Why you as a farrang live in Thailand

Parsve

1 hour ago, lkv said:

Yeah, and it does not help when you live at Asok.

And when I am being suggested to "move somewhere else", because "it's not as bad as", I will perceive it as a limitation of my movements. Can't stay here, can't stay there.

Main reason I left.

So why keep posting? The thread about why people stay, not why they have left.

Go start a your own million page thread about why I hate Thailand and why I left. Don't forget to include I was a PhD candidate but I passed that up for a career as Dad said the opportunity to  get a promotion to assistant postmaster in Luton was a better prospect for steady money. Which I did. Then a friend of an old school mate told me about Thailand.

I met a bar girl when I was 65 and she told me she loved me. If she doesn't love me I will reduce her monthly allowance. 

Luckily she is pregnant and her other kids call me Boo Emptypockets. I am so immersed and loved.

Oops just realised it costs money to live this fantasy and I don't have any . Mate told me to join Thaivisa….

All good reasons to stay as the OP suggested.

Edited by emptypockets

8 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

So why keep posting?

Because I am free to complain about Thailand from outside of Thailand and talk about it's negatives.

Because I intend to travel into Thailand for short periods of time in the future.

There are good things in Thailand, but the negatives outweigh the positives, for me at least.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 7/26/2019 at 8:13 PM, steven100 said:

what rights do you expect ?

What rights do you get in Australia ? US  ? EU ?

On 7/26/2019 at 9:24 PM, brokenbone said:

the biggest reason is its too painful to move on to another country

On 7/26/2019 at 9:04 PM, Yinn said:

Where you live Thailand?

Where you meet wife?

Don’t stay if you don’t like thailand. Go quickly, enjoy your life.

Good luck in the next country. 

I meet my wife in the trade,, cashier , she speak Inglish  more than me. 

I Lucky ...555

Fyi EU , have a court of human rights .

Their decisions are biased towards non whites .. 

Edited by elliss
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

In the unbearably clear light of hindsight I should have invested most of my savings here...????

Nailed it. Those of us that Burnt our bridges and transferred all investments to Thailand are being well rewarded especially for those of us that travel OS a few times a year the baht is a killer currency In fact moving back to oz with my rent money paid in Thai baht is just starting to look extremely appealing..who would have thought that living off investments from a second world country to a 1st world was ever possible!!! but thats EXACTLY what's happening

Somebody will be along shortly to tell you there money is in the UK OZ or any where in europe where its safe ..cracks me up everytime 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, lkv said:

That's fine. I love multicultural environments.

It's funny to hear that statement coming from you, knowing you will never be fully integrated into this country, not even if you get Thai nationality.

Most likely, you will leave this world while on a extension of stay.

(Subject to Immigration approval next year, obviously).

Do you think Thailand is a multicultural country?  How many languages are spoken here?  How many different cultures are represented in Thailand.  Guessing, I'd say four times as many as in your country.  

50 minutes ago, madmen said:

Does she have tats? 

Of course not was not referring to one in a thousand but you knew that

She speaks 4 languages.  As do many of her friends.  Get to know some more Thai people and they will speak more English.  They don't speak with people they don't know.  

7 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Do you think Thailand is a multicultural country?  How many languages are spoken here?  How many different cultures are represented in Thailand.  Guessing, I'd say four times as many as in your country.  

Your Florida is probably more multicultural nowadays, as another poster was describing it.

But I will let others comment, I have never been to Florida.

Europe is quite multicultural, yes.

Edited by lkv

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

She speaks 4 languages.  As do many of her friends.  Get to know some more Thai people and they will speak more English.  They don't speak with people they don't know.  

I understand but westerners are not marrying 11 year old girls you completely lost the gist of my post. And if she is as smart as you say she is not going to marry a 30 year age gap harry the hump and return to her village to live..she will of course marry middle class Thai 

28 minutes ago, lkv said:

Well Marcus, i never lived in Thailand.

But I did travel into Thailand for extended periods of time, say 10 months out of 12, between 2011 and 2019.

It was not a personal attack, the point I was making was, maybe the Florida you remember from XYZ years ago, is not the same Florida of today, and the same goes for Vietnam.

Things change and they become more balanced.

Now, don't get me wrong, never been to Florida, so I will not comment on particular cases, and I am not in a rush to establish myself in Vietnam, but countries do change in time. Some for the better some for the worse.

Just like Thailand of 2019 is not Thailand of 2011. In my opinion, and many others' opinion,  it's been going in the wrong direction.

Now, you will say that it's all good great, positive changes, bad guys out etc, and I will say to you it has been run by an anti foreigner nationalistic corrupt Junta that Thais themselves complain about.

And we can have this never ending argument if you wish.

I talk to my children and grandchildren in Florida every day.  I doubt if I would be surprised by much.  I know a lot about Thailand from 1960's to today.  Vietnam I don't like.  I got kicked out of Thailand in 76 so why would you think I'm not used to corrupt military governments.  I understand Thailand and have the benefit of history to understand what's going on.  

I've never said Thailand was even close to being all good but you have no understanding of the country or people at all.  Live here for 10 years in different parts of the country.  This is a multicultural country and there are major differences depending on where you are and who you are with.  

