings are spent around the pool, doing my kilometer of swimming, teaching my wife to swim better and then having coffee, lunch followed by book reading, internet time, followed by a afternoon walk, dinner and Netflix or a movie most nights. I like to paint,  so I paint when I have time. My wife works, we have a good relationship and life is good. 

Still this lifestyle when coupled with illness cost money. I spend around 8,000 baht a month on doctors and medication. I have lost 12,000 baht a month from currency drops. So it is like 20,000 a month I have lost just for a start. 20,000 a month back home in Australia is my grocery bill. All my doctors bills and medical expenses are bulk billed. My lifestyle is the same in Australia. Like others here, my life is pretty good but looking at it on a financial side, I am going backwards. My insurance premiums here are just increasing each year and I cannot tell if they will ever reneg on a payment. It is hard now to say whatever is the best. Chiang Mai and it's smokey season sucks. I wish I had a answer for all of this. 

My medical bills are paid by America (VA).  My food bills and insurance premiums are much less because I can cure ham and bake bread and pizza and grind meat.  I left Chiang Mai years ago realizing one would have to be crazy to stay in that smoke and all the expats whinging at the bar. 

That's my answer. 

Edited by marcusarelus

5 hours ago, lkv said:

But he said: 

So that maybe has a deeper meaning. Do you perhaps understand what he was trying to say?

He advised me to read books and document myself more.

anybody that is trying to go deeper into it is wasting there time and maybe would be better off finding somewhere else to live.   

Do you perhaps understand what i am trying to say?

I came here for work 8 years ago as a new experience and in the first year here I met my now wife. We had two years living in England before moving back here in 2017 after getting married. In terms of my work I earn far more annually here and work less hours, add in the lifestyle and cost of living and we live a very easy life nowadays (I am 31, she's 29). We bought a house in Bangkok, two cars, regular holidays abroad etc. 

It will be interesting to see how I feel in 5 - 10 years about living here longer term when I guess we will have kids. There definitely is a change in the feeling here. 

42 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

I just like the country. Everything is convenient. Bangkok is a great city.

Asia is the future. In fact it is already better than most other continents. This is where progress is. And Thailand is probably one of the most livable Asian countries. The West is screwing itself letting in so much trash through the borders just to keep the economy going and there is no more progress over there.

I agree and for folks without a colonial prejudicial education it seems obvious.  It was probably rough growing up in a culture that had to justify centuries of abhorrent treatment of native peoples by trying to find problems with Asian people and this is what we see coming out here.  Difficult to hide.   

The alternative for example in 2007, Jim Rogers sold his mansion in New York City for about 16 million USD and moved to Singapore. Rogers claimed that he moved because now is a ground-breaking time for investment potential in Asian markets. Rogers's daughters speak fluent Mandarin to prepare them for the future. He is quoted as saying: "If you were smart in 1807 you moved to London, if you were smart in 1907 you moved to New York City, and if you are smart in 2007 you move to Asia.

To me Thailand is the budget Singapore and I moved in 2005.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 8:44 PM, SteveK said:

I must say the same thing. I came here because I learned to love Thai culture after visiting many years ago. Now the situation has become so toxic, that I would run a mile, if it weren't for the fact that I am married to a lovely Thai lady. If I was single I would get my shit together and leave the country ASAP. If my wife and I have a serious argument, or if anything happens to her, I am going to be on a plane to either Vietnam or the Philippines the same day.

90 day reports, TM30, spurious visa requirements - all foreigners in Thailand are treated as criminals. It's a very bad thing to say but sometimes I wish that I had not married a Thai.

What is so toxic? 

I havent noticed any change over past decade.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lucky100 said:

Try getting.your thai wife a visa for australia or nz, you'll soon find out racist and obstructive immigration are then, try being a person of colour going through their customs!!

My wife applied for a tourist visa to the US.  When she showed up for her interview at the American Consulate, they didn't even ask her any questions.  The American Consulate gave her a ten year tourist visa.  With this ten year visa, she can spend up to six months a year in the US.  Oh, and there is no monetary deposit required, no 90 day reporting, and no TM forms to fill out for various idiotic reasons.

US Immigration officers have always been curtious and friendly to my wife when she passes through their stations, with some even greeting her with a few Thai words.  

Thai Immigration treats me far different with their monetary requirements, 90 day reporting, TM forms for all movement, and now a "smart van" wandering the Thai streets looking for foreigners they can harass.

Your writting skills don't reflect one who is a native English speaker.  Are you a Thai posing as a westerner?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, madmen said:

Wrong gap cover applies to private health insurance not public..There are plenty of doctors that bulk bill and public hospitals are 100% free but of course elective surgery can take a year. If your not a pensioner and have a work permit here than what is the problem in staying in Thailand?

Wrong, the difference between the bulk bill amount that doctors can claim back from the federal government and the actual doctors consultancy fee is a gap payment or would you rather use a different term for the gap between the doctors fee and the bulk billable amount. The difference between the amount you get charged for private medical treatment and what private insurance cover will pay is also a gap payment. Yeah, some doctors surgery bulk bill but they are scarce and quite often that option is restricted to patients on benefits. As for your second statement, irrelevant to my comment.

17 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Yes I am a pensioner and I have free medicare and subsidized medication

and I realize you pay a medicare levy levy when you employed and every 

doctor I used so far did bulk billing 

I think bulk billing availability is higher for people on pensions and benefits, it was at the surgery that I used to attend and it was a sensible way to treat people from different income streams. I couldn't bulk bill but I only had to pay a gap payment as long as I used my medicare card though my father-in-law could bulk bill as he was a pensioner and fair enough. Considering that you paid medicare levies while you worked you will have well and truly paid your dues in regards to supporting the medicare system

17 hours ago, Parsve said:

The right word is farrang, and from the beginning it was a word to describe people from France. If you talk to educated thai people they all say farrang, but if you talk with "lower class" they will say fallangs as r is difficult to pronounce for them. So the answer is there is no right or wrong, it depends on what class of thais you used to be with.

According to the Royal Institute Dictionary 1999 farang means "a person of the white race".

I suppose it depends on which class of the white race you mix with.

3 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

I think bulk billing availability is higher for people on pensions and benefits, it was at the surgery that I used to attend and it was a sensible way to treat people from different income streams. I couldn't bulk bill but I only had to pay a gap payment as long as I used my medicare card though my father-in-law could bulk bill as he was a pensioner and fair enough. Considering that you paid medicare levies while you worked you will have well and truly paid your dues in regards to supporting the medicare system

Well the surgery I go to does not discriminate between workers and pensioners OK I do not know where you live but even before I became a pensioner I never paid the so called gap I always got bulk billed I guess it 

might vary from state to state and yes I know some doctors charge you and you have to claim it back

on medicare I had a cardial version done (reset my heart) before I became a pensioner and never paid

a cent

On 7/26/2019 at 9:50 AM, Parsve said:

The only rights I am asking for is that my reports should be equal handled whatever IO I go to and whatever officer that I happen to come to, that the police and other officials treat me as anyone else, even treat me as if I was a thai, that is what democracy is about, no one is “better than another”.  Probably there are corruption also in Australia (I have never been there so I do not know) and in USA, but in no way as it is in Thailand.

I also would like to see Thailand as a country, like other democratic countries where you not have to pay more for getting street food or get into for example a museum or a national park just because you are a “farrang”, that is another part of the democrat policy. I would like to see Thailand treat their own people equal never the less if they are poor or rich. I would like to see the police make people following the rules and laws that are decided of the government.

If you can tell me that any of those statement I have  mention above is wrong, I will apologise.

And you just noticed all this after 6 years??  As for paying more for street food, come on 5-10 baht more is a problem? 

There is double pricing in the USA. Take example amusement parks typically offer residents in those states a special price.

You want to be treated as a Thai? really?? I dont think you want that....