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

I understand but westerners are not marrying 11 year old girls you completely lost the gist of my post. And if she is as smart as you say she is not going to marry a 30 year age gap harry the hump and return to her village to live..she will of course marry middle class Thai 

The majority of the family are college educated because they go to school for free.  My point is most Thai people are shy and will only speak English with you after they come to know you.  It took my driver 3 years before he started speaking English with me.  My wife is 30 years younger than I.  Although she is close to 50.  Makes a difference eh?  Stereotyping is always a problem.  

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I got kicked out of Thailand in 76 so why would you think I'm not used to corrupt military governments.  I understand Thailand and have the benefit of history to understand what's going on.  

Ok so basically, you are used to military regimes, you had so much of them that it doesn't bother you anymore.

Ok then.

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Internet surveillance is not the same as internet censorship. That Wiki article indicated that 110,000 websites are blocked from access in Thailand.  Sure, you can use a VPN, but why the censorship? (Rhetorical question).

Interestingly, when I lived in Myanmar, I never found any internet censorship.  Anti-government websites could be accessed.  I never had to use a VPN.  (Of course, the lack of internet censorship in Myanmar may be because they haven't got a clue how to implement it technically!)

Agreed. My brother warns me the internet from Myanmar is monitored...fing joking. Where I live the cops are too scared to leave the station, and according to my Burmese friends, the road is the major route for precursor and actual meth from China on its way to Thailand and beyond.

Just now, marcusarelus said:

I didn't say that at all.  I guess English is not your first language.  

Well surely other native English speakers will understand better what you've just said.

18 minutes ago, lkv said:

Because I am free to complain about Thailand from outside of Thailand and talk about it's negatives.

Because I intend to travel into Thailand for short periods of time in the future.

There are good things in Thailand, but the negatives outweigh the positives, for me at least.

Excsuse me ,

there are more than enough resident alien farlangs complaing about thailand, on TVForums .

However that said , many short times ,  are far better , more cost effective , no buy house. 

I should know . 555

4 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Only medicare isnt free in Australia unless you are on a pension or some form of government benefits. Employees pay a medicare levy as part of the compulsory tax component on their gross income, or a reduced levy if they take out private health insurance. The fact that its a compulsory tax that is automatically garnished from ones gross income doesn't equate to a free healthcare system. Then add to the fact that most doctors in Australia don't bulk bill and charge their patients a gap payment means that health cover is far from free. 

Yes I am a pensioner and I have free medicare and subsidized medication

and I realize you pay a medicare levy levy when you employed and every 

doctor I used so far did bulk billing 

1 hour ago, madmen said:

I couldn't disagree more! My only interaction with Thais is in an expat community lower Sukhumvit where they bring me food or bring their body . I need interaction with Thai or Indian men like a hole in the head

All the drama I see comes from stupid farang trying to live in his ex bargirls village surrounded by hillbilly thais. And yes if she speaks English it most certainly wasn't from a university just to go back to her village. Cunning ex bar girls and their redneck relatives are probably the biggest source of grief for all old expats

rent rent rent and life is amazing and keep your life assets close to your chest !!

And you my friend, are the root cause of all problems for foreigners living in Thailand.

No interaction and utter contempt for the nationals apart from banging their women.

Go Big Oud...get this one next...please!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, lkv said:

Oh wow. It's yours 100% if you don't marry?

Never heard of this before in my country.

What's yours is yours . Live together, shag, etc etc but without the marriage certificate, all bets are off. Defacto is  not recognsed in Thailand. A girlfriend has zero claim on your goodies.

• Sad 1

45 minutes ago, elliss said:

Excsuse me ,

there are more than enough resident alien farlangs complaing about thailand, on TVForums .

However that said , many short times ,  are far better , more cost effective , no buy house. 

I should know . 555

Farlang again, wonder how he pronounces it.

And the OP with farrang, I can guess how he pronounces that. I wonder how many thais understand it.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, Fuggoyu said:

None of you farangs have any business being in Thailand. Go home losers

Well, some of us will fore sure do, but before you start writing you maybe should think a little. Tourism is the second largest income for Thailand, rice is the first. But without the tourists, what you think for instance Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin would look like? Believe me it would be ghost townes and thousands of people with no work. Thailand is a undeveloped land that without the ability to stand on its own legs without tourism and people from other countries make investments here. But it is of course up to you if you would like to go back 60 years or more.  

Edited by Parsve
Misspelling
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Parsve said:

Well, some of us will fore sure do, but before you start writing you maybe shoud think a little. Tourism is the second largest income for Thailand, rice is the first. But without the tourists, what you think for instance Pattaya, Phuket or Hua Hin would look like? Believe me it would be ghost townes and thousands of people with no work. Thailand is a undeveloped land that without the ability to stand on its own legs without tourism and people from other countries make investments here. But it is of course up to you if you would like to go back 60 years or more.  

You are obviously unaware of the  manufacturing infrastructure of Thailand .

Where international companies , across the globe have relocated to Thailand.

Reasons being , cheap labour , etc ..